IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Magneti Marelli ETM working correctly??

Do you have a failing Electronic Throttle Module? What steps to take if you do, plus the latest ETM news. Volvo 1999-2002 models only please.
vmaxmike
Year and Model: 06 S60R, 07 XC90 3.2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
United States of America
vmaxmike

Magneti Marelli ETM working correctly??

Post by vmaxmike » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:54 pm

Hi,
I recently acquired a 2002 s60 N/A with 122k and a blown head gasket on it that had the ETM already replaced recently with a new yellow label Marelli unit part # 8644344. After the head job, the car now has no misfires but a rough high idle and lack of low end power and check engine light giving fault code P0507 (Idle Air Control system RPM higher than expected). My questions please...Does this code indicate the ETM was not programmed to the car? Would the car even run at all if it was not programmed? Just trying to figure out how to determine if its an ETM issue or something else! Car runs smooth above 2k otherwise and normal power kicks in after about 2500 RPM. Thanks for any advise please.

precopster
Year and Model: Lots
Australia
precopster

Re: Magneti Marelli ETM working correctly??

Post by precopster » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:51 am

The car would still run on an unprogrammed ETM however the 8644344 number is specific to non turbo P2 engines which have 2 different firmware levels available to them.

It's very unlikely you would have a idle air code if the problem is the ETM. Usually you would get a configuration code and throttle position codes if programming is incorrect.

Have you looked at the XeModex website for the ETM diagnosis flow diagram?

Current cars:2002 XC70, 2006 Ssangyong Rodius (Stavic), 2006 XC90 2.5T, VW Transporter 2.5TDI

www.precisioncarmodules.com.

vmaxmike
United States of America
vmaxmike

Post by vmaxmike » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:34 am

No I had not checked but looking now and I do not see a ETM diagnosis flow diagram section there but i assume then you are saying that my unit is a XeModex? I'll call them for answers to that. I'm a little clueless as to where to go from here now on the drive ability issues I mentioned since I removed and resurfaced head and replaced gasket, lapped valves, cleaned oil trap, did compression test and now all cylinders look good with even readings, triple checked timing marks, plugs coils good etc. I'm also seeing codes P2177 (too lean off idle bank 1) and 031/037 heater control circuit low bank1 sensor 1 & sensor 2 so maybe I have to replace some o2 sensors? Don't see any vacuum leaks...Thanks

vmaxmike
United States of America
vmaxmike

Post by vmaxmike » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:44 am

Found the diagnostic flow section by the way which leads me to a possible MAF issue although i don't think the fault codes generated are MAF related? I'll hook up the scanner to see what MAF value it gives during monitoring. Called the dealer and they said any new ETM installed would require a software download but again I cant say whether that was done or not on this car. The Xemodex unit claims to be plug and play but not sure on the Marelli unit I have!?

precopster
Australia
precopster

Post by precopster » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:42 pm

Dealers have a standard answer regarding ETMs and that is to program each one to be sure. Did you fit the replacement ETM yourself? Was it idling and driving ok prior to the head gasket failure? Could you ask the previous owner what he/she did?

XeModex provide rebuilt Magnetti Marelli units so the purpose of steering you to their website is for information purposes.

A standard check for correct programming is:

1) turn on ignition switch to PosII
2) listen for the whine/noise of ETM
3) noise should cancel with a click in around 8 secs

Current cars:2002 XC70, 2006 Ssangyong Rodius (Stavic), 2006 XC90 2.5T, VW Transporter 2.5TDI

vmaxmike
United States of America
vmaxmike

Post by vmaxmike » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:42 pm

The whine noise lasts much longer...approximately 1 minute each time after turning off key before it cancels off with a click. I was going to inquire about that because it does not seem normal. New ETM was
already installed on car when I got it. Car had misfires before head gasket job so hard to say if current condition was present then. A new coil and cleaned injector solved the misfire. I can say car started right up first time I heard it before towing it home. It was not drivable due to bad radiator. Since the head job, it starts hard. Must crank 5/6 seconds before it fires up.

precopster
Australia
precopster

Post by precopster » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:25 am

The ETM noise should cancel even if the ignition is left on (with engine off and no cranking) and within 8 secs.

Not sure how long it should take to turn off with ignition off; this is variable.

John65
Year and Model: V70 2002, 2005 XC70
United States of America
John65

Post by John65 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:36 pm

vmaxmike wrote:
Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:54 pm
Hi,
I recently acquired a 2002 s60 N/A with 122k and a blown head gasket on it that had the ETM already replaced recently with a new yellow label Marelli unit part # 8644344. After the head job, the car now has no misfires but a rough high idle and lack of low end power and check engine light giving fault code P0507 (Idle Air Control system RPM higher than expected). My questions please...Does this code indicate the ETM was not programmed to the car? Would the car even run at all if it was not programmed? Just trying to figure out how to determine if its an ETM issue or something else! Car runs smooth above 2k otherwise and normal power kicks in after about 2500 RPM. Thanks for any advise please.
VMaxmike,
I have same problem but my Marelli is part 8644345. Got same fault code P0507. The idle does surge but after a few starts has sort of settled down at about 1100. Did yours turn out to me the MAF? Mine Revs up fine but idle really sucks?