IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

XC90 T6 prop shaft centre support bearing

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
cass3958
Year and Model: 04 XC90 T6
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Great Britain
cass3958

XC90 T6 prop shaft centre support bearing

Post by cass3958 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:11 pm

I was getting a ticking noise when cold which means the prop shaft U/J bearings are on the way out. Changing the front and centre U/J bearings is simple and can be bought off ebay. I also want to change the large rubber support bearing on the centre of the prop shaft. I have the shaft off and have split it in two halves. Question is how do you remove the rubber support bearing from the shaft please? The rubber support bearing appears to be pressed on but the end of the shaft is a larger diameter than the internal diameter of the bearing. Does the end of the shaft also come off and if so how?
Thanks in anticipation
Attachments
DSCF2831.JPG
DSCF2832.JPG

wanderdüne
Year and Model: 2004, 2006 XC90 2.5T
United States of America
wanderdüne

Re: XC90 T6 prop shaft centre support bearing

Post by wanderdüne » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:50 am

I am reasonably sure that the center bearing is not replaceable. Colorado Driveshaft can supply a reasonably priced replacement shaft.

cass3958
Great Britain
cass3958

Post by cass3958 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:14 pm

Thanks but Colorado drive shafts are a long way from the South of England.
You can buy this support bearing as a spare part and I can think of no reason why Volvo would make a prop shaft that had a bearing set in the middle of it which could not be removed. How did they get it on in the first place?
I have handed it over to a garage to have a look at it with all their pullers and presses.

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
United States of America
SuperHerman

Post by SuperHerman » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:58 pm

On the XC70 recently discussed it was learned that some prop shafts are welded. The only way to service them is to cut them, remove and replace carrier bearing, reweld and balance.

It is possible your prop shaft is a similar design as the XC70 discussed. Without seeing more pictures of the end and side views of the end it is hard to determine if your prop shaft has a nut and circlip holding it together as some Volvo prop shafts are constructed, or if your prop shaft is welded.

Keep us posted and put up some pictures. Interesting and helpful topic.

cass3958
Great Britain
cass3958

Post by cass3958 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:14 am

Interesting. Mine has no circlip or nut holding it in place but I cannot believe Volvo would weld the end plate on there by making the centre support bearing non replaceable.
I have sent an email to Colorado drive shafts to ask for some advice even though they are on the other side of the world to me and I will keep you updated.