IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Leaking sunroof and hatch window

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
Aznav
Year and Model: 2004 XC90
United States of America
Aznav

Re: Leaking sunroof and hatch window

Post by Aznav » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:44 pm

So, fellow "peeps", if I'm allowed to say that. It appears the sunroof is "healed"! Now on to the rear hatch. Funny, almost a month ago the back deck was soaked, about a foot+ from the hatch and maybe 6"+ on the right if you are looking toward the hatch in back. Wednesday after a torrent of rain, it was dry. Go figure! Now, I did open the hatch and there was much water running down both sides of the hatch "well", top to bottom. It appears that it is coming from slot where the natch opens on top. I don't know if that's normal and been there the whole time but it just does not look right. Then again, how the bleep did the towel get wet?(fortunately, my gym towel was laying across my gym bag and caught the water) I've done a lot of online reading about "rails", etc. I do have euro rails but it just does not make sense. Oh, lastly, when the water was on the towel, I felt all around the headliner. Dry!!! I'm thinking of just waiting for another torrent of rain or even a carwash to see if it will leak again and then immediately follow the trail, if possible. Not sure it's worth opening the headliner, euro rails etc at this point but I am open to suggestions.

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
SuperHerman

Post by SuperHerman » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:12 am

Although you solved your problem I will answer your question of whether I bought new tubing.

First though, some of these cars have an issue with the tubing being too short. I am not sure if they shrink or they come that way from the factory, but they need an extra 1/2" to 1" to get them to sit properly on the sunroof and make the run to the drain plug. Otherwise they pull off over time.

The solution, rather than try to source and replace what is there, is to buy a piece to splice over the tubing to make it longer. That is why I mentioned a piece with the same inside diameter as the outside diameter of what is in the car. So the new piece, about 4-6 inches long slides OVER the old piece, cut in two, and gives you the extra 1/2" to 1" you need to get the tube to sit right. Just slide the two together and leave 1/2" to 1" gap between the old tubing. I used clear tubing so I could see the gap, which was purchased at a hardware store. I put some sealant on the ends of the new tubing to keep it together and to stop any leaking for good measure. My fit was tight enough where I know it wasn't going to be an issue, but why not. It has to be a tight fit or it will leak, warming the new tubing and using some soapy water will help sliding it on. It will not pull apart easily if you have the right fitment.

It is possible your car did not suffer this "short" hose issue and this is not needed. I think I read somewhere that Volvo fixed the problem. If yours is working leave it alone. But for others who see this later check and are cleaning their drains and confronted with the hose being too short they will understand the issue and the cure.

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
United States of America
SuperHerman

Post by SuperHerman » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:18 am

As for the rear hatch water - here is what I would do. Get a small turkey baster and fill it with water. With the hatch closed squirt the water where you think it is leaking from. Then open it up and squirt in the same place, slowly, and watch how it drains. Dry it up and squirt the water on the top sides and do the same. Then the middle and do the same. Dry each time so you have a reference.

Check your brake lights, they are part of the drain system and need to be clear of debris. There may also be a seal in there that is aged or not seated well.

My guess is you have a compromised seal or debris build up causing a water dam. Other likely scenario is your lower hatch or main hatch was not closed well.

Aznav
United States of America
Aznav

Post by Aznav » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:51 am

WHOA!!! THANKS! Good points. Got that word pic on tube splicing. Works on ice makers too! Also, when the wife is not home, I'll get that turkey baster and walk through it. She got all bent out of shape when she found out I used one of her measuring spoons to fill my sprayer with Round Up concentrate. The compromised seal, for me, makes the most sense as the leaking dripping away from windows now makes sense.
Last edited by Aznav on Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aznav
United States of America
Aznav

Post by Aznav » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:52 am

Oh, and THANKS!

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:06 pm

May also want to test the sunroof drains by pouring some water into the holes on the corners of the sunroof tray

www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_eXgdwMzQA
www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlaiU2ysB5E

jonnies
Year and Model: 2006–2013 S40/V50
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
jonnies

Post by jonnies » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:26 pm

I also have the same problem. Thanks, problem solved.
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death