IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Tight Power Steering - Just Started

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on the Volvo S80 model. Sometimes called an "executive car", the S80 was and continues to be Volvo's top-of-the-line passenger car.
DawgMach1
Year and Model: 2004 S80 T6
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
DawgMach1

Tight Power Steering - Just Started

Post by DawgMach1 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:41 pm

Hi. Looking for some guidance on what might be causing this problem.

Car: 2004 Volvo S80 T6 with 102,000 miles

First off, no issues steering before this started, normal functionality, easy to turn.

After my commute from work, stopped by a store, turning the wheel left to lock position to back in to a parking spot. That's when the steering wheel became stiff / hard to turn. Since then, it is stiff at idle parked and at speed on the road.

I checked the fluid level and its full. I checked the belt and its good, with good tension. While at idle, parked, i turned the wheel all the way left to lock and then all the way right to lock. Normal noise from the power steering pump while turning and slight whine (again normal) when holding the wheel at locked position for a few seconds. No leaks at the reservoir, at the pump or underneath the car. Also, listened inside and out while the wheels were turned, no new noises.

I did notice when turning in to my drive way, the steering wheel seemed to get tighter/bind for a split second beyond what I'm describing above.

Any thoughts?

Pump issues? Ball joint issues? CV issues?

Thanks!

Niva
Year and Model: 2000 S80 t6
New Zealand
Niva

Re: Tight Power Steering - Just Started

Post by Niva » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:08 pm

Mine makes a whining noise and is very heavy even after having the rack rebuilt

I thought that was normal hahaha

chestermo
Year and Model: S60 T-5 2001
United States of America
chestermo

Re: Tight Power Steering - Just Started

Post by chestermo » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:18 am

In addition to the binding, if you notice popping noises from the front end while turning and going over a bump, it could be the upper strut mounts are worn out. The steering on my S60 was binding up at times. I replaced the struts with coilovers and all binding and popping noise stopped. I recently changed the power steering fluid and steering is as smooth as butter. Might be worth checking out.