2000 S80 Not Starting after Head Gasket Replaced

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on the Volvo S80 model. Sometimes called an "executive car", the S80 was and continues to be Volvo's top-of-the-line passenger car.
Florida Wheel
Year and Model: S80 2000

2000 S80 Not Starting after Head Gasket Replaced

Post by Florida Wheel »

Greetings. Thanks for all the help so far. I've been on the forum often. Purchased this vehicle with a blown head gasket because the lady drove it with radiator leak. I've never had it running. Replaced gasket per instruction on this site. Had head shop replace seals and cut valve seats, adjust valves. Reinstalled everything, new head bolts and gasket set. Rotated engine by hand numerous times with no obstructions. Compression checks good. Radiator fixed. First experience with DOHC.
Will not start. Timing marks line up on top end. Could not find the two indented teeth on timing belt gear on crankshaft so I lined up the two ridges on accessory belt gear which I think is what they're for. However, after I tried to start, fuel leaked from fuel line under "intake manifold" (where injectors are). It almost seems like pistons are forcing back to intake rather than out exhaust. Is that possible? It could be simpler than that. Could this be an electrical problem? What to check? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Florida Wheel
1999 Ford F-250 SD PSD
1977 Olds 442
2000 Volvo S80

draser
Year and Model: 2005 S60 2.5T

Post by draser »

I'd remove plug 1 and drop a wood dowel in hole. Then when dowel's up you're at TDC. Your sproket marks should be past cover's. Back up crank a touch until sprokets line up to covers. At this point crank should be spot on. If what you see is different your timing is off.
2005 Volvo S60 2.5T, Zimmerman/Akebono brakes
2012 Honda Accord, EBC slotted rotors

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90

Post by SuperHerman »

What engine do you have? If it is the 2.9 - when you take off the Harmonic Balancer the crank timing mark screams at you. I did the same job to a 2.9 on a 2004. Be careful removing the balancer as it is very brittle - use a puller. I broke mine. If I recall TDC is not exactly normal - you need to look this up and confirm. My recollection is #1 is not at TDC, but #4 is. PLEASE double check this before you try timing with #1 at TDC. Did you lock the crank via the starter hole?

precopster
Year and Model: Lots

Post by precopster »

Straight six has TOTALLY different timing setup to fives.

Piston 1 is around 3 inches down at timing marks. Make sure you locate the timing marks on the crank pulley. There is usually a straight ridge on the accessory pulley which lines up with the marks on the pulley.
Current cars:2002 XC70, 2006 Ssangyong Rodius (Stavic), 2006 XC90 2.5T, VW Transporter 2.5TDI

www.precisioncarmodules.com.

draser

Post by draser »

Well, firing order starts with 1 so you'd think piston 1 would be pretty close to top at timing marks. How's it set up?

draser

Post by draser »

Is there a locating hole in block/crank that matches pulley marks?

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90

Post by SuperHerman »

Read this link: https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums ... =1&t=50612

It should shed some light on your question and explains what the Volvo Timing tools. Backing up lets go through timing.

Locking cams will place the cams in their correct position, aligning Crank and Oil Pump mark will place crank in correct position. Placing Crank lock tool in will lock crank in correct position. Do all these things and you are at the basic start point for correct timing set. Then it is a matter of putting on the cam gears and setting the VVT.

Caveat: It is possible to damage the valves if the pistons hit the valves while setting timing. That is why one should set the Crank and have the head locked when replacing the head gasket (head removed). This scenario applies if head is off - a variant of these concerns apply if one is way lost on timing and the valves and crank are no where near where they should be.

To answer your question the only hole in the block that I know of would be for the Crank Lock Tool. On my old Audi A8 their lock tool actually sits in a dimple in the crank - only one dimple for the entire 360 degrees. From the explanation in the post I provided, Volvo does not do this as the post states it will kick out if turned the wrong way. I cannot confirm this as I have never tried or looked at the actual crank, but it would make sense if the Volvo Crank just has a ledge rather than a dimple. The Audi once locked will not turn at all.

But all is not lost. If you take off the Harmonic Balancer you will see the gear that attaches to the crank. If you remove this Crank Gear you will see it can go only one way b/c of two rows of teeth that only mesh one way - Crank Shaft has the male side, Crank Gear the female side. The oil pump has a mark that is to align with the Crank Gear. Line these up and the Crank is set - put the Crank Lock Tool in and the Crank will not spin as forces are applied. Do some searching and you will see pictures of this and it will make sense. The 2.4T has the same set up. BTW - the oil pump bolts up only one way so the mark is also fixed.

As Precopster states above at TDC #1 is about 3" down - this is consistent with what I recall when I went through my 2.9l engine. I just carefully followed the VIDA steps and double checked everything, repeatedly.

precopster

Post by precopster »

TDC is a term I didn't use. I said TIMING MARKS which are not in any way related to TDC, which is a measure of piston 1 at full compression at top of travel and 0 degrees on the crank timing scale.

When we used timing lights on older cars with chain or belt driven non interference engines we used to set everything up at TDC. Not so with Volvo whiteblocks.

Volvo had to find a position that allowed reasonable travel of both the crank and cams while performing belt change so it won't bend valves. It just happened to be at 3 inches down on cylinder 1 on the straight six.
Current cars:2002 XC70, 2006 Ssangyong Rodius (Stavic), 2006 XC90 2.5T, VW Transporter 2.5TDI

draser

Post by draser »

Not sure how TDC by itself came into focus, because nothing timing related really happens there. Ignition actually happens about 30 crank degrees before TDC, and that's where the crank pulley notch lines up to cover mark. And those 30 degrees will translate in some distance away from TDC. However, having crank pulley lined up when we remove the cam covers now we'll find the cam marks at 12 o'clock, unless we are in exhaust stroke. Now the distance away from TDC will vary between various engine makes based on number of degrees BTDC the ignition is set at. Having said that, is Volvo S80 six cyl. set up differently?

precopster

Post by precopster »

Yeah I think I connected my timing light to my inline 5 Volvo afew years ago and probed cylinder 1s timing from TDC and noticed it was quite retarded (BTDC) Of course without a scale on the crank there's no way of knowing exactly how retarded other than to read up on it however I remember seeing 12 degrees BTDC on a spec manual I have for the inline 5. Retarded ignition is usually used on non perfprmance engines and allows more complete burning of fuel.