Amazon Black Friday deals
IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Marker Light Receptacle

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on the Volvo S80 model. Sometimes called an "executive car", the S80 was and continues to be Volvo's top-of-the-line passenger car.
ddpphx
Year and Model: 2005 S80

Marker Light Receptacle

Post by ddpphx »

2005 S80

My daughter's front bumper cover, passenger side marker light fell off. Not only the lens and bulb, but even the receptacle which attaches (I believe) to the wiring harness. See attached photo.

I'm left with only (A), . . . raw wires from the harness. As you can see I have the new receptacle (B). But, how do I fasten the wires (A) to the receptacle (B)?

In photo (C), a good connector has thicker wiring going into the receptacle, and there are bluish "plugs" around the wires where they are inside the receptacle. Does anyone know what wiring part # I need?

Thank you,
Daniel - Kentucky
Attachments
Receptacle.jpg
Last edited by ddpphx on Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan P

88 240DL - almost 200K - dead, but saved my life
98 S70 T5 - 133K - dead - tranny quit
05 S80 - 247K - for my daughter
SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90

Re: Marker Light Receptacle

Post by SuperHerman »

You are missing a few parts. The blue plugs are for water protection making a seal. Those go on the wire leads first and one slides them down after the metal crimp connector is inserted in the receptacle. Once in place it has barbs that should lock it in. Those connectors are missing. These connectors mate to the other side's connector which I assume has the bulb socket. Usually the receptacle would come with pig tails that only need to be spliced in to the old harness. Where did you get the connector?

Your best bet is to go to a wrecker or look on Craigslist. Buy the piece and cut the wires as long as you can - trim them to size later.

If you post a picture of the part on the car maybe someone can help you pull up a part number and year interchange. Provide a good description if it is not obvious from the photo. I am not sure if you are asking about a front bumper, rear bumper, front fender or door marker.
ddpphx

Post by ddpphx »

Thank you, SuperHerman. This is for the front bumper cover. Your analysis is spot on.

I bought the connector (receptacle) here: https://www.volvowholesalepartsdirect.c ... 68792.html.

After submitting my post above, I did some Google research and discovered the matching repair terminal for this receptacle, which your description matches exactly: https://www.volvowholesalepartsdirect.c ... 56635.html. I'm now waiting for that to arrive.

I had already purchased (FCP Groton) the mate for the connector which - again you are correct - holds the bulb. I also ordered the lens. Once the repair terminals arrive, I should have all parts and I'll attempt the fix and report back.

Thanks again. Nice write-up.
Dan P

ddpphx

Post by ddpphx »

Follow-up: the parts in my previous post did resolve this problem. The repair terminals matched up with the receptacle. There is a white component in the receptacle (opposite the side from where the repair terminals are inserted) which pushes in AFTER the terminals are inserted which lock the terminals in place.
Dan P