IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Trouble with multiple codes, 2004 S80

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on the Volvo S80 model. Sometimes called an "executive car", the S80 was and continues to be Volvo's top-of-the-line passenger car.
Rucho26
Year and Model: 2004 S80
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
Rucho26

Trouble with multiple codes, 2004 S80

Post by Rucho26 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:53 am

So, after I had my transmission rebuilt (had to do it twice because it was still jerking on the low shifts; the second time was after the Cats.), I took my Volvo to get a pair of new catalytic converters; and ever since that was done my car is just not the same. I've got multiple codes on the computer. I will list them all below, in two groups.

After catalytic converters:
1. P0050. Front sensor Bank 2. Signal missing. Bank 2 (corresponds to cyl. 4, 5 and 6. or the right side of the engine if seen from the front bumper towards the trunk.)
2. P0300. Multiple Cylinder Misfire. (Probable causes according to research: Start-up, catalytic converter, or emissions impact.
3. P0301. Cylinder 1 Misfire.
4. P0302. Cylinder 2 Misfire.
5. P0303. Cylinder 3 Misfire. Because of these past 4 codes I decided to change the spark plugs. I did and I discovered that the "old" spark plugs were filled with "coal" meaning gasoline is not doing combustion properly on that side of the engine.
6. P2177. Adaptive heated oxygen sensor control. Bank 1 (corresponds to cyl. 1, 2, 3. or the left side of the engine if see from the front bumper towards the trunk). Possible causes: Signal to high, system to lean on idle, sensors, Mass Air Flow.
7. P2187. System to lean on idle, Bank 1. Possible causes: Adaptive heated oxygen sensor control. Signal missing or too high.

Could it be the after market catalytic converters they installed are not good quality and may be killing my car slowly? Should I just go back and get them straight piped? Any other ideas or suggestions?

After second run at the transmission:
1. "Transmission Service Required" appears as one of the messages on the instrument cluster. The first time we did this, the message was deleted by the computer automatically. Not this time, so something is up.
2. P0717. Input/Turbine speed sensor. Circuit no signal. This code is no longer in the computer, how ever I thought it might be worth checking out considering this could be the cause of the next code; in its place is the following code.
3. P0700. Transmission Control System. (Malfunction Indicator Lamp Request). Possible causes: Shorted or open circuit within Transmission Control Module. Faulty Transmission Control Module. Input/Turbine speed sensor (Circuit no signal)?

The transmission mechanic has my car again and is supposedly currently working on this at the moment. Could it be that one of the computers on the car is faulty? What could've caused this? Any other ideas?

Thank you so, so, so much for any help you can provide. This has been driving me nuts.
Last edited by matthew1 on Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited title. Please, no "help"s in titles.

Cees Klumper
Year and Model: C70 2008 T5
United States of America
Cees Klumper

Re: Trouble with multiple codes, 2004 S80

Post by Cees Klumper » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:33 pm

It sounds to me a bit like your (transmission/other) mechanic(s) are in over their heads. You are paying them to fix your issues, you should not have to be telling them what to do. Perhaps moving to another specialized Volvo shop? Sorry I am not more helpful on the concrete issues but it sounds like a variety of poorly installed / executed rebuilds and repairs.