IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Going to replace my '02 Anniv. Ed. T6 with, yes, another S80 (or SUV). Checklist to ask seller?

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on the Volvo S80 model. Sometimes called an "executive car", the S80 was and continues to be Volvo's top-of-the-line passenger car.
EChem
Year and Model: 2002 S80 T6 Anniv Ed
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
EChem

Going to replace my '02 Anniv. Ed. T6 with, yes, another S80 (or SUV). Checklist to ask seller?

Post by EChem » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:42 pm

OK, the wife and I love her but she's got 270K miles so it's time. Love the size, room so going to stick with the S80, unless the wife gets on an SUV kick, which seems to perhaps be starting. Man, I hope not. Just more work as I haven't even looked nor familiar with them and their particular problems but I'm now in a permanent boot (Crow foot) and she thinks the higher ground clearance will make it easier for me to enter/exit, which is true (or easier for her to run me over with?). So, firstly looking at probably $8-12K which puts me in an '08-'12 S80 with 80-120K miles. If I go to an SUV, which would you recommend in this price range with the room of our S80? I had a cup of coffee with my V70XC, totaled last year after I had it for a year and a half. Liked it but, as it was really a wagon, if I go the SUV route it's because of something higher off the ground.

I've spent hours here and at the other site researching the more current (compared to my '02) S80's. Then it was going to about 6 different sites to look for them. Closest possibility to me is 80 miles (far east side Cleveland). Expanded my search to most selling sites 200 mile max. and have about 9-10 possibles. Was going to look for the 4.4L V8, but those seem to be really rare. I think I found 1 that I ruled out for some other reason, all the rest T6's. Since I don't want to traipse all over, I really want to narrow them down via phone before a visit. And with them all being so far away, having my mechanic look them over isn't going to be possible. Not super knowledgeable, but enough to be dangerous. So I want to put together a checklist of questions to do this. In my research I haven't run across anything really like this. This is what I've come up with so far. Hopefully they'll have service records to back up their stories.

1. Have used synthetic oil? Top of my list as when I bought the '02 V70XC, which had 134K miles, a month later the crank seals blew because of the oil trap/sump clogged. Didn't know about the glove test, which I will do to all candidates.

2. Look at Carfax for service records/accidents/owners but I always take that with a grain of salt because a lot of repairs and even accidents don't show up there.

3. Major repairs done. I'm a big believer in preventative maintenance. So with a car in the 80-120K mile range, what do you think should have been done or will be upcoming? The only major things the service schedule lists is trans flush every 42K or so, serp and timing @ 90K. Pretty much everything else I've seen according to the Volvo service intervals are just general checks, i.e., check suspension, engine mounts, bearings, etc. I know these are all driving style dependent, but what else do you think should have been done or will need soon when it's got 80-120K miles to factor into cost?

4. Any other pertinent questions you would ask?

And also, if all the installation goes well, I should have VIDA/Dice in a couple of weeks. Have never used it. Would that be useful to take along to analyze anything, even if no check engine, and if so, what?

Thanks.