IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Transmission squealing post rebuild

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on the Volvo S80 model. Sometimes called an "executive car", the S80 was and continues to be Volvo's top-of-the-line passenger car.
rpasieka
Year and Model: 2000 S80 T6

Transmission squealing post rebuild

Post by rpasieka »

Hello, love my S80, so when third began slipping, I did tons of research, and found many links and ideas on how to repair it. I've pulled the tranmission, rebuilt it, replacing the input, second and third clutch pads, only 3rd was really gone, plus I had the torque converter rebuilt.

I've not been able to test drive it to see if the rebuild was successful, as I now have a squeal on start up coming from the bell housing/pump area, which goes away when you put it in gear, and comes back at a higher pitch at about 20 km/hr (10 mph). It sounds like a bad serpentine belt/bearing, not like a dryer, nor does it have any thumping or banging. The fluid looks clean, no metal, no debris, I've pulled the pump from the side, and it looks pristine. I'm assuming I have to pull the transmission again, but would like some opinions before I do that.

What could be the issues?

Thanks

Ron
SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90

Re: Transmission squealing post rebuild

Post by SuperHerman »

I don't know much on the Volvo, but had similar issues with other cars. Mine turned out to be one of the torque converter bolts not being fully tightened down once, and a shield that was bent just a tad on another. Check these over.

Only other thought would be whether you fully seated the torque converter.
rpasieka
Year and Model: 2000 S80 T6

Re: Transmission squealing post rebuild

Post by rpasieka »

Thanks for your reply, I've started removing it, so I will know shortly if the bolts were tight!