Welcome to the world's #1 Volvo forum!

Volvo Fixes & Advice since 2001.

Login Register

Cell Phone Mount for 03-06 XC90 that doesn't suck

A mid-size luxury crossover SUV, the Volvo XC90 made its debut in 2002 at the Detroit Motor Show. Recognized for its safety, practicality, and comfort, the XC90 is a popular vehicle around the world. The XC90 proved to be very popular, and very good for Volvo's sales numbers, since its introduction in model year 2003 (North America).
songzunhuang
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 98 V70 T5, 2004 XC90

Cell Phone Mount for 03-06 XC90 that doesn't suck

Post by songzunhuang »

This is a permanent fix for a cell phone mount for our XC90's from 2003-2006. I've tried so many mounts and they all fail. Most recently, I was using a vent mount and after many months, my vent vanes were mangled. No only that, the mount blocked the airflow. Well, I was tired of that. This is my proposal for the ultimate permanent cell phone mount!

First, you'll need a phone mount that is adjustable with a base that can be cut to give you a flat surface to secure. Scroll ahead in this post and you can see what mine looked like. Once you have one of these, you are ready to go!

Step1: Take your center vent off
Once you understand how this is mounted, it's not too hard. Start on the left and pry with steady pressure, but then use a thin screwdriver or other tool to reach inside the vent and release the clips. I did this from the left, so you'll release the upper and lower leftmost clips first and then work your way right. When the vent comes out, be sure and unplug the hazard switch .
Removing the center vent.
Removing the center vent.

Step 2: Fix vanes (optional) if yours are messed up.
I had to repair my mangled vanes. This is done easily from behind. You'll have to remove the black plastic airflow guide to more easily reach the vanes. The metal clip is for the horizontal vanes. Mine popped off when I was removing the vent. Luckily I found it or else, the vanes would not have been repairable.
Fixing the vanes from behind.
Fixing the vanes from behind.
Step 2.png (734.61 KiB) Viewed 499 times

Step 3: Cut base of phone mount
I started with a razor saw, but that got too monotonous. I broke out my dremel and cut off the vent securing mechanism of my mount, leaving only the ball mount and the base. After sanding the base surface smooth, I used some automotive type double sided trim tape to secure the ball mount. Note the we are going to mount the ball mount onto the plastic assembly that houses the hazard switch. I removed the assembly to make it easier to work with.
Cutting the vent mount to fit.
Cutting the vent mount to fit.
Step 3.png (1.01 MiB) Viewed 499 times

Step 4: Attach the base, screw it for good measure.
After attaching the ball mount to the hazard switch assembly, I wanted something super secure, so I drilled and mounted 2 small screws to make the mount very sturdy with no slop whatsoever. Now that the ball mount was secured, I installed the rest of the cell phone mount.
Super securing the mount.
Super securing the mount.
Step 4.png (1.29 MiB) Viewed 499 times

Step 5: Final assembly in car
It's pretty easy from here. Just install the hazard switch assembly back in the vent, then put the vent back into the car. Don't forget to plug in the hazard switch wire. That's it! I think it looks great and it works even better. All controls for the vents and the hazard light button is reachable and fully functional. I think I have found the ultimate solution.
Complete in the car!
Complete in the car!
Now you can stop putzing around with mounts that fall off or destroy your vents. I wish I thought of this years ago. I hope this will save you tons of frustration from trial and error with various mounting options.
Song Huang
www.thehuangs.com
2004 XC90 T6 AWD Ruby red
1998 V70 T5 - Hurt your eyes red
2000 S2000 - the non Volvo
1984 BMW 633CSi - I'm diversifying

Roger_850T
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 854T 1995

Post by Roger_850T »

Can you tell us which cell phone mount you used? I have one I want to use, and it appears to have a ball of similar dimensions, but I like how your ball screwed in to the switch. I'd like to know make/model of the mount, I might do a hybrid installation. Thanks!

Roger
'05 XC90 V8 170k
'95 854T 329k
'02 V70 186k
'03 S80 111k (crashed)
'93 945T 217k (gone to be parted out)
'87 245 300k+ sold, still going
'84 264 Diesel, RIP at 160k
'78 242 manual everything.
'73 P1800ES, fun until the rust set in...

songzunhuang
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 98 V70 T5, 2004 XC90

Post by songzunhuang »

Roger, I looked up the mount I purchase about a year ago used for this conversion. However, it looks like they have modified the mounting point at the vent and it's not the same as what I pictured in the post anymore. Searching around Amazon, here's the closest thing to it.

https://www.amazon.com/XDesign-Premium- ... 28&sr=8-19

Bascially, you cut off the cam-based securing mechanism and leave yourself with the square base attached to the ball mount.
Cut here to mount to Dash.
Cut here to mount to Dash.
CutPicture.png (349.61 KiB) Viewed 466 times
Bonus that this mount is so inexpensive! It's showing $4.99. I think I paid $18 for mine.

Searching around Amazon, I found another with a base that's all ready to go with just a base and a ball-mount.
One thing is that it's a magnetic mount, which may not be your to your liking.
https://www.amazon.com/MAGDMB-MagicMoun ... ast_sto_dp
Song Huang
www.thehuangs.com
2004 XC90 T6 AWD Ruby red
1998 V70 T5 - Hurt your eyes red
2000 S2000 - the non Volvo
1984 BMW 633CSi - I'm diversifying