Deciding Whether to Purchase a 2005 S80 T5 AWD -- Pls Advise

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on the Volvo S80 model. Sometimes called an "executive car", the S80 was and continues to be Volvo's top-of-the-line passenger car.
perks1
Year and Model: 850 1994

Deciding Whether to Purchase a 2005 S80 T5 AWD -- Pls Advise

Post by perks1 »

Hi,

I am hoping to get some advice on whether to purchase a 2005 S80 T5 AWD with 110,000 miles. It appears to be in excellent shape. I would be buying it from the second owner. Apparently, the original owner took meticulous care of the vehicle, did all service on time and kept it in the garage. The second owner bought it for his high school age son, 3 years ago at about 85,000 miles. He drove it locally for about 20,000 miles and they are now selling it as he has gone to college and bought him a newer car. They have all the service records from day one and have done all maintenance on time. I believe I can get the car for about $5000. I am going to see the car tomorrow and can review all the records. So, all in all it appears to be a good solid car. However, I am a bit concerned about maintenance costs and major repairs. While I will some money for repairs and maintenance, I am a bit concerned about it being a money pit. Would you please advise as to whether this is a good purchase and what I ought to be looking out for when I go to look the car over and more importantly, how much I can expect to spend on fixing things up in the next couple of years. Or whether I should purchase a Japanese car instead! To date, I do not know how to work on cars but am willing to learn. Thanks in advance to all for your help!

perks1

Post by perks1 »

In follow up, I went to look at the car. The owner is a dealer, but is the third owner and thus far I have not seen any records yet -- so I am becoming a bit skeptical. He did buy it for his son -- who told me that he really enjoyed flooring it when he got it. It was in good shape and drove quite nicely, although the leather seats are quite beat up. There was a light on the dash -- a triangle with a question mark and something flashed about needing the alarm system checked. Any idea what it might cost to repair and how complicated that might be? I think it is also about time for the timing belt to be changed. Also, could anyone shed light on what upkeep and maintenance typically runs for a year on these cars? As I have no idea but do have a somewhat limited pocketbook. And whether this seems to be a decent purchase? I greatly appreciate your advice! Thanks!

quietlymknnoise
Year and Model: s80 2006

Post by quietlymknnoise »

Get maintenance history

chrism
Year and Model: S80 / 2005

Post by chrism »

$5000 is too much for a 2005 S80 that has a warning light on, needs a timing belt, and a young driver that "really enjoyed flooring it".

We own a 2005 S80 2.5T that we really enjoy and has been a good car for us. But the reality is that their market value is dropping down, down, down. $5000 should get you a pretty darn nice one.

If rear seat leg room isn't a big factor, then you may be better served by going with a S60. There are many more of them for sale and junk yard parts are MUCH more plentiful. V70 would give you the rear leg room of a S80 with the simplicity of a S60.

perks1

Post by perks1 »

Thanks so much for the input everybody. They may be a bit flexible on the price, but after talking to a indie Volvo mechanic and hearing it costs on average about $2500 per year to maintain, I think that is a bit too much as I do not know how to do anything myself -- although willing to learn -- it still seems like it might be too much of a learning curve. I will look into the other options suggested.