IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Signs of a failing ETM and its relation to the MAF sensor

Do you have a failing Electronic Throttle Module? What steps to take if you do, plus the latest ETM news. Volvo 1999-2002 models only please.
jjsull
Year and Model: 2000 V70 XC
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
jjsull

Re: SIGNS OF A FAILING ETM AND ITS RELATION TO THE MAF SENSO

Post by jjsull » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:42 pm

Take it to a Volvo Dealer or shop with the proper diagnostic tools request an "ETM Potentiometer Sweep Test." It should take less than a half hour. This is the test that Chris from XeModex recommends to eliminate chasing the problem. Don't give the service writer the list of symptoms, just ask for the test. If you give the list of symptoms they will run up quite a bit of diagnostic time.

If it fails the sweep test they will give you a service quote. Then check out the XeModeX repaired units.

Good luck,

Jerry

Thoth
Year and Model: 2000 XC70
Thoth

Post by Thoth » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:07 am

Just replaced my ETM (2000 XC70) with one from XeModex. Whole job took about 1.5 hours in my backyard and now the car drives perfectly. It probably could have taken half the time if I had put the car on ramps (sore back). Total cost $600Cdn (just for the part) would have been $1200+ at Volvo and would have ended up with an ETM that would have failed again anyway.

Great description in the initial post, Thank You.

cknapp58
Year and Model: 1999 S70
cknapp58

Post by cknapp58 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:59 pm

Hi Guys,
I haven't taken the car for the sweep test yet the ETS lamp went out, the car seems to be driving OK, Although my wife can't tell when something is going wrong only when something get real bad. I have a few questions.
1. Right around the time the ETS lamp came on she called me to say all the elect windows got stuck, Later she said that that actually she lost all accessory power. She either turned it off or put it in park,(no clear) she heard a wine like nose and everything came back on. It has been ok for a few days now. I am am crossing my fingers!
2. When I took it to the dealer to be checked out the tech said the an air hose to the turbo had a leak and he could hear it. I also think the turbo has an odd sound when it is working. their service manager who by the way was very good. (Power Volvo) said that if not replace the engine will run rich and then kick on a lamp. I order what should have been the part since it was the only on his list pertaining to the turbo. I receives a 4.5 inch long hose x about 5/8 which looks more like a water line. I was expecting to see the large inlet hose. I should have asked him to point it out, I thought I already took too much of his time.
3. How much of a job am I looking at to: A) clean the throttle body, b)if I can clean the MAF, C) repair oil leak at oil trap.
4. where can I get a real repair manual, I was a mechanic for years and was used to using the 3 inch thick shop manuals. Are any of these on line ones any good. I would like something better than what's at the auto parts store.

cknapp58
cknapp58

Post by cknapp58 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:06 pm

Guys,
It's been a about a mounth now. The 99 S70 has been running good since that one time I had prolems at about 70 MPH 3 weeks ago. Then the other day I drove about 60 miles out and then on the way back I fellt the quick power shut down again when I took my foot off the gas at about 70 MPH, It happened a couple more times and then went into limp mode the ETs lamp came on. I was able to get off the freeway, pull over shut it off and restart. The car drove home fine and the ETS lmp went out after a while. I am now concerned my wife is driving it to work every day. I have told her to stay over to the right until I figure it out.
My questions
1. Does this sound like the throtle body or Map sensor?
2. Can I clean the throtle body, will it help?
3. How is this going to progress?
4. when it starts to happen, can I do any thing to keep it from progressing into limp?
5. Sounds like the Map and throtle body give the same simtoms, do I replace map first since I have been reading that it wil fail shortly after the throtle body.

Nuf Coupe
Year and Model: S 80 1999
Nuf Coupe

Re: Signs of a failing ETM and its relation to the MAF senso

Post by Nuf Coupe » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:56 am

Greetings,

My 1st post here. I'm from South Africa and have a S80 2.9 1999. A year ago the 'sweep' test failed and I was told to replace the ETM however, I continued to use the vehicle because I did not have symptoms of lack of power, hesitation or uneven idle. The engine managment light was the only indication that there was a problem. The vehicle ran normal although the Engine Management Light stayed on...for a year. Then suddenly last month, the car failed to rev over 2000rpms and I could not drive it. I stripped out the ETm with the hope that cleaning may help but alas, that made it worse. Now the idle is uneven and it still does not rev over 2000rpms. I am 200km away from the nearest dealer so a proper diagnostic is not possible.

I replaced the ETM with a brand new one yesterday and I still have the same problem. The vehicle does not rev up and the idle is rough. I had the car battery removed for several days with the hope that the ECU would reset the fault codes.

So my questions are?

1) Are the symptoms observed on my car that of a failed ETM or MAF?
2) How does one test a MAF?
3) After the installation of a new ETM, I believe that software has to be downloaded, but with that cure the problem? I mean, I thought that after the install of the new etm the vehicle would at least run.

Please help, because, my next move is to have the vehicle towed to the dealer at a very high cost and his diagnosis may not be that of the etm and I would need to be sitting down when I see his bill.

Please advise.

