IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
MVS-Amazon link helps MVS!

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

2007 XC90 V8 power steering pump replacement

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
Pretribrapper
Year and Model: 2011 XC90 V8

2007 XC90 V8 power steering pump replacement

Post by Pretribrapper »

Please help. I have had a power steering pump with an air leak for about two years and it is finally starting to get noisier. The leak was minimal and I would add fluid twice a year. Car used to only make noise when first started cold and occasionally while driving slow and turning there would be a chirp. Ps fluid is now leaking out by actual ps pulley and I have a replacement pump but no idea how to do. Can someone please help point me in the right direction to a video or step by step guide? I am not finding any great resources online.This is the V8 4.4l motor.
Roger_850T
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 854T 1995

Re: 2007 XC90 V8 power steering pump replacement

Post by Roger_850T »

Do you have VIDA? There's a good step-by-step guide in there. The key is that you have to take off the top half of the intake manifold to get the pump out. Basically, the steps are:

1. Remove the PS reservoir, drain the fluid.
2. Remove the top part of the intake manifold. (You will need 2 new gaskets for this.)
- disconnect wires from pressure/temp sensor (back left corner)
- disconnect 2 vacuum hoses from the check valve of the distribution damper
- remove 2 coolant hoses, 1 from throttle body and 1 from coolant distribution pipe
- might need to remove PCV valve and/or hoses
3. Remove the Auxiliaries Belt
4. Remove the power steering pump
Remove:
- Bolt to the pressure pipe
- Pressure Pipe
- hose from reservoir to pump
- 3 screws from the front of the PS pump
(I recall there being screws in the back of the pump too, although the instructions don't indicate so. There may also be a bracket that goes down to the lower intake manifold to remove.)

Installation is the reverse. Get a new o-ring for the pressure line. Pressure line is torqued to 32 Nm.

You may or may not need to remove the upper motor mount. The procedure says you need to, but the procedure is for the upper and lower intake manifold. You may not need to remove the motor mount for just the upper part.

I hope this helps - let me know if you need more detailed info.

Roger
'05 XC90 V8 140k
'95 854T 310k
'02 V70 159k
'03 S80 111k (crashed)
'93 945T 217k (gone to be parted out)
'87 245 300k+ sold, still going
'84 264 Diesel, RIP at 160k
'78 242 manual everything.
'73 P1800ES, fun until the rust set in...
wanderdüne
Year and Model: 2004, 2006 XC90 2.5T

Re: 2007 XC90 V8 power steering pump replacement

Post by wanderdüne »

You should download VIDA if you can. Here is an online workshop manual; it's a little fiddly, but may help some; click off the pop-up on the body of the page underneath or share, donate or whatever to make it go away
https://workshop-manuals.com/volvo/xc90 ... replacing/

Using the menu on the left, you can go to Engine>Intake manifold etc. to get started

Here's a link to download VIDA
https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthrea ... nload-Link

Or look on here or the other forum classifieds for a VIDA/DiCE for sale; you just need the VIDA for the info, though.