IPD sale Volvo Parts Volvo Parts guaranteed for life Volvo Parts

What this ETM forum is about...

Do you have a failing Electronic Throttle Module? What steps to take if you do, plus the latest ETM news. Volvo 1999-2002 models only please.
matthew1
Site Admin
Year and Model: 850 T5, 1997
United States of America

What this ETM forum is about...

Post by matthew1 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:24 pm

Volvo today announced they'd be taking responsibility for failing and failed electronic throttle modules in 1999-2002 cars.

It's probably in no small part because of the efforts of Coloradoan Don Willson and his website -- http://www.vexedvolvo.org/

Because Don was so involved in the Volvo world with his "4 Rs" recall campaign, I asked him to moderate a forum here at MVS dedicated to this important Volvo safety issue. If you have questions or concerns about your Volvo and its ETM, this is the place for you.
Automaker Volvo will extend the warranty on defective throttle mechanisms in about 356,000 cars in the U.S. and Canada under an agreement reached with California air quality regulators, officials said Tuesday.

The deal will expand warranty coverage to 10 years or 200,000 miles on the electronic throttle module of certain 1999-2002 model year cars that have been prone to stalling and costly repairs. Under California law, such emissions-related components are normally covered for seven years or 70,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Under the agreement with the California Air Resources Board, Volvo also has pledged to reimburse owners who have paid to clean the module or spent as much as $1,000 to replace it.
http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cct ... 175012.htm

1999-2002 C70 coupe and convertible models;
1999-2000 S70, V70 and V70SX models;
2000-2001 V70, V70XC and S60 models with turbocharged engines;
1999-2001 S80 models;
2000-2002 V70 and S60 models with non-turbocharged engines
Last edited by matthew1 on Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Please buy from MVS sponsors. It keeps this site on the web.
Like this spam-free, organized forum? Thank a moderator.
Thanks for choosing MVS!
How to help MVS.

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace
2004 V70 R [gone]

Bud

VEXED Successes

Post by Bud » Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:13 am

Three cheers for Don and the VEXED gang for bringing attention to this issue, and keeping it in the faces of Volvo and those who would rather not deal with it.

Perhaps this is a limited success, as a Recall has not been initiated (and the problem will reoccur), but at least Volvo and the World knows that can not cover up such a debacle and silence concerned customers.

I hope other affected countries, and customers, will find traction on this issue because of the initial victory here.

Silence would NOT have gotten us this far.

lewismug

the official word

Post by lewismug » Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:57 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I called Volvo Customer Care this morning to ask about the extended warranty and am STILL GETTING THE RUN-AROUND!!! So, I sent Mr. Shapiro an e-mail. Needless to say, I did get a response from the e-mail I sent. The warranty is, WITHOUT A DOUBT 10/200,000. The letters will start going out to owners in the next few weeks. You need to call Volvo Customer care to be sure they have you as the owner of your car so you will get the letter when it is sent. I will not post his reply on here, because I told him I would not in my e-mail. This is not heresay, this is FACT. I READ IT WITH MY OWN EYES, AND IT WAS DIRECTLY FROM MR. SHAPIRO TO ME. Here is a copy of the e-mail I sent to Mr. Shapiro this morning:

Mr Shapiro,
My name is William XXXXXX, and I own a 1999 Volvo S70 V.I.N. YV1LS55A9X26XXXXX with a faulty throttle body. I called Volvo Customer Care this morning after seeing this page: http://www.vexedvolvo.org/ . I was told by the gentleman I spoke with that as of now, there is NO EXTENDED WARRANTY in the works for my vehicle. He then told me that if there were an extended warranty, that it would be for 10 yrs. or 200,000 miles, but it was months away if it were even being tossed around. I would like to know from you, Mr. Shapiro. Is there actually an extended warranty in the works for my vehicle, or is the document found at the above website a fake? Is the news lying to us also? If it is in the works, and things are as the document says they are, then why would your customer care representative tell me different? I have also heard rumors that the extended warranty will be for 10 yrs. or 100,000 miles. I assure you that is that is the case, there will be no let up on calls and complaints to Volvo, as most of the vehicles affected by this are quckliy approaching, or are already over the 100,000 mile mark. I will not post your response to any website, newsgroup, or message board. I would like to know for my own person. I am a father of two, and a husband trying to keep food on the table. I have e-mailed Volvo Customer Care numerous times about the ETM, but they have simply ignored my questions and concerns on this matter. I sincerely hope this finds you in good health, and I patiently await your response.

-William XXXXXX

My thanks goes out to Don Willson for all of your hard work on this matter. If it had not been for you bringing this to everyones attention, along with those crazies out in California, they might have been able to let this problem slide right out of the front door.

Re: Volvo Assumes Responsibility, and Congrats to Don

Post by Guest » Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:09 am

matthew1 wrote: http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-v ... 7025.story

1999-2002 C70 coupe and convertible models;
1999-2000 S70, V70 and V70SX models;
2000-2001 V70, V70XC and S60 models with turbocharged engines;
1999-2001 S80 models;
2000-2002 V70 and S60 models with non-turbocharged engines
I'm a newbie and expectant 2nd hand Volvo owner, and I note that the above list specifically excludes a 1999 V70XC. Can somone tell me if the engine management system on this car uses a different ETM or throttle position sensor than the Magneti Marelli unit that is causing the problems? FYI VIN is YVILZ56D9X2622499

Thanks,

Ron

Re: Volvo Assumes Responsibility, and Congrats to Don

Post by Guest » Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:49 am

Anonymous wrote: I note that the above list specifically excludes a 1999 V70XC.
Sorry, just found on vexedvolvo.org under "VEXED won" that my car IS included...the newspaper articles were apparently incorrect.

