IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics Volvo modules repair and programming
Please use the MVS Amazon link when you buy anything at all! It helps this site. Thanks very much!

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

Corrupt Canbus, xemodex said good luck

Help, Advice, Owners' Discussion and DIY Tutorials on the Volvo S80 model. Sometimes called an "executive car", the S80 was and continues to be Volvo's top-of-the-line passenger car.
imac
Year and Model: 1999 S80 T6

Re: Corrupt Canbus, xemodex said good luck

Post by imac »

I've driven 5000km since the swap, and it's been absolutely flawless it's truly a joy to drive.

I decided to swap every last module, my worry was one of the other modules was shot, and causing the modules on the high speed can bus to work overtime and eventually fail themselves. I feared if I only swapped the CEM, ECM, TCM, ABS, and REM, I'm sure it would have started and ran... but if the climate control, or door module etc was in fact damaged, it could fry everything all over again. For that reason I wasn't up for swapping one at a time to see what's vin locked or not. And yes, when plugged into vida it does show a different vin and a different year, but I could care less. There are emission tests in Canada yes, but I live far enough north I am exempt, and worse case I do have the ownership for the new car + vin.

So game on, I made just enough room in the garage fit her, and parked the parts car outside in the snow. All said and done, it was a really easy job, only a handful of tools needed, plus a couple hours of my time.
-
1.jpg
1.jpg (263.89 KiB) Viewed 76 times
-
2.jpg
2.jpg (186.06 KiB) Viewed 76 times
-
4.jpg
4.jpg (269.27 KiB) Viewed 76 times
-
The intake tube where it met the ETM looks like it's been leaking for a while! Related? Dunno, swapped for near mint one off parts car. There was a mass of oily crap all over the ETM, it's been like this for some time.
-
6.jpg
6.jpg (191.37 KiB) Viewed 76 times
5.jpg
5.jpg (294.42 KiB) Viewed 76 times
-
8.jpg
8.jpg (305.05 KiB) Viewed 76 times
I had to die grind the top of the ignition bolts in the car to get it them out, took 5 minutes. I got one bolt out, the other I drilled and tapped.
-
7.jpg
7.jpg (279.08 KiB) Viewed 76 times
-
I slammed in these modules, and she fired right up.

Conclusion: If you get the BRAKE FAIL message, just cut to the chase. Find a low km donor car for $800 and swap away. I wish I'd done this months ago. Thanks for the insight during the process, Cheers