IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Free shipping all USA - Experts in Brakes
I'll be performing maintenance on the server March 31. I'll try my best to make interruptions as painless as possible. Thanks for your understanding.
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Flickering/failing low beam headlights and turn signals 2000 S80 [ bad ignition switch, electrical part] Topic is solved

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on the Volvo S80 model. Sometimes called an "executive car", the S80 was and continues to be Volvo's top-of-the-line passenger car.
wpobrien
Year and Model: 2000 S80
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
wpobrien

Flickering/failing low beam headlights and turn signals 2000 S80 [ bad ignition switch, electrical part]  Topic is solved

Post by wpobrien » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:46 am

Hello - we have had a 2000 S80 for 18 years and has been a great car. Recently the low beam headlights have periodically flickered and occasionally gone off completely (dangerous at night). When headlights go out the turn signals also stop working. However no problems with high beam headlights so have as backup. Finally, when the headlights flicker there seems to be a shorting noise that is in sync with flickering under the driver side, lower dashboard (far left side). Any idea what might be the trouble here? Thanks for any suggestions.

04S80Christene
Year and Model: 2004 S80 T6
United States of America
04S80Christene

Re: Flickering/failing low beam headlights and turn signals 2000 S80

Post by 04S80Christene » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:53 pm

I am having a similar problem in my 04. Except my lights work fine when the switch is on, however when the switch is off as in on the 0 my lights flicker on and off. This all started after I had all of the lights in my instrument cluster go out (which have been working ever since). The only thing that I have done recently was replace a broken headlight with an OEM unit. I changed the headlight out about a week before this problem happened. On top of all this, the same night the air bag service light came on. Help...

wpobrien
Year and Model: 2000 S80
United States of America
wpobrien

Post by wpobrien » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:31 pm

Hello - I figured out my problem (with help from a post in Swedish that translated to English with Google translate). It was the ignition switch. It’s located under the steering column opposite the key. Part is ~$60 at Autozone. Took me 15 minutes to fix. Working great now. Thanks

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
United States of America
SuperHerman

Post by SuperHerman » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:15 am

Excellent and thank you for posting the follow up.