IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

2005 XC90 2.9 ltr awd tr6 ERROR CODES & REPAIRS

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
hebhere
Year and Model: 2005 xc90 tr6
United States of America
hebhere

2005 XC90 2.9 ltr awd tr6 ERROR CODES & REPAIRS

Post by hebhere » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:33 am

I am not sure if it is proper to say great things about a vendor I just utilized but here it goes..If there is a problem or violation of the forum I then will never repeat this error again. However, after a year of frustrations, trial and error and continued expenses to my wallet, this vendor just rescued me and let me sleep again.

1) After getting error messages and Error codes on Vida, I learned on YouTube that the Brake Control Module is defective from the start. Volvo decided in (I believe) in 2002 to start "pressing" the pins into the brake control module circuit boards to apparently save some money. However, this has caused many problems for us Volvo owners. I searched for some time to learn where to look for solutions.
2) I have had error codes come up and "brake failure, stop safely now, etc" messages come up on my dash for some time. I replaced some parts as codes have stated where bad and did remove and send out my module to a "reportedly" a great module repair vendor, who "Promised they would have it in and out in a couple of weeks; (I got it back over a month later). The Module looked very amateurish and I had big concerns when I first looked at it. I installed the module; "Same error codes"! I called them and was told to send it back and they would check it but it was perfect and this is the way it is. "No Refunds"! only a credit..

3) I assumed that possibly, since the error code said module or brake booster needed replacement, I actually needed a brake booster. I went to the pick and pull salvage yard an pulled a brake booster then installed it. "Same Codes". I did check the voltage and amps in and out of the booster as per the code showed. Frustrated I searched You Tube and the Web again.

4) I located the Volvo brake Module repair Master shop in Idaho and called them. I sent them my brake module. Got it back promptly, in a very professional boxed package and wrapped professionally and cleaned. It even had a new top on it to replace the one they cut off; with a note from the tech who worked on it stating exactly what was done and what problems were found in it, (including loose pins). and it was a couple of hundred dollars less than the other place. Most of all......I installed it and NO CODES! I ran Vida, cleared all codes after installation. I drove vehicle for a day then ran Vida again, NO CODES. NO ERROR MESSAGES EITHER....Still driving, no codes. I think I will keep checking for some time due to my own paranoia.

It just goes to show me that just because I sent an item out to be repaired does not mean that it was actually properly repaired. I spent so much time and so much money finding solutions that I did not have to spend just because I chose the wrong vendor.

The brake modules can be repaired and if done correctly one can celebrate.

I hope that others with Brake Module problems really search before you start replacing parts.

Loose Pins in these, I think, 2002-2008 brake control modules are quite common I believe now.