IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Volvo modules repair and programming
Please use the MVS Amazon link when you buy anything at all! It helps this site. Thanks very much!

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

"Transmission Service Urgent", replace valve body or rebuild?

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on the Volvo S80 model. Sometimes called an "executive car", the S80 was and continues to be Volvo's top-of-the-line passenger car.
jeffers
Year and Model: volvo,2000

"Transmission Service Urgent", replace valve body or rebuild?

Post by jeffers »

My 2000 volvo s80 2.9 (110k miles) got "Transmission Service Urgent" message when I tried to accelerate the other day and "Check engine" light is on as well. I feel the car is vibrating from time to time. I went to my local Volvo dealer last week. They told me valve body is bad. To replace valve body costs $2300, transmission rebuild costs $3000. I don't the money, so I took it back. And today the "Transmission service urgent" message is gone, while check engine light is still on. The car is still vibrating from time to time.
My question is do I have to fix it as soon as possible? Can I drive it as is for a while? When I have savings, should I go have valve body replaced only or get a transmission rebuild?
Thanks a lot!
ThommyKent
Year and Model: 91 245 97 850 T5

Re: "Transmission Service Urgent", replace valve body or rebuild?

Post by ThommyKent »

Drive it until it doesn`t drive anymore, I guarantee it will fail in the worst possible location and time. ( that`s the way life is ) For $700 more do the rebuild.