IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Volvo XC90 vs BMW X5

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
Liason
Year and Model: 2012
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Algeria
Liason

Volvo XC90 vs BMW X5

Post by Liason » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:07 pm

Hi all, not sure if this is the correct place to post the question, please let me know if there is a better for this.

I am looking to get a high end SUV and am considering either an XC90 or an X5. My main question would be a long-term reliability and resistance to corrosion, because I plan on keeping the car for a while and not drive too much a year (~10,000 km). Location is Ontario if that helps.

Thanks!
internet cafe sweepstakes near me
Last edited by Liason on Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

thebull
Year and Model: XC90 R-Design 2009
Been thanked: 0
Canada
thebull

Re: Volvo XC90 vs BMW X5

Post by thebull » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:04 pm

That is kinda hard question to answer. I have a neighbor that drives X5 and they seems to be happy with it. Keep in mind it is all brand new.
First thing that came from my mind is that BMW has diesel engines and they are more economical. Body structure and safety I will go with Volvo without thinking for BMW even for a second. My 2009 XC90 is from Edmonton and I am second owner. Driving the car for 5 years so far and i spend 700 CAD on repairs. Everything else is maintenance like oil change and one transmission flush with oil changes on differentials. Rust wise is OK. Yes there is rust on the rear suspension and I have to treated before winter but the car is solid and I am happy. This brand new X5 I was talking about went twice for recalls and spend 10 days in the dealership. Courtesy car they gave to my neighbor was brand new Toyota Camry and he hated it. Worst car ever to drive he said. Anyway. Bottom line is Volvo is more simple but they are not immune to failures. My advise is to research the customer service of the dealerships. See who has better. You could drive that Volvo and have only one failure and than dealership being assholes to make your life miserable. I have two XC90 2006 and 2009. When i bought 2006 one i spend about a month to fix the car because of the ultra-smart mechanics in BC. Three years later only oil changes and no problems.
If you buy second hand get VIDA as well and start learning how to do simple things on the car. For second hand car only Volvo. Yes they break, yes, they can be really bad but will not get you broke like the BMW. For second hand you have to take your time and search. In Ontario you have more choice and to find something nice is more probable. I cannot give you straight comparison on BMW and the Volvo so keep asking. Volvo XC90 has three models lines 2003 - 2006 than 2007 - 2014 and 2015 and so on. For second hand I will recommend after 2009 - 2014 and after 2018. XC90 2009 - 2014 have more solid body and they are reliable if being taken care for. Keep in mind for second hand car in Canada. Most of the Volvo owner will buy extended warranty. That is why you are going to see most of them being 5-6 years old as second hand and between 120 - 140 000 km. You can research their history by calling the dealer like me. They are more expensive than BMW X5 second hand for what i have seen. Volvo is very conservative company. You are not going to see all the gadgets that BMW will have.

Flying on 2009 XC90 R-design 3.2L AWD and 2006 XC90 2.5T AWD. Volvo owner forever.

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
United States of America
SuperHerman

Re: Volvo XC90 vs BMW X5

Post by SuperHerman » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:14 pm

Are you talking a new XC90 and a new X5?

I wouldn't touch a new BMW period. Nothing but problems. Used yes - engines that I would own are N52 and M54 maybe the M62 (these have issues but are manageable for the DIYer). These engines are on older BMWs - the new turbos and non turbos have so many issues it is sad.

I own three BMWs right now - either the N52 engine or the older M54. My old Range Rover had the M62. I have friends that own the new stuff and mechanics friends that work on them all day long. Even under warranty they are always broken. My neighbor works for the BMW dealer and they are pushing almost brand new units into the service bay.

My wife owns a 2016 XC90, so far at 50k miles it has been pretty good - just a bunch of software up dates, some new tires and a mystery repair. I don't know how well the engine will do long term - it is generation one of new technology. The new XC90 is a superior car to the prior generation drive wise - how it will hold up I do not know. All the new Volvo engines are vastly different from the old stuff.

Fit, finish, and interior are better than the X5, although I don't care for the touch pad system all cars are now using.