IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

chasing the anti skid gremlin

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
ylwgto
Year and Model: 2004 volvo xc90
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
ylwgto

Re: chasing the anti skid gremlin

Post by ylwgto » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:44 am

My driver side sunroof drain was disconnected from the A-pillar drain hole. I've since repaired that on both sides, but there is definitely a history of water in the driver floor board. I suspect the yaw sensor may have been wet, btu have no idea if it is bad or good and don't want to replace it until I know it is shot (PITA to pull carpet and unbolt seat on NYC streets).

Thought I'd mention that though.

Bottom line is i got the car for $1400 and don't expect too much from it. it drives great, but I'd like to try and ensure the AWD is active before winter in NYC (and address the whine at some point).

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
United States of America
SuperHerman

Post by SuperHerman » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:44 pm

For the Yaw sensor there are a number of videos on it. The job is not that difficult, but then I have never done it.

For the clock spring - did the part numbers match?

Like I said in my earlier post Volvo made a design change and brought the SAS module up - in my 2004 XC90 it is not up, but snaps into the side of the CEM. You can find videos on changing out the CEM and on the right side of the CEM would be the SAS module if it is separate from the clock spring. Not difficult to get to - just take off one cover under the steering wheel and do some body bending.

ylwgto
United States of America
ylwgto

Post by ylwgto » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:50 pm

SuperHerman wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:44 pm
For the clock spring - did the part numbers match?

Like I said in my earlier post Volvo made a design change and brought the SAS module up - in my 2004 XC90 it is not up, but snaps into the side of the CEM. You can find videos on changing out the CEM and on the right side of the CEM would be the SAS module if it is separate from the clock spring. Not difficult to get to - just take off one cover under the steering wheel and do some body bending.
Thanks.

Original
clockspring part number: 8622186 (my 2004)

Replacement
clockspring part number: 8622186 (from an '04 with DTSC)

Attached is a pic of my original clockspring (loosely screwed into the replacement SWM that I did not use). is there a way to determine visually if this has the SAS on it (vs. on the CEM)? If not, I'll look under dash, just haven't had time yet

The only info I can find for a replacement CEM-style SAS is from Xemodex and it is $$$!
https://xemodex.com/us/product/steering ... 998-10-20/

Thanks for all the help
Attachments
IMG_1297.jpg
IMG_1297.jpg (143.91 KiB) Viewed 511 times

ylwgto
United States of America
ylwgto

Post by ylwgto » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:22 pm

Ok, I think I've answered my own question.

2003-4 clockspring part# 8622186
https://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/127812 ... g-8622186/

2005-14 clockspring part#31313084
https://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/63149/ ... -31313084/

So, I may have changed my clockspring for nothing given the SAS is located down on the CEM?!

Where can I get a new 2004 SAS? I cannot find one anywhere except for the already referenced Xemodex, but that is way too costly of an option.

Thanks!

SuperHerman
United States of America
SuperHerman

Post by SuperHerman » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:06 am

I bought a used one off Ebay. This may not be your problem, but here is the part number: 8691998.

Searching the internet I see new ones for about $250, but you will need to have software loaded. This module is used in a number of Volvo cars of similar era - hence I assume the software may be vehicle specific and that is why it comes "empty".

I just checked Ebay "Volvo XC90 8691998" and there are a number of SAS modules listed. If you look at the listings for the CEM that pop up for above listed entry, right now two, and look at the pictures you will see the SAS module. One listing has it attached the other has it off to the side.

For my swap I did like for like model year and had no issues. The software is already loaded, at least it should be. Hope this helps.
These users thanked the author SuperHerman for the post:
352pro

ylwgto
United States of America
ylwgto

Post by ylwgto » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:52 am

Great, I’ll give this a shot next

When you swapped did you disconnect battery? Any recalibration thereafter? Other steps?

ylwgto
United States of America
ylwgto

Post by ylwgto » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:38 am

....so just to be clear:

Volvo XC90 8691998 = "Traction control Module" in all my searches. Is this the same thins as a SAS that is incorporated into the clockspring in 2005+ vehicles (31313084)? Want to be sure I buy the right part to try.

thanks again for all the advice!

SuperHerman
United States of America
SuperHerman

Post by SuperHerman » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:01 am

I have not actually seen the module that is on the newer cars, only the one on my XC90. I would use part numbers - you can use the one provided above or better look at the one on you vehicle. You can unsnap it from the CEM without disturbing anything - or maybe a mirror will show you the part number. Just pull off that access panel under the steering wheel that runs the length of the driver side foot well. Xemodex has a video on how to remove the CEM and it will clarify the steps. The module is on the right.

If you are going to disconnect anything electrical other than the light on the access panel I would pull the battery.

ggleavitt
Year and Model: XC90 05-2.5T, 08-V8S
United States of America
ggleavitt

Post by ggleavitt » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:00 pm

To add to the above, if disconnecting the battery after the car has been driven, please wait 5 minutes for the modules to write out and/or save just to play it safe.

I did a disconnect for an unrelated electrical component replacement many years ago on my '05 right after pulling into the garage and ended up having to do a recalibration on my BCM (yaw sensor out of range) to get rid of the error code and the antiskid message.

2005 2.5T AWD-194k
2008 V8 AWD Sport-124k

ylwgto
United States of America
ylwgto

Post by ylwgto » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:12 pm

thanks all!

going to confirm the car has the SAS (aka TCM) next to the CEM under the dash. If it is there, I'll buy a used '04 XC90 TCM from ebay (have my eye on one) and do the swap.

Hopefully that is the issue! I'm willing to invest $25 in a possible fix, but if it doesn't clear it up I fear I'll have to visit the dealer, pay $200 and get the "real" codes read rathe than chasing the error blindly.

BTW, if this does fix it I'll have 2 perfectly functioning '04 XC90 clocksprings available since that part is apparently unrelated to my issue being that the SAS isn't a part of it on this year!

TBC