IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

S80 2001 Auto Dimming Rearview Mirror Repair How To (long)

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on the Volvo S80 model. Sometimes called an "executive car", the S80 was and continues to be Volvo's top-of-the-line passenger car.
gtopaul
Year and Model: 2001 v70 t5
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
gtopaul

Re: S80 2001 Auto Dimming Rearview Mirror Repair How To (lon

Post by gtopaul » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:14 am

Just did the swap on my 2001 V70 T5. Took about 2 hours (ate breakfast half way through) and works like a charm. Saved big bucks. Many thanks for posting instructions!

Paul

jamesjesse
Year and Model: V70, 1999
jamesjesse

Post by jamesjesse » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:47 am

New post:

Hey folks,

can anyone tell me if the circuit board(computer) is in the 1999 V70 models too?

Mine leaked out, so i need a replacement but a used one is impossible to find and a new one could cost pretty much.
On google pictures, the manual switched one has no cables to it:
http://www.skandix.de/en/spare-parts/bo ... r/1024595/

and the auto dimming one has:
http://www.skandix.de/en/spare-parts/bo ... r/1028203/

Does anybody please know if they are interchangeable??? If i change it, do i need to program anything...any help aprecciated, it sucks to drive without a inner mirror.

Thanks a lot

Jake of Sigourney
Year and Model:
Jake of Sigourney

Post by Jake of Sigourney » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:41 pm

Rather than trust a salvage mirror to not, itself, fail in a year or two, I simply replaced it with a piece of mirror glass. I used the same steps as above, but frankly could have simply loosened the mirror and circuit board with it still installed in the car. I took the failed mirror to a glass shop and they fashioned a replacement mirror plus a second piece of clear window glass, such that the combined thickness was the same as original mirror & charged me $10 all in).
I can live with a non dimmed mirror, as mostly travel in daytime. Donnelly makes an expensive but poor product with the seals failing, and after about ten years their dimming fluid gets replaced with air bubbles, probably because of cyclic heat and cold. Ideally, they would provide a free replacement mirror for their "lava lamp" mirrors.
As stated, if you are careful, you don't need to pull down everything for mirror replacement, just loosen the front mirror trim and the mirror with attached circuit board. You can bend your little jeweler flat screwdriver and starting at the top, disengage the mating tabs. Disconnect the plug in the back and then you can pull out the mirror and attached circuit board. Then, you can replace the mirror glass on a work table. Using a plastic putty knife or spatula, carefully separate the electronic board without flexing it (and thus fracturing the printed circuit connections). Replace the mirror with some tacky adhesive, taking care you don't see the glue once reassembled. When you snap the cover back on, place some drops of adhesive on the board scotch tape.
This mirror circuit board controls the car's security, so if the sunroof fails to work, etc. then, first try repeated cycling the locks with your clicker. If this fails, then make sure you plugged everything back into the mirror housing. IYou may need to pull it down again and make sure you did not fracture any wire or printed connection.

Dirtbag454
Year and Model: S-80 2000, C70 2004
Dirtbag454

Post by Dirtbag454 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:35 am

This reply really does not refer to the mirror replacement (even though that is in my future). I recently searched this forum for instructions on removing the glass sunroof panel, as the reinforcing bar had come unglued along the rear edge. The knowledgeable and helpful folks that populate this site had posted great instructions on how to do this task, and after completion, I attempted to close the sunroof, as rain was forecast for that evening. EGADS! No amount of cursing would cause that sunroof to move. I disconnected and reconnected the battery, I turned the ignition switch off and on, I thought happy thoughts. Nothing worked...and then I remembered reading this post and all the comments.
I grabbed the remote, closed the door and locked the car. I then unlocked the car, inserted the key, turned on the ignition, and closed the sunroof. Amazing!
I checked to see if any other problems in the car had been cured with that lock-unlock cycle, but no such luck. I'm still happy the sunroof was closed when the rain came.
Thank you Vegasjetskier for your reply to Mandrake.

