IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? πŸ€”
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Hit a deer with our 2004 XC90 T6

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
shiloh51933
Year and Model: 04 XC70/'98 V70XC
United States of America
shiloh51933

Hit a deer with our 2004 XC90 T6

Post by shiloh51933 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:05 am

So after 3 weeks of owning our beautiful 2004 XC90 T6 a pack of deer run out of hedges and in front of me. I was only going about 30mph but the deer was also running about 30mph, so bam!! It doesn't look so bad and still driveable but it's just over $3k worth of damage. The radiator support is bent a bit, grill broken, hood push in, can't barely open hood now and bumper cover has a little bit of damage.
My question to my fellow MVS members is this;
Does anyone have a front bumper push bar, brush bar/guard or bull bar?
I know there's plenty of aftermarket push bars/bull bars out there but those aren't made to fit the XC90.
I'm going to use the collision insurance to help pay for the damage since 3-4k is too much out of pocket. So after the work is finished I'd like to protect the front end as much as possible. I live in LINY and the deer population is larger than the human population on Eastern LINY. It's actually such a big problem with deer right now that our County is getting ready to take action to lower the deer population. Anyway I'd appreciate any information and pics would be great.
5038.jpeg
You can see the gap now between between headlight and bumper cover. The radiator support is slightly pushed in and I'm having real issues opening hood since everything was moved.
Attachments
20181018_100937.jpg
If U Wanna Play U Gotta Pay!!

June
Year and Model: 2004 S80 T6
United States of America
June

Re: Hit a deer with our 2004 XC90 T6

Post by June » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:28 am

Dont go aftermarket on a structure piece, accept used if not new Volvo. After all you want the correct accident performance in the future. Looks like the car did it's job protecting you. June
My Volvo cars owned
1989 740 GLT ordered
1994 850 4door standard shift ordered
1996 960 ordered
1998 S90 ordered totalled after 3 weeks
1998 V70 GT dealer stock car
2002 S80 T6 ordered totalled
2004 S80 T6 dealer stock car and current car owned

shiloh51933
United States of America
shiloh51933

Post by shiloh51933 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:42 am

June wrote: ↑
Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:28 am
Dont go aftermarket on a structure piece, accept used if not new Volvo. After all you want the correct accident performance in the future. Looks like the car did it's job protecting you. June
Thank you for your response June. Yes Volvo does great protecting passengers of there vehicles, that's one of the main reasons I bought our first Volvo(1996 Volvo 850GLT). I'm not quite sure if I understand your comment about "don't go aftermarket accept used if not new Volvo "?

June
Year and Model: 2004 S80 T6
United States of America
June

Post by June » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:29 am

shiloh51933 wrote: ↑
Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:42 am
Thank you for your response June. Yes Volvo does great protecting passengers of there vehicles, that's one of the main reasons I bought our first Volvo(1996 Volvo 850GLT). I'm not quite sure if I understand your comment about "don't go aftermarket accept used if not new Volvo "?
I am talking about the bumper push bar you say is available aftermarket. Structural pieces should be kept Genuine Volvo whether used or new parts to ensure crashworthiness. I imagine bumper outer skin could be aftermarket, but metal structures use Volvo new or used. After all a any difference in metal thickness or quality could adversely effect the crashworthiness next time, God forbid that you have a next time! June
My Volvo cars owned
1989 740 GLT ordered
1994 850 4door standard shift ordered
1996 960 ordered
1998 S90 ordered totalled after 3 weeks
1998 V70 GT dealer stock car
2002 S80 T6 ordered totalled
2004 S80 T6 dealer stock car and current car owned

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
SuperHerman

Post by SuperHerman » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:37 pm

I agree with June - you bought the car for safety don't put an aftermarket part that is crash/structure related.

Were it me I would buy everything used. Search the wreckers and Craigslist and buy a used hood of the same color. If the part is bolted on buy a used part (I think the radiator support may be).

Parts for the XC90 of that era are plentiful - many being parted and scrapped as transmissions and engines fail. Original hood will be a perfect color match, will not rust and will be silly cheap. Looks like your car is silver - pretty common color for the XC90. I see them listed - entire car - great condition - bad transmission for $1000 rather regularly in MN. Just saying - you can get that damage fixed for cheap with used parts, maintain safety and move on.

Personally it is not about the money so much, but having a new painted hood and fenders that are paint blended and never look right. It always bugs me.

I had a Land Rover a number years ago - sister-in-law took out the fender. Estimate was around a $1000. Searched and found a used one - like for like for $125 shipped. Showed up in two days, 1 hour later it was installed and job done. Perfect fit, exact match and no rentals or hassle.

