IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

After Braking pulls Left then right

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
KMueller
Year and Model: 2005 xc90
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
KMueller

After Braking pulls Left then right

Post by KMueller » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:28 pm

A little while back my vehicle started having trouble steering so I replaced the power-steering pump. It turned out it was not the pump it was the steering rack. The rack has been replaced and so has the Tie Rod Ends (upper and lower), bushings and tires. The brakes are not worn out at all. The rotors were also turned. I also have good tread on all 4 tires. The alignment and camber was done after replacing the steering rack. Someone told me that its possible the steering column was not set into the rack properly when the mechanic replaced it. The steering wheel is still slightly turned to the right after the alignment and camber were done. when driving down the road it doesn't pull. Its only when braking it jerks to the left then to the right. Any advise because I thought I covered all my bases.........

joejoethedogfaceboy
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 2012 XC60 3.2L
United States of America
joejoethedogfaceboy

Re: After Braking pulls Left then right

Post by joejoethedogfaceboy » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:11 pm

Could be one or both of the control arms. There's a thread from October that is relevant: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=82464&p=453034&hil ... rm#p453034

I got a quote from an independent shop to replace mine - because I didn't have the time nor inclination to do it myself - but ended up parting ways with the XC90 and replaced it with a newer XC60. (I also had a long lingering starting issue that i could never fix, so figured it wasn't worth it to keep putting money into my XC90.)

I've not dealt with a steering column before, so can't comment on it being misaligned in the steering rack. You might just need to tell the alignment shop to make the steering wheel straight. I've had that issue before on a car only because the shop just aligned the wheels and never bothered to look at the rotation of the steering wheel. <shrug>
2012 XC60 3.2
2012 S60 T5
2004 XC90 2.5T (SOLD 11/2017)
1999 S70 GLT (24hrs of Lemons bound...)

difflock54
Year and Model: V40 Nordic 2002
New Zealand
difflock54

Post by difflock54 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:15 pm

Suspiciously like possible frozen or partially frozen brake calipers??
Check the disc pads have been installed properly too.

ggleavitt
Year and Model: XC90 05-2.5T, 08-V8S
United States of America
ggleavitt

Post by ggleavitt » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:39 pm

+1 on LCA, classic dip and recover, surprised with everything else these were not replaced.

For sure alignment after the fact, someone ought to be able to fix the steering wheel orientation.
2005 2.5T AWD-200k
2008 V8 AWD Sport-130k

FLXC90
Year and Model: 98 V70 T5
United States of America
FLXC90

Post by FLXC90 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:52 am

+ another one on LCAs. It made a night and day difference on mine. Take the car back to where you had it aligned and have them straighten the steering wheel. Also, LCA change does not require another alignment.
Current Volvos:
1998 V70 T5, 112k sat 5 years, still in mechanical coma (finally at the top of the pile )
2004 XC90 T6 AWD: 186k, 60 on transaxle ( traded in )
1998 POS70 N/A: DD/training aid, 236k but really about 240k, I think...ABS module( passed on to son who sold it)

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:07 pm

Was it doing it before all these repairs? Many parts were replaced, hopefully the mechanic used only quality brands, as the market is flooded with brands that fail in very short time, even months, especially the bushings

The fact the steering wheel stays turned when driving straight indicates the alignment was poorly done: this makes me think the mechanic might not have done a good job. Just today at the scrapyard I found a car with the inner tie rod not tightened at the steering rack. So a mistake can happen, some mechanics don't work well. Even having the steering rack replaced because the steering was heavy is very suspicious: most of the times is just a simple sensor at the rack. I'd definitely have the car looked at by a second garage.