'04 C70 Ragtop (103K)
'00 S80 T-6 (donated @ 140K)
'95 850 (traded @ 120k)
'83 240DL (crashed @ 303k)
And then there's the '70 240Z and the '58 Chevy Apache, not to mention the motorcycles...
2013 BMW K1600GTL

PeterL
Year and Model: S60 2001
PeterL

Post by PeterL » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:11 am

Registered here just to post a big THANKS for this topic.
Had a lava lamp mirror for a couple of months now and was shocked by the price my trusty Volvo dealer charged for replacing this...

Read this post and came to the conclusion that it would be worth it to give this a try. Ordered a second hand mirror for € 50,- and tried the short version of this procedure by just removing the connector and the mirror from the casing, leaving the casing installed in the car. This took a bit of wiggling around the clips on the edge of the mirror, but I managed to do it. As said before, you might want to check the replacement mirror for reference on how to remove the connector and opening the mirror in your car and all should work just fine.

Cut the foam on the original mirror, staying away from the circuit board to avoid damage and peeled off the remaining foam afterwards. On the replacement mirror I first marked the outlines of the circuit board so I could easily install the original board in the correct location. Next heated the circuit board on the replacement mirror with a blow dryer (not much heat is needed) to release the board from the foam (used a long knife to gently pry the board from the foam).
Placed the original circuit board on the new mirror and re-attached the wires. After re-installation of the mirror in my car all popped in place in no time and after reconnecting the wiring, all worked as a charm!!

So add me to the list of happy campers not having to look in a lava lamp mirror and saving about € 450,-!!

Thanks a lot guys. :D

jongroves
Year and Model: 2002 S60
jongroves

Post by jongroves » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:55 pm

Today's date is December 02, 2012 - I am glad this mirror-fix post is still here because the steps outlined worked perfectly for my '02-S60. -
Only difficulties I had were 1 - trying to get the old mirror unplugged - try as I might, it wouldn't let loose!, 2. trying to pry the frame of the mirror loose from the body- Finally got it; but I busted one of the little tabs and chinked the plastic in a couple places - Oh well - it all snapped back together okay, and the damage is only visible if one knows where to look.

Another note: I used a basic hair dryer to intermittently blow on the circuit board to soften the double-stick tape while carefully prying the board away from the tape with the plastic putty knife. Worked fine, and I was able to re-use the sticky tape.

In the end, my story mimics others on this post - my local dealership quoted me $mega-buck$ for a new auto-dim mirror; but I found a used one on e-bay for $40, followed the steps outlined, and.... viola! - Everything works fine! I just finished the project; took me about 2 hours - Time well spent. Thank you! - Jon

pvaughan
Year and Model: C30 2011, XC70 2014
pvaughan

Post by pvaughan » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:59 pm

I bought the replacement mirror from the salvage place. Before I start taking the new and old apart, is there any reason I can't just install the replacement mirror and then have the dealer reprogram it? I know there is labor but I can handle an hour or so.

Thanks,
-pvaughan

pvaughan
Year and Model: C30 2011, XC70 2014
pvaughan

Post by pvaughan » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:53 pm

Dealer tells me they can't reprogram a salvaged mirror. That once it is programmed to a vehicle it can't be reprogrammed.

I therefore swapped out the boards per the instructions above. Excellent instructions. Took me about an hour from start to finish. Works perfectly. Thanks to all who shared their knowledge.

One thing of note - I'm not sure of the model year of the salvaged mirror I received. However, it's board was mounted to a black plastic frame which was adhered to the back of the mirror with two face tape. This made it very easy to remove. There are six plastic clips which held the board in place. Three top and three bottom. Simply push the clips back and the board pops out. The original board clipped right in place on the frame.

Thanks again to all.

Bolbi
Year and Model: S80 2002
Bolbi

Post by Bolbi » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:29 am

Hey, I change my mirror but somehow my lights are not working, I tried unlocking and locking with my remote beeper but my beeper doesn't work, but it was working fine before I change the battery on the beeper an still wont work. Did the rearview mirror cause the beeper not to work? Please response thanks

Volvich
Year and Model: 1998 Volvo C70 Coupe
Volvich

Post by Volvich » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:13 pm

Wow, just yesterday I noticed an ugly leak, and today the first thing came up on MVS new posts was this one...!
trying to find a reasonably priced replacement part. Any ideas where to look at besides ebay? Any good salvage yards around Los Angeles?