IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

2005 S80 2.5t EGR / PCV / Oil trap clog solution

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on the Volvo S80 model. Sometimes called an "executive car", the S80 was and continues to be Volvo's top-of-the-line passenger car.
johnljoseph
Year and Model: 2005 S80 2.5T
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
johnljoseph

Volvo Repair Database 2005 S80 2.5t EGR / PCV / Oil trap clog solution

Post by johnljoseph » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:18 am

Well, what began as an effort to check out the health of the Flame Trap / Oil Trap / PCV / EGR system (I know it isn't really any of those) on my 2005 S80 2.5T (engine B5254T2) has turned into an odyssey. I took the manifold off, I worked my way through the vacuum lines (who knows if I have them hooked back up correctly) and the plugs and all. Finally, after cursing Volvo design engineers a few times, I got the Oil Trap box removed.

It was completely full but thankfully hadn't blocked the upper engine hole yet. Inside the box was sludge that I cleaned out by immersing the box in gasoline repeatedly and letting it drain out and then throttle body cleaner. Much of the material was grainy and hard like coffee grounds.

The exit from the box, the lower oil drain hole, was completely clogged. I attached my compressor to a rubber nipple and couldn't get any pressure through the clog. It was solid. I had read all the articles about the convoluted design of the oil drain but I didn't want to drop the oil pan. I wanted to unclog the oil drain and then change the oil.

Initially I was able to get an unbent wire coat hanger down the hole (Which opens in the lower back of the hole if you are looking for the exit to the oil sump). I could get it in about six inches before the hanger couldn't be pushed any farther. I thought I was toast and would have to drop the pan. I looked all over for something that I could snake down the hole but couldn't find anything better than the hanger.

My wife came in and suggested that my son had something that might help, a trumpet cleaner snake. It looked perfect, although it is a bit flimsier than a snake should be. It is a three foot long snake with a flimsy brush on either end. I cut off one and ad attached it to my drill. I managed to get it kinked a few times and had to cut it shorter but after a few false starts managed to have a fairly manageable snake.

I got it fed down into the hold and it made it to an impasse which gave way after 5 minutes of drilling. The snake made it farther, I assume to the bottom of the oil pan, and then stopped. I tried for 10 minutes to get it to snake farther to no avail and then suddenly it popped through the blockage (or around the corner).

I slowly withdrew the snake allowing it to "brush" the chamber well on the way back up and then checked to see if my compressor could get air down into the hole. Surprisingly it did. There was no resistance at all and I could hear it gurgling.

I wanted to post this for any others in a similar situation that might be looking for a way to unblock their oil trap, oil exit hole to the sump. I am sure there are other things that would work better than the trumpet cleaner that I used. Something stiffer would have been better but I don't know if something stiffer could have gotten around that final bend in the pipe / channel.

Hope this helps.

-John
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

2005 Volvo S80 2.5T - 254,000 miles
1998 BMW 740iL - 165,000 miles

Not a mechanic.... just too cheap to pay one...

bugeye
Year and Model: S80 2007, XC70 2004
United States of America
bugeye

Re: 2005 S80 2.5t EGR / PCV / Oil trap clog solution

Post by bugeye » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:51 pm

O my. Well at least the oil passage is now open. I would want to remove and clean the oil pan. Should you choose not to remove pan, be sure to flush the crankcase well with the oil drain plug open. Suggest pouring kerosene down a hose into that now cleaned port. Hopefully will rinse the solids out of the oil drain pan. Suggest a short cheap oil change after 10 minutes of idle operation. Look at oil filter for sludge. Change oil and filter as appropriate. Don't want to clog the oil pickup screen.

johnljoseph
Year and Model: 2005 S80 2.5T
United States of America
johnljoseph

Re: 2005 S80 2.5t EGR / PCV / Oil trap clog solution

Post by johnljoseph » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:05 pm

Yes. I bought some oil flush. I thought I'd ad that, perhaps some 0 weight oil that I have that I don't have a use for anymore and give it a good rinse. I was just happy that it came loose. I bought the car from my mother who paid for oil changes every 3K miles and who supposedly had her mechanic change the "flame trap" twice. (She read online that a clogged flame trap could cause a stalling problem she was having. Her mechanic insisted that it was all bunk.. but he'd change it to appease her...). No one has ever been under that manifold.. not ever....not once.... and I doubt she got the oil changes she paid for either. What a shame....

Hopefully I have that problem licked though.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

2005 Volvo S80 2.5T - 254,000 miles
1998 BMW 740iL - 165,000 miles

Not a mechanic.... just too cheap to pay one...