IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

Signs of a failing ETM and its relation to the MAF sensor

Do you have a failing Electronic Throttle Module? What steps to take if you do, plus the latest ETM news. Volvo 1999-2002 models only please.
Volvo101
Year and Model: 2001
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Volvo101

Re: Signs of a failing ETM and its relation to the MAF senso

Post by Volvo101 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:42 pm

I have that problem as well, my car will idle real nice but when I'm on the highway, it feels like the wind is pushing the car, also rpm will fluctuate at different speeds, I know for sure that its not my transmission because I just replaced my trans with a new one and that problem stayed with the car! finally my volvo threw a code yesterday and the ETS light came on. the code was P0127 which is throttle body internal failure. any idea if cleaning would fix it ? I canlled the dealer and they said that my throttle body was replaced in the past by the dealer and it was updated! should I buy a used one and have them program it ? thank you very much for this thread! its very helpfull

precopster
Year and Model: Lots
Australia
precopster

Post by precopster » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:54 am

To fully understand what is going on with your car it would be advised to have it read with Vida Dice or purchase one yourself for the same reason. Now that a code is stored on your ECM it may also contain MAF codes which can point you to a possible replacement. Most generic readers will miss some Volvo codes.

The symptoms you describe are typical of either MAF OR ETM failure, even with an ETS light.

If the PCV is blocked or partially blocked you will be getting lots of excess pressure entering the intake area which will affect MAF readings. MAF readings in excess of parmaters can cause ETS light.

Most mechanics today are doing this to attack ETS lights: rebuild PCV, replace MAF and replace or refurbish the ETM all at once. Doing less is not an option for mechanics wishing to keep customers from calling back again.

Current cars:2002 XC70, 2006 Ssangyong Rodius (Stavic), 2006 XC90 2.5T, VW Transporter 2.5TDI

www.precisioncarmodules.com.

sinican
Year and Model: 98 S70
sinican

Post by sinican » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:26 pm

Hi, I am new to the forum, and though this was posted several years ago, it has been extremely helpful. I have a 98' S70 5-cylinder. About a month ago the car began to stall at speed when I take the foot off the gas pedal, or at low speed. I began to experience "hunting at idle" symptoms at low speed.

At around the same time, I began experiencing the stutter issue when driving, where it feels like the car is hitting gust.

The shop replaced the cap, lubricated the idling motor, the ignition coil, and the crankshaft sensor (I am about $900 in now). They haven't been able to get any error code up to date.

Are the two problems--car losing power at speed, and the stuttering as if there is a gust--caused by the same failing parts--MAF and/or ETM, or are they caused by different parts? The car is a stick shift and has 144000 miles on it.

I read the subsequent discussions, and most of the cars mentioned are 99 or later, I am not sure if the OP's description of the problem applies to 98 S70.

Your advice is much appreciated.

Franklyn

precopster
Australia
precopster

Post by precopster » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:27 am

ETMs aren't fitted to 98 S70s unless they are very late models with 5 coils on plug and no distributor cap.

In your case a full spark discharge replacement including rotor button and leads as well as cap may be in order as well as new spark plugs.

Current cars:2002 XC70, 2006 Ssangyong Rodius (Stavic), 2006 XC90 2.5T, VW Transporter 2.5TDI

sinican
Year and Model: 98 S70
sinican

Post by sinican » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:32 am

Hi, Thanks for the speedy reply. Do you have a sense of how much "full spark discharge replacement including rotor button and leads as well as cap" and "new spark plugs" will cost? If my S70 is indeed a late model, then the ETM maybe a culprit. Is the high-speed idling/loss of power related to the stumbling/stuttering issue?

thanks,

precopster
Australia
precopster

Post by precopster » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:12 am

Hello again. I think it's pretty clear that your car has no ETM because firstly it has cap and leads. ETM cars are all coil on plug with no exceptions.

Check with site sponsors on the banners above for the cost of leads, rotor and new spark plugs. As a rule Bougicord leads and Bosch distributor parts. You may want to splurge on platinum or Iridium tipped spark plugs or go cheap; it's up to you.

Marcobrick
Year and Model: 2003 V70T5
New Zealand
Marcobrick

Post by Marcobrick » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:38 pm

I just went to a friend's house to look at his 2001 V70XC. He complained that it stalls when idling. I got one code off the computer, post cat fuel trim too rich. I suspect this is a result of the underlying problem, not the cause.
The car drives great, no surging, but occasionally at idle it stumbles real bad, sometimes it keeps running, other times it dies. It always seems to start straight up again.
Other things I noticed when looking at the live data, the O2 sensor readout doesn't cycle. It sits on about 0.2v idle and hovers around 0.6-0.7 driving. I don't think this is causing the idle issue either.
The first thought in my mind when he mentioned a problem was ETM. I am not experienced with this model, but am very comfortable with 850's and 1st gen 70's.
Has anyone out there had similar symptoms?

The Fleet:
2003 V70 T5
2014 Nissan Leaf
1973 Fiat 125
1970 MGB GT
Previously:
1996 850R sedan
1994 850T5 Sedan
1995 850 Turbo Wagon
1998 V70T5

Favourite line: "How hard can it be?"

drpauldc
Year and Model: 2002
drpauldc

Post by drpauldc » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:34 am

thanks for all the info I just ordered a new throttle body online, but I am now upset to think I have to take vehicle to Volvo dealer to upload software and get it to work. there has to be another way !
Is there no way around taking to a dealership, not only expensive but 100 miles away ?

Please let me know if I am on the right repair path.
I purchased a non running 2002 Volvo s60 T5 very inexpensively 136,000 miles all original
Added new plugs, battery, air/oil/fuel filters, new oil, new fuel
Cleaned throttle body, two sensors on the air tube to the throttle body, cleaned injectors.

Vehicle is very hard to start, will not idle simply stalls, but sounds great at 2000 to 3000 rpms with increased pedal pressure. RPM was all over the place but settled down after throttle cleaning.

throttle body needs replacing ?
MAP sensor needs replacing ?
start somewhere else ?

precopster
Australia
precopster

Post by precopster » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:56 am

Did you order a 36050563 throttle body? If you did you will be receiving a rebuilt throttle. There have been many that have been sold with programming to suit a turbo. This may have been accidental.

Volvo now has officially run out of new 36001822 throttles (the replacement number for 8644347 and 8644346 as well as 9186793)

If you ordered from Tasca you won't know what they'll provide until it arrives.
I don't know if I would invest $500 plus in another throttle without reading codes from the engine computer. I just buy used ones from pick and pulls and program them with programmer doublebug's help (MVS member). The symptoms you describe can be a number of things. Do you have a check engine light illuminated?

musicvid
Year and Model: 1999 S70
musicvid

Post by musicvid » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:07 pm

The descriptions of ETM early failure match my '99 S70 perfectly, with a slight twist.

Tracs Off light intermittent, some days more than others, occasional ETM light that sometimes goes off by itself, and limp mode every time I get the light.

The twist is it rarely happens on cold mornings, most often above 75 F., and only when I depress the brake pedal. If I am really light on the brakes and let it coast to a stop, I can drive a long ways before it gives a warning light.

Am I in the stages of ETM failure, or is there something else I should be looking at? There is no ABS light (except when I disconnected the module and pump), and MAF reading at idle is normal.

Thanks, Mark