IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Engine Size Question

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on the Volvo S80 model. Sometimes called an "executive car", the S80 was and continues to be Volvo's top-of-the-line passenger car.
barmn1
Year and Model: 2002 S80
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
barmn1

Engine Size Question

Post by barmn1 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:23 pm

Hello all. I'm new to this site, which I am glad to have found. It already has been extremely helpful, thank you.

My son recently bought a 2002 S80 (L6 2.9, non-turbo) and is experiencing intermittent starting issues. I'm pretty sure it is a fuel pump on the fritz, as it seems to start up after I wack on the pump. So, I need to do a little more testing to confirm.

My only question, when looking up part numbers for new fuel filter and pumps, there is the following engine options:

- 2.9L 2917CC l6 GAS DOHC Naturally Aspirated or
- 2.9L 2922CC l6 GAS DOHC Naturally Aspirated.

Can anyone tell me how to tell which engine we have, is there an easy way to tell?

Unfortunately, is seems to make a difference in which fuel filter I order.

Thanks in advance for any input.

barmn1
United States of America
barmn1

Re: Engine Size Question

Post by barmn1 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:42 pm

Thanks, 800, for the reply and suggestions.

I got it figured out, the size in 2922CC, not sure where some of the parts sites get the other number, but I can find no data on it.

Fuel pressure is holding steady @ 54psi, so the pump is working fine now. It loses a little pressure with the key shut off, but seems to be holding steady at @ 48psi even then. Last night I played around with the fuel filter, unhooking the lines, so maybe I dislodged some crud in there and allowed it fuel to flow.

Although my gut is telling me the fuel pump is going. There was not alot of pressure in the fuel line upstream of the filter when I disconnected it last night.

Do you or anyone else know if these engines have a fuel pressure regulator. I can't find one, so I'm assuming no.

Lastly, anyone with any advice on replacing the fuel pumps, as there appears to be two of them, feel free to send it my way.

Thanks again.

yagger
Year and Model: S60 2005 2,5T
Belarus
yagger

Post by yagger » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:22 pm

The fuel pump is controlled by an electronic module, the electronic module is controlled by the engine control module (ECM). The engine control module receives information from the fuel pressure sensor on fuel rail ramp. According to information received, the engine control module provides a PWM signal to an electronic pump control unit. Something in this chain can not work properly. Need more information.
Volvo electronics and programming.Yagger&Doublebug - our experience invaluable.
Aftermarket Online Data Transferring Service for Volvo Pass: total

barmn1
United States of America
barmn1

Post by barmn1 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:34 am

yagger, thanks for the rely and additional info.

You stated that the "engine control module receives information from the fuel pressure sensor on fuel rail ramp" . The fuel pressure sensor is what I was trying to locate, to test it. I don't see one on the fuel rail, unless its located beneath the intake plenum.

Although, it has been starting/running just fine, except for that one day when it wouldn't start. We've been using it cautiously for the last week, hoping it would not start in the driveway and then we could test the pressure from the pump while it was not starting, to give us something to go forward with. Unfortunately, (or fortunately) its been starting right up.

I don't want to go around replacing things blindly.

yagger
Year and Model: S60 2005 2,5T
Belarus
yagger

Post by yagger » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:49 pm

You have the engine without the turbo. I looked under the scheme for 2002 engines DENCO not visible sensor on the ramp. Maybe for your case I'm wrong. Could you take a photo of the engine compartment?
Volvo electronics and programming.Yagger&Doublebug - our experience invaluable.
Aftermarket Online Data Transferring Service for Volvo Pass: total