IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

2004 XC90 Body Frame (Hit by Tow Hitch) Question

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
cn90
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
cn90

2004 XC90 Body Frame (Hit by Tow Hitch) Question

Post by cn90 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:32 pm

Hi everyone,

- Looking at 2004 XC90 2.5T with 100K for my son to use in college.

- Car looks fine, requiring some work but overall not bad.

- When I opened the hood I saw the "Front Bar" indentation, pushed back about 3/4 inch or so.
My theory is that the XC90 hit a Tow Hitch (such as XC90 going 5 mph forward and hit another car with Tow Hitch).

- Car drives straight, no issues.

- Anyway, with this minor push back of the Front Bar from a minor accident, do you guys see any issues. I personally do not think it is an issue but just curious what the crowd here would say.

- Here is a drawing that I tried my best to draw...

XC90.jpg
XC90.jpg (68.76 KiB) Viewed 222 times
2004 V70 2.5T 100K+
2005 XC90 2.5T 110K+

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Re: 2004 XC90 Body Frame (Hit by Tow Hitch) Question

Post by oragex » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:44 am

Doesn't seem big deal to me. If this happened a while ago, look at the front tires for even wear across the width and for traces of 'cupping' (threads with torn rubber). But I don't think with such a small dent.

While there, google a bit about awd issues with this car - haldex, angle gear

Rattnalle
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T
Sweden
Rattnalle

Post by Rattnalle » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:51 am

It takes much more than a 5 mph hit to bend the front collision bar or whatever it's called in english. That's a really thick piece of steel designed to spread forces from offset frontal crashes. Not something that bends from rolling into the car in front. I'm guessing the car has had the entire front trim and probably some other stuff around it replaced as well. Any receipts?

Personally I'd consider a car with such a large dent there compromised when it comes to safety. Life's too fragile to take such risks just to save a few dollars.

ReedTX
Year and Model: 2008 XC90
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
ReedTX

Post by ReedTX » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:29 am

The front bumper reinforcement is affixed to both of the front frame rails. It's pretty hard to bend the reinforcement bar without causing indirect damage to the frame rails. It is possible they only took minor damage at the points where they mount to the reinforcement and are not affecting the suspension alignment, but it is also quite possible that the frame rail bent further back and will be manifested during any attempts to align the vehicle.

Standard industry time for a "setup and measure" is 2 labor hours- usually around $100 depending on what part of the country you are in. Check with a local body or frame shop and see if they will be willing to measure it for you, and if the owner will agree to letting you have it measured before purchasing.

If it is out of spec, they can likely pull it and correct it. In that case, be prepared to pay a few hours of labor to remove the front bumper assembly, quite a few dollars to replace the damaged reinforcement, and a few more hours to pull the frame rails.