IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Unknown Suspension Part

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on the Volvo S80 model. Sometimes called an "executive car", the S80 was and continues to be Volvo's top-of-the-line passenger car.
Billsfan
Year and Model: 2002 S80 2.9
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Billsfan

Unknown Suspension Part

Post by Billsfan » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:01 am

Hello from Kansas everyone, new to this site and forum. I just purchased a used 2002 S80 2.9 that I am trying to bring back to roadworthy status without spending a ton of cash. Most of it's issues (Window Regulator, "Service Transmission Soon" light, "Dashes" where the gear indicator letters under the speedo should be) I think I have gotten pretty well diagnosed so far. However there is one very obvious issue that has me completely stumped at this point. While driving the car home from the seller my wife noticed that there would occasionally be a sharp "clunk" coming from the front passenger side when going over bumps. Once it was parked I took another look under the hood and almost immediately spotted the problem, there is a part (It appears to be a rubber bushing of some kind) missing from the passenger side strut tower. This allows the shock to move around and impact the tower causing the "clunk". Obviously this needs to be replaced but I have searched all over the internet and cannot find any part on any site that looks like this thing and I don't know the proper name for it either to order it correctly. Sorry for the terrible cellphone pics but that's all I have to use for a camera right now. The first pic shows the drivers side with the part in place, the 2nd shows the passenger side without it. Could anyone here please tell me what the proper name for this "bushing" is? And also, can I replace it from above? Or must I "drop" the suspension on this corner to fix it? There are 2 metal discs as you can see in the pics that still remain on the passenger side that apparently are normally positioned above and below this rubber bushing, so how the rubber part vanished from in between them is anyone's guess. If someone sits in the passenger seat the shock extends giving about an inch or so of clearance between the 2 metal discs, it almost looks as though I could "engineer" something to fit but obviously I would prefer to replace it properly. Sorry for this super long first post but I wanted to give as much detail as I could. Any info on this would really be appreciated. Thanks.
Attachments
IMAG0004.jpg
This is the driver's side:
IMAG0005.jpg
And this is the passenger side:

jpkuntz
Year and Model: 2002 S80 T6
United States of America
jpkuntz

Re: Unknown Suspension Part

Post by jpkuntz » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:27 am

Looks like you need a new strut mount. Replace both sides with part number 30714968 and consider new spring seats, as well. You will need to drop the strut assemblies, remove the springs, etc. and get the steering aligned when complete.

Billsfan
Year and Model: 2002 S80 2.9
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Billsfan

Re: Unknown Suspension Part

Post by Billsfan » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:58 am

Hey, thanks for replying. Late response cause I thought I'd get an email when somebody said something. Ok, so I need the entire strut mount then, I've seen that part in several places, didn't recognize it cause I guess it is sitting underneath the cover and I am just seeing the damaged part. Was hoping I didn't have to drop the suspension to do this as I live about 30 plus miles from anyone who can actually re-align this thing...Properly I mean, I'm sure some of the local guys would probably give it a shot but I really don't trust them if it's not a pickup truck:), not looking forward to that ride lol. I am thinking that if I am going to have to get into all that I might as well get new shocks as well. Sorry if my question sounded dumb but I am unfamiliar with these cars and didn't know if that missing rubber part was a separate piece or not. Last Volvo I drove regularly was my friend's old 70's 240 that he got from his parents when we were kids. Neither one of us knew anything about cars back then, all we knew is that if we kept putting fuel in it, it kept running lol. Thanks again.