IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Radiator fan won't stop

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
Aznav
Year and Model: 2004 XC90
United States of America
Aznav

Radiator fan won't stop

Post by Aznav » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:02 am

My radiator fan runs after the engine stops. Yes, I know it runs "purposely" at times when the car parks. HOWEVER, my fan will stop when the engine is off and then, maybe ten minutes later will come on by itself, only to run the battery dead. One person said a bad switch, and another said a bad module. Obviously, there is a giant difference in price. I am open to any suggestions. Thanks!

ggleavitt
Year and Model: XC90 05-2.5T, 08-V8S
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
ggleavitt

Re: Radiator fan won't stop

Post by ggleavitt » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:10 am

Should be a single wire connected to your fan, might be purple in color. That's the PWM from the ECU.

Start vehicle, turn on AC or anything that causes the cooling fan to run, then pull that single conductor and check if the fan stops. If it does, then you have validated control from the ECU to the fan. When vehicle is off but the fan in running, try that same test again. If nothing changes when you pull the single conductor, you have a bad fan assembly (controller). The controller is integrated into the fan assembly itself (there is no "switch" per se).

I would lean in the direction of a failed fan controller, the check above should help validate. There's DC voltage from the vehicle all the time on the assembly, and fan should only work when ECU directs. Did an S80 a couple years ago that had constant fan on after vehicle was turned off. Was a indeed a failed controller, the fan assembly was replaced with TYC brand.

Good luck with your repair.

2005 2.5T AWD-196k
2008 V8 AWD Sport-126k