1999 S80 T6 engine stalling, rough idle, power loss

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on the Volvo S80 model. Sometimes called an "executive car", the S80 was and continues to be Volvo's top-of-the-line passenger car.
Legofan
Year and Model: 2001 S80 T6

Re: 1999 S80 T6 engine stalling, rough idle, power loss

Post by Legofan »

Blue goes into the intake right after the flex from the filter box.

The purge solenoid is located on the fan shroud driver side.
Attachments
Screenshot_20170416-213527.png
2001 S80 T6 Moondust sent to auction for scrap

filichino
Year and Model: 1999 S80 T6

Post by filichino »

Huge thanks to you Legofan! You pointed me in the right direction! My hoses were crossed, I had my blue line tcv hose connected to the lower intercooler hose rather than the air intake. I let it idle for half hour and then drove it around for another half hour and it seems to be okay, no more stalling, plenty of power now, only issue i'm still seeing is the engine rpm's are still a "little" rough especially at idle and I can still feel some slight engine surging when driving on the freeway, but not as bad as before...

Legofan

Post by Legofan »

Great news!

The next thing you can check is the VVT solenoid. This opens an closes oil flow to the VVT hub that adjusts timing. It's located on the top of the engine under the small timing belt cover. You can remove it and check that it actuates when given 12VDC and you can inspect the gasket. There is a small screen that the oil passes through and it my be clogged. A new gasket is cheap and the dealer will have it. If it has splicing connectors on it then it has been replaced at least once, but if its the original wiring it's most likely original. They aren't super expensive so you might consider replacing it.

Another thing you can do is take it to the dealer and have them inspect all the turbo vacuum lines under the car. It's worth the hour labor and cost in hoses. There's a lot of heat there and they dry rot over time as well as get clogged.

Even though it hasn't thrown a code yet, worst case scenario is the VVT timing hub is failing.

When was the last time the fuel filter was replaced?

filichino

Post by filichino »

Thanks again for the tips, this is my work commute car, I'll probably end up selling/junking it if it costs more more in $$$ to maintain. As long as its running enough to get me to work and back home I'm happy.

Legofan

Post by Legofan »

filichino wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:39 am Thanks again for the tips, this is my work commute car, I'll probably end up selling/junking it if it costs more more in $$$ to maintain. As long as its running enough to get me to work and back home I'm happy.
I understand, good luck!

850TurboTurtle
Year and Model: 96 850T, 05 S80T6

Post by 850TurboTurtle »

I remember my 850Turbo ran really poorly when it got a small hole in the turbo to intake air hose. The break was underneath a spot that had had oil dripping on it and had softened. Might be worth checking the pressurized turbo hoses just for good measure.

Legofan

Post by Legofan »

850TurboTurtle wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:09 pm I remember my 850Turbo ran really poorly when it got a small hole in the turbo to intake air hose. The break was underneath a spot that had had oil dripping on it and had softened. Might be worth checking the pressurized turbo hoses just for good measure.
This is a good idea.

filichino

Post by filichino »

Well everyone I spoke too soon, I'm back to square one.... The car does not completely stall however it comes close to it. I'm again suffering really rough engine idle, complete loss of engine power at times, and engine surging at freeway speeds. All that has changed is that the weather has been 20 to 30 degrees warmer. I decided to go ahead and replace the MAF sensor with a new one and that had no improvement. I then decided to put back the original MAF sensor and the car then posted a check engine light with P0121 and P0442 codes. I should also add that the poor performance starts after I drive the car for about 30 to 45 minutes. I'm really wondering if this is a bad throttle body. Should I be disconnecting the battery for some length of time when I replace the MAF? I'm so stumped at this point....Thanks for everyone's​ input so far.
Last edited by filichino on Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Legofan

Post by Legofan »

P0121 is ECM connection/read error between ECM and ETM

P0442 is evap leak small. That's the purge solenoid on the fan shroud and the hose runs back to the carbon canister. This won't effect engine performance though as it is only for emissions.

Anyway, I'm going to say the ETM is failing unfortunately. You can buy them fast to install for a few hundred I think.

filichino

Post by filichino »

An idependent volvo repair shop near me quoted $1,250 for a new throttle, software download​ and labor. I know I said before that Im not spending any more $ to fix this car but I'm willing to spend at least a few hundred dollars. Where can I find a ETM for that much Legofan? Thanks again for all the help.