Thanks DON!

Ron

Post by Guest » Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:10 am

The link to the image below should speak for itself. It was scanned by me on my computer and was given to me by my dealer this morning. (look at the date), along with the description of services done to my car.....notice what it says for the price.....and my mileage. The 10/200,000 is now a reality for me! I guess my little e-mail to Mr. Shapiro did have it's good side! To make a long story short, after the e-mail I recieved yesterday and the phone call I made, all I had to do this morning, was drive my car to the dealer at 8:00 a.m. and they took care of everything. I have no friends in Volvo, or at the dealer. I do not have an insider. This is a direct result of all of the hard work done by the members of this board, namely, DON WILLSON. I still have no letter though! Go Figure! I figured everyone should see this and would want to see this. Maybe it will put any and all rumors to rest. My car drives like a dream once again, however, the new ETM is identical to the old one.

MadeInJapan
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: '98 S70 T5 '07S40T5
United States of America

People over on brickboard are getting official letters now

Post by MadeInJapan » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:09 pm

As the title states...official letters are now going out to Volvo owners that 10 years, 200K miles extention on the ETM warranty and how to get service.

'98 S70 T5 Emrld Grn Met/Beige Tons of Upgrades Mobil-1
'04 V70 2.5T Red/Taupe Some Upgrades Mobil-1
'07 S40 T5 AWD 6 speed manual! Silver/Black Stage1 Heico & Elevate
'07 S60 2.5T Blue/Taupe- my kid's Volvo

DonWillson
Year and Model: 2000 V70XC

What did Shapiro say?

Post by DonWillson » Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:00 pm

Anonymous wrote:I guess my little e-mail to Mr. Shapiro did have it's good side! To make a long story short, after the e-mail I recieved yesterday and the phone call I made, all I had to do this morning, was drive my car to the dealer at 8:00 a.m. and they took care of everything.
Thanks for the copy of your service order. What did you say to Shapiro and What did he respond. It would be a help to all.

Don Willson
or send them to me at [email protected]

Announcing my affiliation with XeMODeX, Inc. as Internet correspondent and consultant to Volvophiles needing help with failing ETMs. See http://FixYourETM.com. For the full history of this problem see http://VEXEDvolvo.org

NHTSA is following up

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:46 pm

Folks,
Received a phone call today from NHTSA today in response to my complaint regarding the ETM failure in my 2001 V70 T5. Spoke to a NHTSA lawyer and a research engineer.
Bottom line: NHTSA is continuing to investigate this issue. They are following up on complaints and need additional data. They are especially interested in incidents that included ETM failures where the car stalled out completely (limp home mode failing to maintain the car in a driveable state). This happened to me; my car required towing. They need more owners to file complaints.

Please, if you have not done so already. Please go to the NHTSA web site, or if you cannot navigate the on-line form, give them a phone call. (Info is below). I would heartily encourage all Volvo owners who have had an ETM failure to report it to them. It is really a civic duty and, as a Volvo enthusiast, and in the end it is good for the Volvo company and their product line for owners to hold them to a certain standard.

In fact, we could all fare better than the current offer on the table. That is, better than reimbursement and a 10 year 200K warranty. In addition to this, Volvo owners deserve a full-blown recall and a complete re-engineering of the part to prevent future failures.

I for one have owned my car five years already, so 1/2 of the extended warranty is already gone before it is even offered.

Here is the NHTSA web site to complete an on-line complaint form: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Here is their phone number: Call the DOT Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236) and a NHTSA representative will record your complaint information

THANKS TO DON WILSON FOR HIS HERCULEAN EFFORTS. LETS BACK DON UP BY ALL FILING WITH NHTSA!!

Re: What did Shapiro say?

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:01 am

DonWillson wrote:
Anonymous wrote:I guess my little e-mail to Mr. Shapiro did have it's good side! To make a long story short, after the e-mail I recieved yesterday and the phone call I made, all I had to do this morning, was drive my car to the dealer at 8:00 a.m. and they took care of everything.
Thanks for the copy of your service order. What did you say to Shapiro and What did he respond. It would be a help to all.

Don Willson
or send them to me at [email protected]
Don. I sent Mr. Shapiro an e-mail which is above in one of my earlier posts. He replied back to me stating that the Customer Care problems had been resolved, and that I would no longer get the run-around. He then had his assistant call my local dealer and set up a service appointment. He assured me that if I had anymore problems, to contact him. He also assured me that my car would be fixed with or without a letter for free under the new warranty. You can read the e-mail I sent to Mr. Shapiro and see for yourself what it contained. I am now looking for a replacement vehicle for my S70. I will not dare go through this ordeal again. I will sell the vehicle and get a Ford or Chevrolet. ---Lewismug

Return to “The ETM Room”