IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Volvo modules repair and programming
Please use the MVS Amazon link when you buy anything at all! It helps this site. Thanks very much!

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Thermostat and upper radiator hose removal help please!

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
mtxguy888
Year and Model: 2007 XC90

Thermostat and upper radiator hose removal help please!

Post by mtxguy888 »

Hello everyone. I have a 2007 XC90 3.2l and currently I’m trying to replace the thermostat housing. My issue is that I do you remove the radiator hose off the thermostat housing. Any help will be appreciated thanks. I posted the picture of how it looks thanks
Attachments
161EDFE1-C006-43E0-9643-FA9EB67EB3BA.jpeg
5CB17E2D-5003-4495-A307-422B2AE29BCB.jpeg
SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90

Re: Thermostat and upper radiator hose removal help please!!

Post by SuperHerman »

Looks like you have the new hose design. Also looks like you pulled out the holding clip as I see the slot is empty. It looks like a U but square with funny opposing legs on the ends. Once the clip is pulled off completely or to its resting state the hose should pull STRAIGHT out. The hose end seals with an internal rubber O-ring and the U clip prevents it from backing out. Sometimes they get stuck and require more effort to remove. I cannot tell if the discoloration is from coolant leakage, dirt or both. This crud is what is causing some of your fight. You can try rotating it with gentle force, rock it with gentle force and maybe spray it with some silicon. I repeat gentle force. Some connections have alignment groves and/or built in plastic pins which can be damaged. If gentle hand force fails maybe try a small crowbar or screw driver and wedge it in and force it up. Looking at the picture putting a small crow bar in there and rotating it will apply the correct pressure. Again be aware of the alignment groves and/or built in plastic pins.

On the middle left of your picture I see what looks like a smaller U shaped clip on another hose. This is a similar set up, but it is the opposite approach. The hose plugs in rather than slides on to like the larger hose in the middle of the picture.
mtxguy888

Post by mtxguy888 »

ok thanks I tried ti just pull it out. but there was no clip on the hose. I seen the hose brand new with the clip but in my case I have not touch anything there. I tried to grab the hose with pliers and turn it left like unscrew it but I didn't want to force it. ill give the pulling or using a breaker bar or something and pry it out and see. thanks. if anyone wish to chime in please do so
oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003

Post by oragex »

Careful not to damage it, especially with pliers. I usually just push against it where it ends with a flat screw driver all around a little bit until it gives up. Help to have the engine warmed up a little
SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90

Post by SuperHerman »

Look at this link from this vendor. One of the three pictures as an internal view of the connection point. You can clearly see the clip and how it functions plus the little plastic pin.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo- ... 31319441oe

This should give you a good idea of how the system works. I like the suggestion of pushing it down by oragex. Not having that clip there is an issue as nothing is holding that hose in place save for dirt and buildup. Maybe the clip is still there.
mtxguy888

Re: Thermostat and upper radiator hose removal help please!

Post by mtxguy888 »

Thanks. Here are pictures of the new thermostat housing. So you can see how the inlet to where the radiator hose goes down n
Attachments
CA7CED32-92D5-4EFE-8100-5BA067BD427B.jpeg
CA10262F-1189-41C7-8E19-AD1A6873DB8A.jpeg