Regards

plantaris99
Year and Model: V70XC 2001
plantaris99

Post by plantaris99 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:44 am

My 01 cross country is starting to show signs, especcially the aweful idling, and jumping as I come to a stop. My local Dealer says they cant help me unless it fails the sweep test, but I can afford to pay them to keep checking it out. Is there anyway to convice them to change the ETM? So far, driving on the highway is ok, but I have 3 little ones and dont want to wait until something worse happens. I have until June of 2011 before the 10 years are up

cknapp58
cknapp58

Post by cknapp58 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:36 pm

New owner needs help,
well it’s been a while since my last post. My s70 Turbo is sitting in the driveway torn apart. I had been nursing the ETM , oil leak from the trap and other issues. Luckily the starter went out which has made me address everything. I found out my wife had been shutting the engine off at 70MPH and restarting it to get out of limp mode on the way to work at 4:30 AM.
I also should change the timing belt while I am here.
questions I have.
1.When I pulled the injectors, I saw rubber o rings with fanalic washers behind the o ring, of corse some of these washers were disintegrated. One cylinder was at the intake stroke so I don’t know if the pieces around in the cylinder or if they were already gone. I tried vacuum first then air with vacuum. (this is such an idiotic design , these should have been copper. The new injector kits have two washers per injector. Does anyone have any insight on this??

2. Can anyone tell me how these rebuilt ETMs non contact are holding up? And do I need to replace the MAP air sensor ?

3.Am I nuts if I do not change the timing belt since I do not know how old it is?

bucs0721
Year and Model: C70 2000
bucs0721

Post by bucs0721 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:23 pm

Well it's official. My 2000 C70 Convertible with 67,000 miles has a failed ETM.

I've owned this car since 2003. Over the past 2 years, I've had it in & out of the dealer due to the symptoms associated with the ETM failure. So now I'm looking at $1400 from the dealer. From the research I've done, it looks like I have zero chance of getting any money back from Volvo to pay for this.

Never, ever will I buy another Volvo. Ever.

volvoguyuk
Year and Model: s80 2000
volvoguyuk

Post by volvoguyuk » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:52 pm

Hi everyone and thank you for the in-depth information posted in this thread. I seem to be having similar issues with my X-reg S80 2.4 with 173,333 miles on the clock. Over the past weekend it kicked out a message "Engine System Service Required" and started running very rough along with check engine light on. The idle rpm's have gone up to 1100 and fluctuate quite a bit with driving ability automatically limited to 10-20mph and near stalling situation when braking (presuming engine power loss-hence loss of vacuum pressure?)
Could this be majorly something else, as i have let the car drive until very little petrol in the tank- it happened then and once i refilled the problem went away temporarily, returning next morning.
Any thoughts before i start demanding my rights with Volvo would be greatly appreciated!
Maxim.

jruberto
Year and Model: 2001 V70 T5
jruberto

Post by jruberto » Tue May 24, 2011 4:09 pm

Just a quick followup / crosspost of some great information from another thread.
BobbyC wrote:AutoPartsDeal.com sells new MAF assemblies for $31.14 (REPV316708) which, if you cross reference that part, cross references to the proper Bosch part number. Just Google that part number, and you will see the same MAF is used on several Volvo models and engines, in fact.
Yep, that's right, a new mass airflow sensor for 31 bucks. (Dealer quoted me $650 to install a new one, most retail places have them for about $330)

Many of the symptoms of a failing ETM are quite similar to the symptoms of a failing MAF sensor. To answer an earlier post on "how do I test my MAF sensor?". I don't think you test it at all. You put a new one on & see if it changes anything (most shops keep a known good MAF lying around just for testing). I just spent months trying to get my dealer to replace my ETM on the eve of my warranty's expiration, and since they couldn't get it to fail their tests, they wouldn't. I was hopping mad, but the truth is, my ETM was not at fault at all. (I'm not saying it's not going to fail someday, it just seems to be okay now.)

In my case, I had no directly MAF related codes (if there even are any), somehow my dealer related my persistent P0171 long-term fuel trim code to a faulty MAF. I swapped mine out with a new one (wish I had known about this $31 part then, I paid $250 for a new one) but it really solved all of my many engine problems, including BAD stalling, TERRIBLE idle, "hunting", warm start problems, P0121, P0171, P1238 (yep it even "fixed" my failed turbo solenoid -- it was not failed, the whole engine was just getting lousy information from my MAF), weird & slow gas pedal response, terrible fuel economy. All fixed, engine is running like a top, turbo is pushing me back in my seat again, cruise control is no longer disabled, no codes at all, ROCK solid idle, all very good. I just got 26.5MPG on a long road trip (over mountain passes with a full load of heavy cargo both ways -- Denver to Moab and back ~800 miles)

I have learned that the MAF is central to the proper operation of your engine. I feel like it's one of the first things to suspect when there are idle/stalling/starting problems, and if you can get one for $31, there's no reason not to go there first. It's a 5 minute job to replace. If you did get a new ETM but still have these types of problems, definitely suspect your MAF.

If trying to get a dealer to honor the extended ETM warranty and there is any question about other failures, they will probably want to replace your MAF (for big $$$) just to rule it out. Nip that one in the bud.

2001 V70 T5