IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

chasing the anti skid gremlin

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
ylwgto
Year and Model: 2004 volvo xc90
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
ylwgto

chasing the anti skid gremlin

Post by ylwgto » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:08 am

hi
2005 xc90 2.5t with DSTC, 182,000mi

I know there are tons of threads on the toipc, I've read them. My questions are a bit different.

The Anti Skid service light has been on ever since I bough the car. I have an ICarsoft volvo unit scanner that I use to run diagnostics and clear codes/faults, but cannot "connect" to the steering angle sensor (SAS) system to diagnose faults.

Based on the forum saying a common problem was the clockspring, i bought a DSTC appropriate SAS clockspring and installed it (behind airbag) then recalibrated the system using the ICarsoft unit. Antiskid still there.

before I start chasing the problem and buying other potential parts like the yaw sensor etc etc, I want to find out if taking it to a dealer for a "proper" scan will tell me exactly which component of the system is causing the fault. I'm in NYC, so avoiding a dealer is a high priority due to cost. Any other workarounds?

Also, is there a way to determine if the AWD is in fact compromised by the Anti Skid warning? If it isn', I may just learn to live with the annoying dash message.

Thanks

ggleavitt
Year and Model: XC90 05-2.5T, 08-V8S
United States of America
ggleavitt

Re: chasing the anti skid gremlin

Post by ggleavitt » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:11 pm

You've likely looked around and noted the "Anti-Skid Service Required" message as being pretty generic, bunch of components on their own and in combination can produce this notification. A Volvo DICE and VIDA will give you the exact module codes to work with for identifying a source. If you have any codes being reported to your current device, please post them. Better than nothing…

ABS wheel sensors, yaw and steering sensors, DEM, Haldex pump and/or pressure switch are some possible contributors that come to mind but could be others. Sometimes if the yaw sensor goes out of calibration (like the time I did not wait long enough after operating the car before disconnecting the battery on a repair, was resolved by running BCM calibration in VIDA) you'll get this message.

Could be more than one thing, and I'm guessing you’ll have some codes being stored on the car that'll give you an idea where to look next.

Highly likely not your issue but if you get the chance with the car on level ground, cooled down and in Park (e-brake on or off does not matter), reach up under and try to give the driveline a turn, should not move more than a few degrees (slack/lash). If the driveline spins at all, your angle gear (and AWD) is not functioning. This failure mode does not usually result in any codes or messages but would be good to get that out of the way so you know what's NOT a contributor to your issue.

2005 2.5T AWD-194k
2008 V8 AWD Sport-124k

ylwgto
United States of America
ylwgto

Post by ylwgto » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:21 pm

ggleavitt wrote: ↑
Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:11 pm
You've likely looked around and noted the "Anti-Skid Service Required" message as being pretty generic, bunch of components on their own and in combination can produce this notification. A Volvo DICE and VIDA will give you the exact module codes to work with for identifying a source. If you have any codes being reported to your current device, please post them. Better than nothing…

ABS wheel sensors, yaw and steering sensors, DEM, Haldex pump and/or pressure switch are some possible contributors that come to mind but could be others. Sometimes if the yaw sensor goes out of calibration (like the time I did not wait long enough after operating the car before disconnecting the battery on a repair, was resolved by running BCM calibration in VIDA) you'll get this message.

Could be more than one thing, and I'm guessing you’ll have some codes being stored on the car that'll give you an idea where to look next.

Highly likely not your issue but if you get the chance with the car on level ground, cooled down and in Park (e-brake on or off does not matter), reach up under and try to give the driveline a turn, should not move more than a few degrees (slack/lash). If the driveline spins at all, your angle gear (and AWD) is not functioning. This failure mode does not usually result in any codes or messages but would be good to get that out of the way so you know what's NOT a contributor to your issue.

Super helpful, thanks.
I cannot get any codes related to the DSTC or the SAS with my rather simple iCarsoft code scanner...it can't connect to the system module (scares me that it is a DEM issue??).

Anyone know of any friendly members in the NYC area with VIDA/DICE to help me out for **beer**? I really despise the NYC Volvo dealership.

I have a significant "whine" coming from the left (driver footwell area) front of the car between 45-68mph. Intensity and pitch increase as a function of vehicle speed (not RPM) and it trails off above 70mph. I thought it might be something funky with the Haldex or angle gear, but have just been tolerating it. Maybe related to the Anti Skid? I'll test the driveshaft and report back.

Thanks!!

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
United States of America
SuperHerman

Post by SuperHerman » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:24 pm

Have you used the built in system check? Do a search and you will find how to initiate it. Basically it runs through all the modules and tells you what is and is not communicating. Start here and report back. I had the same issue and my problem ended up being a corroded connector at the steering wheel module. The module was fine, the parts upstream were fine, but the connection plug was not - hence info could not flow through. There are three modules/parts up front and then two other areas to look.

Clockspring you did, SAS module (is yours built into the clock spring) and then steering wheel module. Next is the yaw sensor (known to get wet and go bad - disconnect yours and examine for water damage) - then the DEM which could be the actual DEM module, pump, temp/pressure sensor or solenoid, but could be entire Haledex piece.

