IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

New poster and brake bleed question

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on the Volvo S80 model. Sometimes called an "executive car", the S80 was and continues to be Volvo's top-of-the-line passenger car.
bratwurstnrice
Year and Model: 2008 S80
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Canada
bratwurstnrice

New poster and brake bleed question

Post by bratwurstnrice » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:40 pm

Hi All,

New to this forum and to S80. Just let go of our family's beloved 1999 V70XC and replaced it with a 2008 S80 V8. There's quite a difference to put it lightly.

I purchased this car as-is with 160k miles / 260 thou kms on it. Runs great. Body, interior, audio, all excellent. . . and the price was great, which leads me to my first couple experiences with the car (and ultimately a question about brake bleeding).

After a couple months of driving I noticed the back end wandering especially around curves and exaggerated by bumps. Repair should be happening within the next couple days and I expect something like rear stay and possibly trailing arm bushing. Last night as I arrived home the brake pedal went soft. Very soft. I am leaking brake fluid at the rear right wheel.

Question on brake bleeding method - VIDA says (starting with front left wheel)
- Depress the brake pedal a few times. Maintain pressure.
- Open the bleed nipple.
- Depress the pedal fully. Keep it depressed for approximately 5 seconds.
Release it again. Repeat this 3-5 times until there are no air bubbles in the fluid coming out of the hose.
- Tighten the bleed nipple.

Is this for real? I would expect to close the bleed nipple prior to releasing the brake pedal each time. The above makes it a lot easier but hard to believe. Anyone interpret it differently?

And I can't wait to see if the rear suspension problem caused the brake flex hose to break. That would be a new one on me.

Thanks.

oragex
Year and Model: S60 2003
Canada
oragex

Re: New poster and brake bleed question

Post by oragex » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:03 pm

Welcome! The 2008 S80 is a beauty, even more so with the V8

That is the 'by the very book' way. You will need to get 2-3ft of clear plastic hose from the hardware store that will fit tight over the caliper bleeder. Open the fluid reservoir cap. Put the other end of the hose in a can, then open the bleeder and pump the brake pedal - just NOT fully to the floor, put a 3in thick piece of wood under the pedal so it doesn't reach the floor. You can also fire up the engine, it will boost the brake and bleed faster. Keep an eye on the reservoir so it doesn't drop below the minimum - important.
Given you are in Canada, quite sure the nipples will be seized, especially the rear ones. Forcing will cause them to snap = new caliper. If they are tight, buy new ones from Volvo only, and replace as soon as the old one is loosened.

Check rubber hoses on all four corners. My front ones were deeply cracked at 100K miles, your rear ones surely snapped from worn rear control arm bushings (use only Lemforder or Volvo bushings, don't put any other brand, look for Fcp, Ipd, Eeuroparts etc)

I'd have plenty of brake fluid Dot 4 synthetic for european cars (Canadian Tire) if you are replacing the hoses, along with some pieces of eraser to block the lines from emptying the reservoir while disconnected.

bratwurstnrice
Canada
bratwurstnrice

Post by bratwurstnrice » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:56 pm

That's great, sounds like good advice. Will pick up some bleeders on the assumption I can get the old ones out.

Eeuroparts had some flex lines on clearance and I bought them a couple weeks ago. Go figure, might as well replace them all as I will be bleeding everything anyway. I'll make sure to use a good length of clear hose and the wood block. And . . . I've got the Lemforder bushings sitting in my living room so I should be good to go.

Thanks for your help.

bratwurstnrice
Canada
bratwurstnrice

Post by bratwurstnrice » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:00 am

Well here's an update . . . I made some assumptions about what I might be dealing with based on the age of the car and the location of the brake fluid leak. I got ready with flex lines, rear stay and trailing arm bushings for both sides of the car. The passenger side where I had the brake fluid leak was behaving oddly during jacking and wheel removal. This is what I found.
IMG_20180224_123220.jpg
Speechless. . . turns out it was not the flex line leaking but the solid brake line shown up against the trailing arm.

Best I can find is original Volvo on FCP Euro. I guess there are no heavy duty aftermarket options like those available pre-2007.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Otherwise I will just go ahead and do both trailing arms for peace of mind. Very bizarre, the part was a bit rusty but not rusted out by any stretch, and the break was there for a while because there was some light corrosion on the fracture surfaces.

Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

oragex
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:12 pm

Very strange. First time I see this. I'd show this to Volvo, it looks like a severe defect on the arm, could it be an aftermarket piece?

What is the Carfax of the car, any accidents?

Just the 'saw' fracture pattern is not normal, if a weld would give up or if there was a crack, it would have been a single long tear in the metal.

I'd certainly replace both sides even with used ones - hopefully original Volvo ones.

bratwurstnrice
Canada
bratwurstnrice

Post by bratwurstnrice » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:24 pm

I agree it's strange. I'm not finding aftermarket, just Volvo ones - pre 2007 there are lots of options but not after that year. Yes I was going to bring it to the dealer but would be surprised if they do anything for me. No record of an accident in the used vehicle information package when I bought the car. The crack seemed to jump between holes in the stamped metal and if it was from an accident I would expect it to be bent as well as other things bent. I think I will email that photo to Volvo Canada and see what they say about it. Pothole? I will post if they come back with an answer.

If anyone knows a good on-line supplier that has aftermarket stuff for the 08's please let me know.

oragex
Canada
oragex

Post by oragex » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:02 pm

It also looks the kind of area where a good weld could do some decent patch. At least, until sourced a replacement part.

The best i really a junkyard, pick and pull type, there are a few near your location, may just go on local.google.com and type something like auto recycling. With a little luck the 2008 may have the same part as the earlier years

bratwurstnrice
Canada
bratwurstnrice

Post by bratwurstnrice » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:22 pm

I opted to go to the dealer and pay up - 2007 onward have different parts and that is the point where the availability of aftermarket declines. You're probably right that there are some decent second hand sources but at the moment i wanted to be sure to have a 100% good part. I've been picking at this for a while in spare time and all the suspension work is done. The back wheel is in the centre of the wheel well again. Now I just have to splice in a new connector to the brake line upstream of the trailing arm and connect up the new rear section of brake line. Such a shame because we have forecast up to 30cm of snow tonight. It is falling now and I won't quite be ready to drive in it . . . trying to drift our minivan is just pathetic. My wife tells me she heard my car crying in the driveway as the snow started. :D