IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

S80 1G 6Cyl Auto Transmission Fluid & Filter Change How-To

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on the Volvo S80 model. Sometimes called an "executive car", the S80 was and continues to be Volvo's top-of-the-line passenger car.
tictac3
Year and Model: 1979
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
tictac3

Re: S80 1G 6Cyl Auto Transmission Fluid & Filter Change How-To

Post by tictac3 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:52 pm

Excellent. Thanks for sharing.

vegasjetskier
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 2010 Toyota Prius
vegasjetskier

Post by vegasjetskier » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:53 am

jbrown122 wrote:Nice guide!

I was wondering, since I am considering buying an S80, when you drop the pan, and change the filter, can you use the ipd kit and flush the rest of the fluid out with the pan dropped?

Or would you have to take the pan off, keep the old fluid, and just change the filter, put the pan back on, then flush it out? Does the ipd pump way even get the fluid out of the pan? Or no.

Thanks!
You can't flush it with the pan dropped. Take the pan off, change the filter, put the pan back on, fill with fresh fluid, THEN use the IPD kit to flush the rest of the fluid out of the torque converter and innards of the transmission.

SOLD - 2001 Volvo S80 T6: Mobil 1 Oil & Synthetic ATF, Brake Performance drilled and slotted front rotors, Akebono Euro Ceramic pads and Yokohama Avid V4S tires, 91K miles.

Help this site: Amazon.com link, Tirerack.com link, Donate

vegasjetskier
MVS Moderator
vegasjetskier

Post by vegasjetskier » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:56 am

natia wrote:Hello,

Thanks for the info on how to change the tranmission fluid.

Is there an transmission additive that can be used to help maintain the transmission other than just changing the fluid every 30k.

I have a 02 S80 with 95k and need to change the transmission fluid now..

I am on a budget cannot avoid a new car enjoy the one I have just want to help extend the life.

Can I use the Walmart Supertech ATF and get the same results... Whatever brand I start with I want to use the same each time.

THanks
I haven't used an additive, so I can't advise, but I don't want to take a chance with my $4,000 transmission.

You can use Supertech ATF - it has to meet all the standards of any Dexron III fluid. If you have extra cash available go for the Mobil Synthetic ATF.

SOLD - 2001 Volvo S80 T6: Mobil 1 Oil & Synthetic ATF, Brake Performance drilled and slotted front rotors, Akebono Euro Ceramic pads and Yokohama Avid V4S tires, 91K miles.

McBain
Year and Model: XC90 2003
McBain

Post by McBain » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:11 pm

Vega,
Nice post, this is exactly what I am looking for since I am due for a transmission fluid and filter change. I was wondering if you could answer a few questions. I was wondering if this is the first time you used a GM trans filter instead of the Volvo or have you done this before? Also how is the trans holding up? I see there is a lot of frustration with the GM trans which is surprising to me. My past GM's were always good to me and I never had trans problems in any of them (79 Nova 139k, 90 Grand Prix Turbo 109k, 95 Impala SS 280K). My 79 and 95 were sold to other owners with practically everything original (including trans) the 90 was traded in for the 95 because it was an electrical nightmare (2 ETM's, 6 sets of power locks, 2 power antennas, 2 radios, various sensors but never a mechanical issue). In my 95 I changed the fluid every 25K until I hit 125,000 miles, that was the last time I changed the fluid and it was with the Mobil 1 tranny fluid. When I sold the car with over 280K I knew that the OD shift had moved over the years and I told that to the new owner (from 44 mphs to 48 mphs) but he didn't seem to care and I kept in contact with him for a year afterwards and he was still driving it without a problem. Anyway thanks again for the post, it is very informative and should help me with my T6 XC90.

vegasjetskier
MVS Moderator
vegasjetskier

Post by vegasjetskier » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:20 pm

Yes, first time for the "GM" filter, but it's not really a GM filter, it's an aftermarket that I bought at the auto parts store. I had changed the fluid before but put in the Volvo brand filter. They look identical to me.

The trans is holding up fine so far. I think that perhaps they don't do so well on average in Volvos because they don't recommend a fluid change and the T6 has quite a bit of horsepower and torque that may not be available in other cars.

stormydae
Year and Model: 2001 S80 T6
stormydae

Re: S80 1G 6Cyl Auto Transmission Fluid & Filter Change How-

Post by stormydae » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:46 pm

Just wondering if you could post a follow up on the aftermarket filter to let us know how it's working out for you.

vegasjetskier
MVS Moderator
vegasjetskier

Post by vegasjetskier » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:01 pm

stormydae wrote:Just wondering if you could post a follow up on the aftermarket filter to let us know how it's working out for you.
It was working fine when I traded the car in back in February.

pkt
Year and Model: MY 2000 S80 T6
pkt

Post by pkt » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:49 am

Hi!

Last weekend I did the same on my MY 2000 S80 T6 with Geartronic Gearbox 4EV65-GT. I didn't know that your's was available, so I decided to create my own. Actually, I have just signed up at MVS!

The main difference is that mine is written in Spanish...

I reckon that yours if more complete than mine. It was cool that you can find a suitable filter different than original one. On the other hand, in Spain the original filter is just 14 euros, so it is worth to buy it to Volvo, but the filter does not include the gasket, which is another 14 euros....

If you want to take a look at mine, feel free: www.volvo4life.es/foros/showthread.php? ... post871949

Good job by the way!

Cheers!

emk
Year and Model: 1999 S80 T6
emk

Post by emk » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:55 am

Do you have torque numbers for putting the bolts back on?

1999 Volvo S80 T6 - 210K kms

gildafruc
Year and Model: s80,2003
gildafruc

Post by gildafruc » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:44 pm

what's your opinion on walmart super tech dextron 3/mercon fluid? I would much prefer to use a straight spec oil but often times you see these multiple specs. I've noticed in the forums they say not to use mercon fluids.