IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

99 S80 T6 need advice on wet plugs

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on the Volvo S80 model. Sometimes called an "executive car", the S80 was and continues to be Volvo's top-of-the-line passenger car.
rindress
Year and Model: S80 2000
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
rindress

Re: 99 S80 T6 need advice on wet plugs

Post by rindress » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:21 am

We don't really know the history. The car did come with service records, but by the look of the idler pulley, tensioner, etc I think he should just replace the belt, pulleys and water pump. Also after taking the cover off and looking at the camshafts for the timing marks there are some strange 'green' paint marks that it looks like someone put on there but they don't line up with the timing marks at all. Yet another reason to check the timing and replace things.

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
SuperHerman

Re: 99 S80 T6 need advice on wet plugs

Post by SuperHerman » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:22 pm

If the car ran correctly after the PO did the belt, unless something moved I would assume it is in time.

The green marks are actually a good sign. It may show that they replaced the front cam seals. The green marks should correspond to the front and rear rotational movement of the VVT hub. That is one way people use to re-time the engine when the VVT(s) are removed.

What is the condition of the belt? How do the other parts look like? If they are okay I would not touch anything, assuming it is timed, until you solve the rest of the problems. You may be throwing money away if something else is really wrong.