IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Active Bending Lights Replacement [2014 XC90]

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
1997volvo850
Year and Model: 1997 Volvo 850
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
1997volvo850

Active Bending Lights Replacement [2014 XC90]

Post by 1997volvo850 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:59 pm

The driver's side headlight on our 2014 XC90 failed recently.

I understand these are referred to as 'Active Bending Lights'.

According to the manual you need to go to a dealer to have these replaced due to the high voltages involved.

The owner's manual doesn't even provide the part number for the active headlight, only for vehicles with standard halogen bulbs.

If this is true this will be the first vehicle I own where I'm not qualified to change a headlight bulb (or unit).

I've searched on Google and on this site and didn't find any instructions on how to deal with the active bending headlights so I'm wondering if this is truly serviced by-dealer only.

I can only imagine what this might cost to have the dealer install the bulb.

Any help is appreciated,
Thanks

jimmy57
Year and Model: 2004 V70R GT, et al
jimmy57

Re: Active Bending Lights Replacement [2014 XC90]

Post by jimmy57 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:58 pm

You change the bulb with the ignition off. The bulbs are different but not difficult. Halogen bulb access is no walk in the park on so many cars. The headlights on that XC90 are way over on the easy side of the scale due to the removal of the whole lamp being very easy. You remove the lamp and take it in the house or any warm comfortable place.
Philips has a youtube on it:

1997volvo850
United States of America
1997volvo850

Post by 1997volvo850 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:04 pm

Thanks.

So I ended up replacing my headlight with a Philips Ultimate White D1S bulb. It wasn't bad but I wasn't absolutely certain about when the bulb was installed properly. I'm pretty sure I installed it ok but it seemed like it there is a chance for misalignment.

I'm not very impressed with the amount of light my headlights produce. My Volvo 850 headlights 'seem' to light the road so much better.

Now I see the headlight lens is 'foggy'. Do I need to disassemble the headlight and clean the lens? I watched a video for other Volvo models and cleaning doesn't seem too bad. I'm just wondering if there are any do's/don't with regard to cleaning on the XC90. Is it ok to use lens wipes?

After a month my other headlight went out. With a single bulb for high/low beam I lose both my low and high beam when the Xenon bulb burns out. Who created such a terrible design? In both cases, when my bulb went, I lost both low and high beams.

Unused halogen high beam:

The other bulb slot, for halogen high beam, is basically non-functional according to manual, but there's a bulb in there. Is there any way to activate this other bulb? Seems like it would be a good backup headlight given the terrible design of the Xenon bulbs. To be honest, I'd prefer one bulb for low and a second bulb for high beam. This would be safer in the event of a single bulb failure.

Thanks again.

Masscomguru
Year and Model: 2008 XC90
Masscomguru

Post by Masscomguru » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:16 pm

You could just put an LED bulb in there and jump power from the marker light below.

1997volvo850
United States of America
1997volvo850

Post by 1997volvo850 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:26 pm

So I manage to replace my left Xenon headlight bulb and a few weeks later the right bulb goes out. Maybe they have built-in self-destruct timers.

After installing new Philips White Vision bulbs the light is not impressive at all.

I have noticed that the projector lens inside the headlight is 'foggy'. I suspect this is reducing the light coming out of my headlights.

A youtube video for a different year XC90 indicates to open cap for Xenon bulb, remove bulb, and then remove three screws to remove the entire projector assembly. On my 2014 I don't see three screws or an obvious way to remove the projector in order to clean the glass lens. That vehicle may not have had "Active Bending" headlights.

The internal mechanism looks a little complicated such that I don't want to screw it up.

I see clips that appear to hold the entire front plastic onto the back black housing. I suspect this is not the best way to clean the lens as damaging the seal might cause problems down the road.

Another video creates a cleaning rig with a flexible wire and enters through the high/running light entry to clean the projection lens.

Any recommendations for how to clean the lens? I've got the headlight in my kitchen so I'm hoping to a quick response.