IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

S80 Fuel tank/filler neck leak

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on the Volvo S80 model. Sometimes called an "executive car", the S80 was and continues to be Volvo's top-of-the-line passenger car.
ASKJesse
Year and Model: 2002 S80 2.9
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
ASKJesse

S80 Fuel tank/filler neck leak

Post by ASKJesse » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:27 am

I'm a newbie to the Volvo community, having recently purchased a 2002 S80. I am impressed with the car so far, except when I fill it up. The cabin fills with a fuel smell and it leaks gas in couple of spots, a few inches from each other on the drivers side, between the pillar and rear tire. At first, I thought I over filled it but, it has happened twice now and lasts until I've emptied a 1/4 tank.

Any ideas and fixes are appreciated.

Thanks,

Jesse

Cees Klumper
Year and Model: C70 2008 T5
United States of America
Cees Klumper

Re: S80 Fuel tank/filler neck leak

Post by Cees Klumper » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:19 am

Today I tackled the same problem on my 2002 T6. Puddle of gas when filling up, not good! First I thought the smell after filling up was because the gas cap gasket is dried out, until I saw the small puddle underneath the car, just before the right rear tire. Turns out there is a rubber ' elbow' where the filler tube connects to the (plastic) fuel tank, which has dried out also and has a few cracks. Diagnosis easy, solution not so much. I thought I would have to drop the fuel tank to gain access to the rubber connection, so I started by removing the exhaust system, aft of the catalytic converter. This also because I have to finally replace the end and middle sileners, i.e. the entire system aft of the cats. I sprayed some penetrant onto what looked like the two nuts/bolts that attach the middle silencer to the cat. Upon closer inspection though, these were not regular nuts and bolts. I still don't know what they were, only that it took about 5 hours of sawing and drilling, and about 8 drill bits, to get the things off/out. I am still sore from all that above-head labor. Anyway, it all came out in the end and the connection / bolt holes at the cat are clean and ready to receive the new exhaust.
Then, when I learned what would be involved in dropping the gas tank ("remove the entire interior" or something similar) and upon closer inspection, it turned out I could see the leaking connector, but no way could I reach it to remove/replace it even if I would drop the tank; the right rear suspension was very much in the way. Seemed like the only way to gain access was to drop the rear sub-frame and suspension. Never done that, but it was surprisingly easy, about 6 bolts, including the bottom one that holds the shock absorber, and the whole thing sank a good distance. Now with good access, was able to remove the filler tubes and the connectors. Just ordered all the new parts on-line (SKandix in Germany) including the new exhaust, and look forward to putting it all back together.
Will have to pick up some new drill bits. What an ordeal that was!

June
Year and Model: 2004 S80 T6
United States of America
June

Post by June » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:05 pm

Congratulations on your purchase of your first Volvo. I owned a 2002 S80 T6 and by far it was my favorite car I ever owned during my 31 years of driving. I still have and drive daily my 2004 S80 T6. You will hear a lot of nonsense on these forums that our cars were somehow no good from the factory. Pay no mind and enjoy driving your first Volvo. Synthetic oil and in my opinion way sooner than recommended is key to less problems with turbo charged engines. Also if you drive the car hard, remember to let the engine idle for several minutes before shutting it off. From what I understand the engine oil pump lubricates the turbos and if they are spinning fast from high rpm driving it takes them several minutes to slow down and without the engine on you can starve them of oil causing premature failure. It is in your owners manual. I always minimally let my car idle one minute before shutting it off every time I drive and I have never had a turbo fail yet on any of my Volvos over the years. June
My Volvo cars owned
1989 740 GLT ordered
1994 850 4door standard shift ordered
1996 960 ordered
1998 S90 ordered totalled after 3 weeks
1998 V70 GT dealer stock car
2002 S80 T6 ordered totalled
2004 S80 T6 dealer stock car and current car owned

Cees Klumper
Year and Model: C70 2008 T5
United States of America
Cees Klumper

Post by Cees Klumper » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:23 am

Yesterday the parts (finally) arrived from Skandix and I was able to install the new filler neck and exhaust. Everything back to 100%.