IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

ODBII Error Code p1620. Can anyone help me diagnose what this could be?

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on the Volvo S80 model. Sometimes called an "executive car", the S80 was and continues to be Volvo's top-of-the-line passenger car.
ThatTinTin
Year and Model: 2000 S80 2.4
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Great Britain
ThatTinTin

ODBII Error Code p1620. Can anyone help me diagnose what this could be?

Post by ThatTinTin » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:48 pm

Hi Everyone, new member here.

Have just bought a 2000 (W Reg) 2.4L S80 with 101,000 miles on the clock. Bought at a bargain price as it had some issues and as I am not working at the moment I need something to keep me busy.

So, so far i have managed to clean the ECM, which was pretty grotty, I am replacing the brake sensor when it comes in the post in the next few days, I am also replacing the front suspension mounts as they are making a very heavy knocking sound when i go over a bump (I thought at first it was the S80 standard exhaust knock when I test drove it). I bought a kit to pull out a few shopping trolly dings on the bodywork and I have totally refurbished the leather, carpets and head lining, replacing the headlining on the A and B pillars as they were peeling off.

I still have a couple more things to do, but there is one thing that is annoying me at the moment, I get an ODBII error p1620, which seems to relate to cooling but I cant find anymore information other than that. I have trawled forums and google and not found anything specific for Volvos (NB: My ODB meter doesnt have a Volvo setting so I use the VW setting as I think I read somewhere the engines on the early S80s were made by VW?).

I have checked coolant levels, the main fan, pipes. I haven't removed the thermostat yet but the temp gauge in the car is not going higher than half way so I dont think its that.

Has anyone come across a similar problem before and if so how did they fix it.

(The only other codes i have had have been related to the brake switch height, brake bulb, ECM usuals and every now and then a car alarm error but I think thats a ghost error).

Legofan
Year and Model: 2001 S80 T6
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Legofan

Re: ODBII Error Code p1620. Can anyone help me diagnose what this could be?

Post by Legofan » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:06 am

Trouble Code: P1620 - (Manufacturer Specific)
System: Powertrain
Subsystem: Computer and Auxiliary Output Circuits

DTC Description: Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Signal open / short to B +

Likely Cause: Circuit Open or Short to Battery Positive
2001 S80 T6 Moondust sent to auction for scrap