IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

XC90 Mods for MPG.

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on Volvo XC90s. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
LuisM
Year and Model: 2007 XC90 3.2L AWD
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
LuisM

XC90 Mods for MPG.

Post by LuisM » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:04 am

Thanks for the add. Im finding lots of useful info here. Quick question for my fellow 90 3.2L guys. Is there any upgrades to help with fuel mileage? To me it would be an awesome little SUV if it only got better MPG. Thanks in advance,Luis.

jimmy57
Year and Model: 2004 V70R GT, et al
jimmy57

Re: XC90 Mods for MPG.

Post by jimmy57 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:58 pm

for most any "normal" passenger car the MPG has been optimized. Only some sport models may have gear ratio changes (lots of money and almost never pay off from MPG increase). The air cleaner and exhaust system upgrades help performance but MPG is at the other end of the throttle application from where these mods work. There are some minimal MPG increases with tuner loader programs and those usually require a colder thermostat. The program MPG gains are from more advanced ignition timing and require 100% of the time to use highest octane fuel. The extra cost of the fuel eats any savings from reduction in gallons burned over time. The only ready one is to drive like you peed in the tank and don't want the fuel pump to suck it up. E a s y throttle application and slow build to travel speed. Anticipate stops and release throttle early. No idling when stopped off roadway. I can get 20% or more increase doing these things but my patience runs out in a few days to maybe two weeks and then my speed creeps up and my foot gets heavy but my smile also returns.