IPD sale Volvo Parts
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Signs of a failing ETM and its relation to the MAF sensor

Do you have a failing Electronic Throttle Module? What steps to take if you do, plus the latest ETM news. Volvo 1999-2002 models only please.
JenniBarbs
Year and Model: S40 1985
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Great Britain
JenniBarbs

Re: Signs of a failing ETM and its relation to the MAF sensor

Post by JenniBarbs » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:47 pm

Help...I'm at my wits end!
I think I have ETM failure. All the symptoms are there as described above. My car went to the garage after multiple issues with loss of power, some hunting at ideal and hesitation. The garage couldn't find anything on the diagnostics so they gave me a new EGR valve and sent me on my way after I'd been recovered by the RAC following limp mode activation. 3 weeks later the same issue arose so I went to Volvo. The senior technician had the car a week, couldn't find anything on diagnostics. I forwarded the details from this forum and said this is exactly what's happening to me and I was told nothing comes up and no symptoms to indicate this is the problem. They couldn't get it to fault. £700 later they have replaced the week bearings, replaced front brake pads and discs and given me 3 new tires. (8th Sept 16)
I had my MOT last week, new back brakes, pads etc (£300) and on Wednesday I got a brake failure warning and my car went into limp mode. I was recovered back to the garage who checked all my brakes and couldn't find any problems nor any problem on diagnostics. £70 lighter I left the garage this morning. Following an 80 mile round trip today I have again gone into limp mode with brake failure error on dash and had to be recovered by the RAC.
The mechanic has blanked off the EGR valve so see if that helps as he cleared the faults and followed me home.

I have no confidence in my car and don't know where to take it to get the problem fixed! I'm a single female working as a sales rep so need my car safe and working but don't know anything about cars. I feel like I'm being taken for a mug everywhere I go!
I don't know what to do if I can't even get VOLVO to look at the ETM.

abscate
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: 99T5 ,99S70,2005V70
Trinidad & Tobago
abscate

Post by abscate » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:18 am

Jenni ..I'm going to move this into the P80 forum but I'm not sure what car and model you have?

ETM failures aren't hard to diagnose, they aren't cheap to fix but we should be able to figure this out.

1 SWMBO for 30 years
2 Volvos
3 VWs
4 Careers
5 cats/dogs/gears
6 Perfect Ladies in waiting
7 Drivers
8 Boats- with a big pointy metal thing on top

1999 V70 T5M 56 2005 V70 NA M56 VWs BMW

sak54757
Year and Model: 2001 v70xc
Has thanked: 0
United States of America
sak54757

Post by sak54757 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:26 am

My 2001 v70xc is turbo charged and suffers from what your article describes as advanced stages of etm/maf failure. There are no codes (that i know of), we recently bought this car and a recent road trip had us intermittently lurching and knocking off the cruise control until we stopped/restarted the car. There is 160K on the car. I'm off to see if i can find someone to read any hidden codes before spending the $400 to have the place in Ontario rebuild it...
Any input would be greatly appreciated!
These users thanked the author sak54757 for the post:
matthew1