IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Yet another Yaw sensor thread...

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
Loddzz
Year and Model: S80 T6, 2003
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Sweden
Loddzz

Yet another Yaw sensor thread...

Post by Loddzz » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:10 am

Okay guys, i need some help with my 2003 XC90 D5

I just got the car, like 2 weeks ago, and there was many codes when i plugged it in
the first time. So i´ve been fixing everything, thing by thing, but there´s one code that i can´t
get rid of.

ABS-0080

When i start the car i get a "Brake assistant, service..." and "Traction control, service..." and the orange triangle, and when i reach about 40Kmph i get the same messages again, plus that the ABS light comes on.
Everything else works, odometer, cruise control etc.

I´ve checked all the fuses, opened up the Yaw sensor, and it was a bit broken inside. so i got another one from the junkyard, cleaned it up on the inside and the connections, and tried to calibrate it(without Vida).
When that didn´t make any difference, i opened up the BCM but couldn´t find anything bad there, and the same with the traction control module...

Here´s the values that it gives(the "new" Yaw sensor gives the same values as the old one)

But i have no idea what the values should be...
Does anyone have the knowledge to help me get rid of this code?

RickHaleParker
Year and Model: See Signature below.
United States of America
RickHaleParker

Re: Yet another Yaw sensor thread...

Post by RickHaleParker » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:24 pm

BCM-0080 Lateral accelerometer. Incorrect offset value

Diagnostic trouble code (DTC) information

Condition
Note! The diagnostic trouble code (DTC) applies only to cars with dynamic stability and traction control (DSTC).
The yaw rate sensor, lateral accelerometer, accelerometer (only AWD) and angle of lean sensor (only RSC) are integrated in the active yaw control sensor for DSTC. The sensors transmit information to the brake control module (BCM) indicating the size of the yaw angle, the lateral acceleration of the car, the forward acceleration and the lateral angle of lean via its own internal Control area network (CAN). Each sensor has an offset value, correction value, for the individual sensor offset.
Diagnostic trouble code (DTC) BCM-0080, BCM-0081, BCM-0082 or BCM-0083 is stored, depending on the sensor, if the control module registers an incorrect offset value from any of the sensors.

BCM-0080: Lateral accelerometer
BCM-0081: Accelerometer
BCM-0082: Yaw rate sensor
BCM-0083: Angle of lean sensor.

The diagnostic trouble code (DTC) can be diagnosed while the ignition is switched on.

Substitute value
Traction control is blocked
Stability control is blocked
Active yaw control is blocked
RSC system is blocked (cars equipped with RSC only).

Hint: For information about brake system abbreviations, see Bromssystem, förkortningar .

Possible source
  • Active yaw control sensor incorrectly installed
    The active yaw control sensor is loose
    The bracket for the active yaw control sensor is bent
    Internal fault in the active yaw control sensor.
Note! This diagnostic trouble code (DTC) is not due to an internal hardware fault in the Brake control module (BCM) and must not be remedied by replacing the control module.

Fault symptoms
The anti-spin warning lamp is lit (up to and including 2002 model year)
General yellow warning lamp lit (from model year 2003)
Text window and warning symbol/Red symbol and text message
Anti-spin does not function
The stability control system does not function
The traction control system does not function.
--------
Platform: P80 1998 C70, B5234T3, 16T, AW50-42, Bosch Motronic 4.4, Special Edition package, Plant: Uddevalla Sweden.
Platform: X40 (Nedcar) 2003 S40, B4204T3, 14T twin scroll AW55-50/51SN, Siemens EMS 2000. Plant: Born Netherlands.
Platform P2 2005 XC90 T6 Executive, B6294T, 4T65 AWD, Bosch Motronic 7.0, Plant Torslanda Sweden.
Platform P2 2004 S60R, B2524T4, AW50/51 AWD, Bosch Motronic 7.0, BorgWarner K24 turbocharger, Plant Ghent Belgium.

Loddzz
Sweden
Loddzz

Post by Loddzz » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:20 am

Yeah, i know all that...
I have Vida as well, not the DiCE tho.

The Lateral accelerometer offset value is -0.22 m/s2, which is the same
value as the "old" sensor gave.

So the offset value doesn´t change, and i need to figure out why

Loddzz
Sweden
Loddzz

Post by Loddzz » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:23 am

Okay, so i tried to see if the sensor got enough power, and according to Vida it’s supposed to look like this on the YAW sensor connector:

1. (2-3V, CAN L)
2. (2-3V, CAN H)
3. (+12V)
4. Not used
5. (- ground
6. Not used

And this is what I’ve got on mine:

1. (1,8V, CAN L)
2. (3,2V, CAN H)
3. (+12V)
4. Not used
5. (- ground)
6. Not used

I’m thinking that maybe 1,8V is too low? Does anyone know what the values should be?

I also measured it on the BCM and i get the same readings there as I get on the YAW sensor...
And I measured the resistance on the CAN H, and on the CAN L wire, and they match

jimmy57
Year and Model: 2004 V70R GT, et al
jimmy57

Post by jimmy57 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:55 am

The CAN values are OK. the CAN from BCM to the sensor unit is a little off from the CAN voltage on the full network CAN.
I think there was not a successful calibration if that offset remains unchanged from the value with previous unit. Is your steering wheel straight while traveling on a good flat road with no wind?

Loddzz
Sweden
Loddzz

Post by Loddzz » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:21 pm

Hmm okay...
CAN H was moving between 3-5V when i moved the sensor around, just as it should.
But CAN L stayed at 1.8V and didn´t change at all... Vida says CAN L should move between 1-2.5V

Steering wheel is straight, and i´ve checked the degrees of the steering wheel with my code reader, and it seems
to be okay.
I´ve tried to do the adaption of the YAW sensor, a couple of times, but it doesen´t seem to work. Tried on the old one
as well.

But since CAN L doesn´t change, makes me think that the problem is there. But i don´t really know how to proceed...

Loddzz
Sweden
Loddzz

Post by Loddzz » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:47 pm

I´ll probably end up getting a new sensor anyway, but can i change my aluminium one
to the newer one in plastic that came on the 2007 model?