IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

need to replace driver door wire harness on 2007 XC90

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
bethanyXC90
Year and Model: 2007 XC90
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
bethanyXC90

need to replace driver door wire harness on 2007 XC90

Post by bethanyXC90 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:47 am

Hello,
I have searched this forum for any information on how to replace the driver door wiring harness on my 2007 XC90. Previously I posted about fixing it and got some help figuring out how to solder the broken/disconnected wires back into the harness, but unfortunately the wires keep breaking due to the wires flexing when I open and close the driver door.

Here is my original post:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=86106

Here is another post from a gentleman who had precisely the same issue:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=73814

Does anyone have any experience replacing the entire wire harness instead of soldering it piece by piece as wires break? One repair shop wants $540 to do the work but I'm hesitant to take it there if I can do it myself cheaper. The main issue is that the wires are broken on the "engine" side of the harness rather than the "door" side so it's not just a matter of taking the door panel off and replacing the wiring in the door. Has anyone done this harness replacement? Any advice is appreciated! Thank you!

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
SuperHerman

Re: need to replace driver door wire harness on 2007 XC90

Post by SuperHerman » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:08 pm

You need to pull up the wiring diagrams for your car. Do a search and you will find discussions and locations.

From there you need to look at the harness section for your vehicle and find out how the harness is assembled and fitted. Specifically if the harness has a junction with a connector or if it part of a much larger section of the wire loom. If it has a "sub" piece then that is the part you want to acquire. Just buy the "sub" piece insert it at the harness connection points - if it is branch of a larger harness it will be more challenging. Having trouble shooted a 2002 XC70 - I would wager it is a part of a larger harness that contains connection points that are sorta crimped and/or taped for each sub branch.

So backing up (and you can ignore the above for the most part) - follow the harness section from where it enters the door and trace the wire loom back until you find either taped joints (or crimped joint)(or plug in joint) or where it enters into a much larger part of the wire harness. Keep a count of the wires you are following - make sure they don't change colors (possible at a taped/crimped joint). This will give you an idea of how the harness is assembled and routed through the car. During this process you will figure out what you need to purchase - specifically if a harness with harness plugs is available or if you will have to buy a piece (or the entire harness if cheaper) and then join the piece to the original. At some point you will find an area where you have space to splice (or you will find the factory spice (tape and/or crimped joints)). This is the piece you will work with what ever you buy (unless it has a harness plug).

As writing this my past experience is coming clearer. The harness most likely has crimped or taped junction joints.

Were it me I would start with following the wires from the door as described above. Then check Craigslist for any XC90s being scrapped focusing on the year. Next step is to pull the wire diagram for your year XC90 and see if you can pull any part numbers. Cross check the part numbers for year interchange. Maybe it runs the same harness as a 2003, 2004, 2005 ... Check the wire diagrams for wire colors for the various years. You just need to make sure you get the right piece.

If you want to ditch the wire diagram and cross referencing - you can take a photo of the connector where the wires are broken, write down all the colors in the harness and their location in the connector or take good pictures. Then go find a donor vehicle on Craigslist or at a wrecker and see what matches up and then cut out what you need. As you traced the wire (if you followed my suggestion you will know where and what to cut.) Cut at least a foot extra for good measure. Then solder/crimp/tape the repair piece in - keeping in mind that it may get too fat and/or unwieldy to refit. To avoid this stagger your joints (another reason for the extra foot).

I recall pulling all sorts of pieces tracing the loom, but it is not too bad and it is pretty easy to figure out the madness. I was working off a wiring diagram which helped.

You could send this guy a pm as he seriously tore into his XC90. He might be able to help or have a line on the harness piece you need. Never know. viewtopic.php?f=10&t=86791

Sorry for the convoluted post, but I thought it best to keep what I wrote as there are a few ways to approach your problem.

bethanyXC90
Year and Model: 2007 XC90
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
bethanyXC90

Re: need to replace driver door wire harness on 2007 XC90

Post by bethanyXC90 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:16 pm

Wow! Thank you for all of this information. I actually understand it. I will follow up and let you know how it all goes!