IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

2003 T6 4T65E transmission problem Topic is solved

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
wanderdüne
Year and Model: 2004, 2006 XC90 2.5T
United States of America
wanderdüne

2003 T6 4T65E transmission problem

Post by wanderdüne » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:36 pm

I cross posted this on the other forum:

At 187K mi. was rebuilt at 139K mi by previous owner at local shop. It has been a really good up to this point and today, shifted great, no leaks etc. At a stop light, transmission wouldn't engage while in Drive until the revs came up to about 1500RPM. Then it kind of crawled. Pulled over, shifted over to manual mode; not much joy in First gear, Second and up worked and got home, was about 2 miles. Reverse works fine.

No messages on the dash, scanned and no codes in VIDA. Fluid level is full and still pink from over a year ago when I changed it and the filter.

So I have no clue on this, any ideas?

Thanks

wanderdüne
United States of America
wanderdüne

Re: 2003 T6 4T65E transmission problem

Post by wanderdüne » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:31 am

Update:

Looks like the replies I had were lost during the hosting troubles. On the other forum, I received visual evidence that the transmission can be rebuilt in the vehicle here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... S1sM1ZOOE0 so that might work out. I emailed Dave at Triple Edge, probably will hear back today. Wanted to update what I have so far.

Ok, so the symptoms are:
P works normally
N works normally
D doesn't engage at all, the RPM's go up from what they are in N
Manually:
1 doesn't work/slips but engages
2 works, possible slip
3 works, possible slip

Still no codes on VIDA, but I was looking at the Diagnostics>Parameters>TCM today and the readout for the "Current gear according to gear ratio read:
1 in P
R in R
1 in N
1 in D

and 1(1),2(2),3 (3) in manual shifting.

Does it mean anything that it reads 1 in P,N and D?

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
SuperHerman

Post by SuperHerman » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:17 pm

My prior post was lost. Background - I rebuilt my 4T65E out of car and screwed up by failing to tighten one critical bolt. Result was internal fluid leak - lack of pressure which burned most of my clutches. I decided to try the in car rebuild b/c the critical seals and TC were already replaced. I followed VIDA instructions for Valve Body cover removal - after that it is just like the Impala videos on-line (for the most part). The new replacement clutches I needed were under $50.00.

It is not very difficult. Unfortunately I messed this rebuild up and after about 14k miles the tranny failed again. I had a shop rebuild it as I had enough. They told me the most likely cause of the failure was the driven sprocket seals were not installed correctly. I did not check them after the first rebuild, as it was only 50 miles tops. I assumed they were still good. My fault totally. If I had caught that problem I would not have had the last failure.

There are several threads on the S80 forum - with cross talk about the XC90. If you have any fears on the driven sprocket seals, bring it to a tranny shop and have them assemble that portion.

On my last failure, the clutches burned up and filled the filter with debris and it would not move except when it just started. My fluid was clear red also. Because above mentioned seals were not sealing - pressure could not build correctly and the tranny burned up.

I don't know what "it reads 1 in P,N and D" means. Maybe you have a harness or similar external issue. There are some possible problems that may not be in your transmission which can be accessed from the oil pan and/or valve body. Hopefully Dave will give you some insight. If not, try calling transmission shops that work on the 4t65E and describe your problems - being a Volvo should not matter for anything mechanical.
These users thanked the author SuperHerman for the post:
wanderdüne

MoVolvos
Year and Model: 03S80T6~08C30T5
United States of America
MoVolvos

Post by MoVolvos » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:41 pm

wanderdüne wrote: ↑
Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:36 pm

No messages on the dash, scanned and no codes in VIDA. Fluid level is full and still pink from over a year ago when I changed it and the filter.

So I have no clue on this, any ideas?

Thanks
Just do the simple stuff first before paying big dollars for diagnostics and chasing codes.

Complete pan drop filter change
Transgo Shift Kit
Flush w/Case of Synthetic

Took my soon be son's 2003 S80 T6 and put it through a couple of quick pulls on the freeway and the shifts are firm and fast. Almost like a manual in high revs accelerating but smooth. Feels like a big NA motor rather than turbos, no lag.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=88630&p=504849#p504849

Blessings,

BKM

1998 S70 T5 - Donated
2003 S80 T6
2003 GS300
2003 Odyssey
2008 C30 T5
2019 Atlas SE 4 Motion

wanderdüne
United States of America
wanderdüne

Re: 2003 T6 4T65E transmission problem  Topic is solved

Post by wanderdüne » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:35 am

After several returned emails with Dave at Triple Edge Performance, I was able to find that the transmission has a broken forward band. It needs a complete pulled from the car rebuild. I will see what kind of outlay that would be for me. Dave was very good at responding and I should have caught the broken band more quickly, but it was just kind of hung up in the slot and looked ok, but when I put a tool on it, the broken tab fell down. Triple edge has a complete kit here: https://shop.tripleedgeperformance.com/ ... CK03HP.htm which seems reasonable, plus a Sonnax forward servo apply pin that they also sell.

Otherwise, I did find this PDF that has some good info on the 4T65EV-GT transmission and I understand the issue better because of this as well. It's a good resource paired to the tech info on the triple edge website:
https://shop.ukrtrans.biz/wp-content/up ... NDBOOK.pdf
Anyway, that's that.
Thanks