You can start unplugging things and see how the internal built in system changes - maybe this will shed some light on your problem.

Your "whine" could be several things. On my 2004 XC90 it ended up being the wheel bearing - your description is similar to mine. I changed everything hunting it down (transmission, engine mounts, struts, CV axles, bevel gear, other gear, front drive axle CV ...). The wheel bearing passed all of the standard tests and was changed out b/c everything else had already been replaced. Nothing left in my bank account or on the car. Check your fluid levels and bearing play for the AWD system - look for leaks. Front drive shaft joint near the cat is a known issue - the grease gets old and fails. Cleaning and repacking sometimes works. Either way it is fairly easy to do and worth a look. When it is disconnected you can check the bevel gear assembly for smoothness and problems.

ylwgto
United States of America
ylwgto

Post by ylwgto » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:45 pm

Sweet (advice, not the associated effort involved in troubleshooting it)!

Forgot to mention that the “whine” is only when on the gas. No noise while coasting, regardless of speed. To me that rules out left front wheel bearing (plus my right bearing is dying and I’m also ignoring that noise...more of a whoosh whoosh grind). Perhaps that narrows possibilities?

I’ll dig in this weekend
Really appreciate tips.

SuperHerman
United States of America
SuperHerman

Post by SuperHerman » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:57 pm

Whine -- What happens when you are doing 60mph and you put it in neutral? Try various speeds, go slightly over where it starts so you can check as it slows down.

As you have the 2.5T I would focus on the bevel gear and the front drive shaft CV.

ggleavitt
Year and Model: XC90 05-2.5T, 08-V8S
United States of America
ggleavitt

Post by ggleavitt » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:49 pm

^^ Good point, could well be either of those.

If this were an earlier model V8 or 3.2, I might have suggested the rear diff as a possible. While not overly common, there have been a few reported failures, pinion bearing race I think which eventually starts whining then you get some wobble and it get worse from there.

Bad news is it costs close to $3k to replace as OE "exchange", good news is it's is the same component as in a couple other Ford PAG models (LR2 Discovery as example) so you can get them rebuilt if the internals are okay.

Know I'm digressing from the OP's model and powertrain but wanted to mention since this got me thinking about other areas of possible whining- If you do an internet search for "xc90 rear differential rebuild", you'll see a few links on the subject.

2005 2.5T AWD-194k
2008 V8 AWD Sport-124k

ylwgto
United States of America
ylwgto

Post by ylwgto » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:24 am

Hooked my code reader back up to car this weekend. Good news, no DTC in DEM. Still unable to connect to SAS (see pics). It is able to connect to SWM (no DTC). There was a lateral accelerometer code in the ABS system. I cleared it and tried recalibrating the DSTC system again. Anti Skid Service light still there.

Have not begun to tackle front end noise yet, but can describe the whine like this:
-present from 45-68mph
-only present under load, whine stops when off the gas
-loudness and pitch increase as a function of speed
-no fluctuation with engine rpm

Thanks all
Attachments
IMG_1295.jpg
IMG_1295.jpg (26.04 KiB) Viewed 969 times
IMG_1294.jpg
IMG_1294.jpg (32.26 KiB) Viewed 969 times
IMG_1292.jpg
IMG_1292.jpg (28 KiB) Viewed 969 times
IMG_1293.jpg
IMG_1293.jpg (30.43 KiB) Viewed 969 times
IMG_1291.jpg
IMG_1291.jpg (32.59 KiB) Viewed 969 times
IMG_1290.jpg
IMG_1290.jpg (26.57 KiB) Viewed 969 times
IMG_1289.jpg
IMG_1289.jpg (32.9 KiB) Viewed 969 times
IMG_1288.jpg
IMG_1288.jpg (32.15 KiB) Viewed 969 times

SuperHerman
United States of America
SuperHerman

Post by SuperHerman » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:32 am

Where is your SAS module on your car? Is it part of the clockspring or is it clipped to your CEM? Right around 2005 they switched the design and the SAS module became part of the clockspring.

Have you gone back and looked at all your connections - looking for corrosion of the pins and socket? What did your original clockspring look like - any signs of liquid intrusion or damage?

Do you still have the 2004 XC90 listed on your signature? On my 2004 XC90 the SAS module is clipped to the CEM - if both designs are the same you can try swapping them out and seeing what happens. I bought a used SAS module for $22 delivered off Ebay.

ylwgto
United States of America
ylwgto

Post by ylwgto » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:41 am

Sorry, typo. the car is a 2004.

When I changed the clockspring, there was no sign of water or corrosion (it was dirty, but pins all looked good)

the replacement I bought came attached to the entire steering wheel module (which I've read are serial # specific and cannot be reprogrammed). I unscrewed the clockspring from the replacement module and installed that in the car. I was under the assumption that the SAS was part of the clockspring, meaning it was incorporated somehow. If not, is is possible I swapped the replacement clockspring into the car without also incorporating the "new" SAS? Both units has the yellow marker that you need to align in the window before installing. What does the "SAS module is clipped to the CEM" look like and where is the CEM?

Thanks!