IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

08 3.2 AWD Cransk but no start (Video included) Topic is solved

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
dandan
Year and Model: 2008 Volvo XC90 3.2
United States of America
dandan

Re: 08 3.2 AWD Cransk but no start (Video included)

Post by dandan » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:36 pm

I pulled codes this past weekend, I guess its a fuel pump. still not super clear (to me) by the codes themselves. If the pump has a fault wouldn't it just send a faulty fuel pump code of some sort?
These codes were pulled after I finally got the car to start, I took it around the block trying my hardest to get the thing running by feathering the gas pedal. I couldn't let off and I couldn't floor it or it would die. I can no longer start the vehicle. Now it is parked up on an incline. Does that mean the fuel pump can't get the fuel up the "hill"? Cheapest I could find a pump for is a $230 delphi. When I depress the fuel rail valve just a puff of air comes out after I turn the key to position II.
NEW CODES.PNG
NEW CODES.PNG (24.36 KiB) Viewed 271 times

jimmy57
Year and Model: 2004 V70R GT, et al
jimmy57

Post by jimmy57 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:31 pm

p008700 is that code. The codes for fuel pressure sensor being unplugged, P018000 and P019000 are concerning so make sure it is plugged in securely. The 5 and 6 cylinder misfire codes are often in cars that run out of fuel with the 6 cylinder engine. The fuel line comes in at th other end of fuel rail so those cylinders get starved it seems when fuel supply is low.
The PEM is connected to the pump but the PEM is not a module on that car that can communicate back to the ECM.

dandan
United States of America
dandan

Post by dandan » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:26 pm

I went ahead and ordered a fuel pump. I'm still not sure that is the problem. I'm just kind of surprised that with all these sensors and computers in this vehicle if a pump fails that doesn't trigger its own DTC, of course i'm not an automotive engineer and i'm sure they have their reasons. Its been sitting for almost 2 months, with no money for a mechanic I figured this would have been a simple fix next to spending hours and hours trying to get vida working on a dozen laptops, it still is too vague and I still feel like I'm throwing money blindly at it.

I did change the fuel pressure sensor so it may have tripped it when I attempted to start the vehicle with the sensor off to see if that made any kind of change. P.S. it didn't

dandan
United States of America
dandan

Post by dandan » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:51 am

Replaced the fuel pump on friday night, its running like brand new. The old pump still pumps, but not at any kind of operating pressure. I'm going to keep it and tinker with it a bit to see if I can locate the actual problem. Also, while tearing out the back seats I noticed that everything has been accessed before. The area access to the fuel pump was already cut, seems its been replaced in this vehicle before... Third fuel pump in 125k miles?
These users thanked the author dandan for the post:
Turbo_Boss