IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

S80 AWD- Four Struts or Two?

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on the Volvo S80 model. Sometimes called an "executive car", the S80 was and continues to be Volvo's top-of-the-line passenger car.
andeus
Year and Model: 2004 S80 2.5LT AWD
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
andeus

S80 AWD- Four Struts or Two?

Post by andeus » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:29 am

I went to have my oil change as per schedule, and they did one of those complimentary inspections.
Mechanic reported that my struts are worn and needed to be replaced. He showed me the unusual tire wear.
After quoting me $1600 in parts and labor however, I determined that I should just do this myself.

So now I'm at the point of buying strut assemblies, but I'm getting conflicting info.
RockAuto, FCPEuro, AutoPartsWarehouse, etc show only Front Struts and Rear Shocks that fit my car.
But then I see articles discussing AWD suspensions, and they show something like this:
where it looks like there are four struts.
And when I look at my car in person, I can see what looks to be a large spring behind the rear wheel (for a strut maybe? Seems too big to be Nivomat) with "Sachs [some model number]" written on it.

The workshop manual I have doesn't shed much light on the strut situation either...

So my question is this, to settle it once and for all- does the S80 AWD (or all AWD cars in general) have four struts, one for each wheel? Or two struts in the front and two shocks in the back?
Or both shocks and struts in the back?
And if there are indeed four struts needed, where could I find rear strut assemblies, since the sites I mentioned don't seem to know? How would I access the top of the struts in the rear anyway? Would I pull away the trunk liner and wheel well liner?

Really confused right now, sorry if I come across as ignorant.

Currently cruising (or fixing) my 2004 Volvo S80 2.5L Turbo AWD.

SuperHerman
Year and Model: 2004 & 2016 XC90
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
SuperHerman

Re: S80 AWD- Four Struts or Two?

Post by SuperHerman » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:33 pm

I pulled up 2004 S80 AWD 2.5T at an online dealer site and it shows front struts and rear shocks. Both are pretty straight forward to replace - rear being easier. Plenty of write ups. I did them on by 2004 S80, but b/c of your awd concern I double checked. If I recall on the rear one has to take out some interior pieces to get to the access for the top nut. Nothing too hard - get there, remove top nut and the shock just drops, but one removes the bottom first. Replacement is reverse, but you may need a jack to lift the shock or wheel to get it aligned so the bottom bolt can be installed.

Your tire wear is more likely to be caused by worn front/rear suspension components (ball joints, tie rods, control arms ...) before a worn out strut/shock. The strut/shock, unless bent and damaged will result in a bouncy ride. Take a look at them and see if they are leaking oil. It could be that all you need is an alignment. Stick your head under there and push, pull and look for cracks/tears of the bushings.

I think you are being taken by your shop
These users thanked the author SuperHerman for the post:
andeus

andeus
Year and Model: 2004 S80 2.5LT AWD
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
andeus

Re: S80 AWD- Four Struts or Two?

Post by andeus » Wed May 01, 2019 6:57 am

I'll have to examine in detail, and pull apart the trunk. Sounds like a fun weekend.
Maybe what I'm seeing in the rear isn't a strut, but a coil spring.

I'm willing to believe that the front struts are bad though since the car sits low in the front- so low that the tires have about 1/2" or less to clear the fenders.
The tires are new-ish and PSI is consistent.

But new struts and alignment couldn't hurt- I'd have to replace the struts eventually...right?

Currently cruising (or fixing) my 2004 Volvo S80 2.5L Turbo AWD.