IPD sale Volvo Parts Volvo Parts guaranteed for life Volvo Parts

2000 S80 DIY 4T65EV-GT rebuild (in car) Topic is solved

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on the Volvo S80 model. Sometimes called an "executive car", the S80 was and continues to be Volvo's top-of-the-line passenger car.
Konrad
Year and Model: 2004 XC90 T6
Poland

Re: 2000 S80 DIY 4T65EV-GT rebuild (in car)

Post by Konrad » Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:19 am

Hi
Can I do the same (do this rebuild without removing transmission from my car) in my XC90 T6?

dwmcqueen
United States of America

Post by dwmcqueen » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:28 am

Konrad, did you try it?

Ponchorete
Year and Model: XC90 2006
Chile

Post by Ponchorete » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:17 am

It's my first post, so first of all: Hello and thanks for all the knowledge

I'm doing this clutch change on my 2006 XC90 and obiously this post was a HUGE inspiration to do it. so thanks to OLY

I'm already changed the friction and steel plates of the 2nd and 3rd clutch and I'm hoping to start to reassembly it this weekend

just for reference we take off al the subframe just because in XC90 the gearbok must be far down to work on it than in a S80

I'll post some photos just for reference, and yes, those who looks like steel plates are in real friction plates all worn out, I'll pneding on this post if someone wants more information or pics.

Goodbye to all
Attachments
IMG_4514.JPG
IMG_4514.JPG (2.28 MiB) Viewed 337 times
IMG_4495.JPG
IMG_4495.JPG (2.09 MiB) Viewed 337 times
IMG_4494.JPG
IMG_4494.JPG (2 MiB) Viewed 337 times
IMG_4489.JPG
IMG_4489.JPG (2.8 MiB) Viewed 337 times

Ponchorete
Year and Model: XC90 2006
Chile

Post by Ponchorete » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:54 pm

Just want to say that today waas my first long ride (about 250km) on my machine and it work flawessly, we only change the clutch disk set, the teflon rings and the 1-2 3-4 solenoids. Best luck to everyone

Konrad
Poland

Post by Konrad » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:37 pm

I have done this this winter:) Yes, I rebuilt the transmission without removing it from the car. I have done everything from side and bottom. I didn't remove angle gear. I just lowered transmission and engine subframe.
I replaced all frictions (they were burnt), steel plates, 4th clutch hub and shaft assembly, side cover gasket, 2 solenoids, 3-4 accumulator piston springs (one was broken)... thrusts washers. All seals, o-rings etc. Everything what I could replace without removing transmission from the car. It wasn't easy but you can do it yourself if you have garage and have some idea about cars and how to maintain and fix them. I made my own tools for teflon gaskets. You don't need any special tools. If anyone wants to do this please order all parts when you will disassembly everything. Do not make the same mistake that I did. I had to order 2 more times, because I have discovered some broken pars (for example 3-4 accumulator piston springs). You can save time and money. And it is better to use engine support bar instead lift jack. I didn't do this but next time (I hope so never again) I will use some threaded rods to hold subframe.
You can find all pictures here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... S1sM1ZOOE0

I ordered all parts for my transmission from http://www.tripleedgeperformance.com/ I thing it is the best source and they have everything-parts and knowledge.
If anyone has any question please let me know. I will try to explain everything.
Last edited by Konrad on Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Konrad
Poland

Post by Konrad » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:40 pm

I have done this this winter:) Yes, I rebuilt the transmission without removing it from the car. I have done everything from side and bottom. I didn't remove angle gear. I just lowered transmission and engine subframe. Didn't remove bumper etc.
I replaced all frictions (they were burnt), steel plates, 4th clutch hub and shaft assembly, side cover gasket, 2 solenoids, 3-4 accumulator piston springs (one was broken)... thrusts washers. All seals, o-rings etc. Everything what I could replace without removing transmission from the car. It wasn't easy but you can do it yourself if you have garage and have some idea about cars and how to maintain and fix them. I made my own tools for teflon gaskets. You don't need any special tools. If anyone wants to do this please order all parts when you will disassembly everything. Do not make the same mistake that I did. I had to order 2 more times, because I have discovered some broken pars (for example 3-4 accumulator piston springs). You can save time and money. And it is better to use engine support bar instead lift jack. I didn't do this but next time (I hope so never again) I will use some threaded rods to hold subframe.
You can find all pictures here:https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
I ordered all parts for my transmission from http://www.tripleedgeperformance.com/ I thing it is the best source and they have everything-parts and knowledge.
If anyone has any question please let me know. I will try to explain everything.

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
United States of America

Post by SuperHerman » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:56 pm

I need to pull the transmission side cover on my XC90 T6. Pretty sure I screwed up on a seal during the rebuild and I am getting slippage. In essence I need to do an in car rebuild. I had a mechanic do the original pull and swap - but at this point I am on my own.

Questions - I have looked at the posts and pictures of the in car rebuild, but some things are unclear as to the XC90 or S80.
1) Do I need to do anything to the passenger side axle and/or suspension? It looks like all the work is on the driver side.
2) I see Poncho in Chile droped the entire sub frame, while Konrad in Canada left it attached. Any comments?
3) What do I need to do regarding the power steering rack? For the R&R it was removed but it looks like I can just unbolt it and move it as needed.
4) Can someone provide a list of items I need to take off. I don't need a how to - more a list so I can compare it to VIDA instructions and my prior wrenching.

I have plenty of jack stands, 2-3 hydraulic lifts and an engine support bar so equipment wise I am fine. As I rebuilt the transmission I understand that process also (save for some sealing ring).

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
United States of America

Post by SuperHerman » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:32 pm

Well I am going to answer my on post for now - after looking at VIDA I noticed that they have listed a procedure to remove the transmission valve cover. It involves supporting the engine from above and lowering the subframe - the driver side (left) is lowered further than the right to allow the transmission valve cover to clear.

A to Question #1) The passenger side axle needs to be removed.
A to Question #2) I am going to follow VIDA and leave the subframe partially attached (Passenger side dropped until 5 threads are holding it - and Driver side bolts fully removed to get the space needed).
A to Question #3) I am going to just follow VIDA and see how it goes. I will update later.

Right now I am removing the cv axles and related - then the subframe bolts and lowering. The prior items on the list are completed. VIDA's procedure seems to be very efficient.

Again update to follow.

Return to “Volvo S80 Forum”