Rattnalle
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T
Sweden
Rattnalle

Post by Rattnalle » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:06 pm

I think you're talking about two different things. I thought TS wanted to fit one of these, not replace the internal front collision bar with an aftermarket option.

These are common over here with a lot of different options and manufacturers having XC90 specific models. Not sure about how well they protect the car and how much is looks. It'd be all about how it's fitted I guess. Hitting a pedestrian with one of these won't be too nice but for occupant safety I haven't heard too much about it, personally i think they'reft to matter much.

shiloh51933
United States of America
shiloh51933

Post by shiloh51933 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:36 pm

SuperHerman wrote: ↑
Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:37 pm
I agree with June - you bought the car for safety don't put an aftermarket part that is crash/structure related.

Were it me I would buy everything used. Search the wreckers and Craigslist and buy a used hood of the same color. If the part is bolted on buy a used part (I think the radiator support may be).

Parts for the XC90 of that era are plentiful - many being parted and scrapped as transmissions and engines fail. Original hood will be a perfect color match, will not rust and will be silly cheap. Looks like your car is silver - pretty common color for the XC90. I see them listed - entire car - great condition - bad transmission for $1000 rather regularly in MN. Just saying - you can get that damage fixed for cheap with used parts, maintain safety and move on.

Personally it is not about the money so much, but having a new painted hood and fenders that are paint blended and never look right. It always bugs me.

I had a Land Rover a number years ago - sister-in-law took out the fender. Estimate was around a $1000. Searched and found a used one - like for like for $125 shipped. Showed up in two days, 1 hour later it was installed and job done. Perfect fit, exact match and no rentals or hassle.
Yes I could do that...ive matched plenty of used parts to cars b4, like doors, hoods, fenders, trunk doors and they never match perfectly but they worked. The fading over 10 years can be quite different depending on how well it was kept, whether it was garaged...ect.. Anyway I'm looking for a custom fit push bar/brush bar to help protect us and the car.

shiloh51933
United States of America
shiloh51933

Post by shiloh51933 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:51 am

Rattnalle wrote: ↑
Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:06 pm
I think you're talking about two different things. I thought TS wanted to fit one of these, not replace the internal front collision bar with an aftermarket option.

These are common over here with a lot of different options and manufacturers having XC90 specific models. Not sure about how well they protect the car and how much is looks. It'd be all about how it's fitted I guess. Hitting a pedestrian with one of these won't be too nice but for occupant safety I haven't heard too much about it, personally i think they'reft to matter much.
The "Bull Bar" in this pic you quoted looks good, I'm not sure if I need the flood lighting...actually I could see those flood lights actually causing if I hit another deer, those flood lights could possibly get pushed into grille/condenser. But that bar would of saved me $3k. The deer hit directly where the bull bar is located

Rattnalle
Year and Model: 2004 V70 2.5T
Sweden
Rattnalle

Post by Rattnalle » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:56 am

Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:51 am
Rattnalle wrote: ↑
Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:06 pm

The "Bull Bar" in this pic you quoted looks good, I'm not sure if I need the flood lighting...actually I could see those flood lights actually causing if I hit another deer, those flood lights could possibly get pushed into grille/condenser. But that bar would of saved me $3k. The deer hit directly where the bull bar is located
They're rare without the lights here in the dark north. Though most people me included just add more light without the bar.

I'm guessing if you can figure out how it's fastned from pictures it might be cheaper to get one adapted locally rather than shipped from Europe. They're often called light bars here if you want to shop around and see what you can find. Vool as it says on the number plate in the picture is the brand of that one.

shiloh51933
United States of America
shiloh51933

Post by shiloh51933 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:54 am

Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:29 am
Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:42 am
I am talking about the bumper push bar you say is available aftermarket. Structural pieces should be kept Genuine Volvo whether used or new parts to ensure crashworthiness. I imagine bumper outer skin could be aftermarket, but metal structures use Volvo new or used. After all a any difference in metal thickness or quality could adversely effect the crashworthiness next time, God forbid that you have a next time! June
Thank you for your comments again. I believe my post must have been confusing, I believe there called "push bars" or "bull bars". Ratnalle posted what I was looking for. I would never go aftermarket on factory bumpers under the bumper cover. As a matter of fact they don't offer that aftermarket. I work for Lexus as a service tech and the RX350 is offered with step bars, bull bars and rear bull bars. I was looking for something similar that was made to fit the XC90. Like what Ratnella had posted is you scroll down on the thread. I guess that was why I was confused about your first response. Anyway thank you for your participation and patience.