IPD sale Volvo Parts

What this ETM forum is about...

Do you have a failing Electronic Throttle Module? What steps to take if you do, plus the latest ETM news. Volvo 1999-2002 models only please.
Bud

Post by Bud » Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:19 am

Yup, I traded mine for a more reputable company and a safer vehicle.

Considering that Volvo knew about this in '98 BEFORE they ever shipped one, and considering the deceipt, denial and coverup that followed, why would any customer tolerate such nonsense?

otek

Another Etm failure

Post by otek » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:18 pm

Let me add my 01' XC to the lis to ETM failures. Both from the component side and Volvo's refusal to replace the failing part before sending me out with a mere cleaning. The car ran a half mile before filing again. This time on a bridge and nearly causing a multi-car accident. When back at the dealer, the service manager stated that he expected to see me back but his hands were tied by volvo.
What is the proceedure to report this to NHSTA?

MadeInJapan
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: '98 S70 T5 '07S40T5
United States of America

Post by MadeInJapan » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:17 pm

Your answers are in this same thread...just read up in a few posts up where Don gives the website and other information. The dealer shouldn't be refusing this replacement now. Did you ever get it fixed? If so, you should be reimbersed by Volvo too.

'98 S70 T5 Emrld Grn Met/Beige Tons of Upgrades Mobil-1
'04 V70 2.5T Red/Taupe Some Upgrades Mobil-1
'07 S40 T5 AWD 6 speed manual! Silver/Black Stage1 Heico & Elevate
'07 S60 2.5T Blue/Taupe- my kid's Volvo

cleerssen

ETM replaced--minor sucess story

Post by cleerssen » Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:23 pm

Believe it or not--I have a success story to provide. I was pretty upset with Volvo of North America just 48 hours ago, but they proved themselves a stand-up company to me in this instance. I'll explain for everyone's benefit:::

Morning of 26dec, my family and I (wife, daughter 16 months & myself) load up our 2001 V70 T5. I warm it up like normal and head of toward the Atlanta airport for of a week of skiing in Utah. Before we get near the interstate ramp the car starts sputtering and acting super weird, dying and revving really erratic. Dash lights dim and "reduced performance" message comes on with check engine triangle. We looked at each other like what the heck--the car has run perfect since we got it about 2 years ago. In a quick decision with car in limp mode (~12mph) we made it to a MARTA station and took transit to the airport--but not before being a bit freaked out.

Once back home I explained the symptoms to our dealership who agreed with me it sounds like the ETM--come on in they said that is covered under a recent extended warranty. Holy cow, what good news--i thought (as we were expecting to pay for something).

Well the next day they tell me no, its not the ETM--it is fine--your PCV and flame trap are all clogged--that is the problem. They are measureing a -.1kpa. Then later they tell me they measure a +.2kpa! We have to clean that first ($562) and then we're allowed to replace your ETM--besides no codes were found...none. (But had the ETM failed--we'd clean the PCV as part of the operation). I say that is ludicrious--i run synthetic through there every 6k-7k miles and it was just checked 14k ago. I came in with two urgent messages and a check engine light and VADIS told you nothing?? This dealership is known for excellent service allround--so I was stumped. They basically told me (i'm paraphrasing) they were hamstrung by the Volvo North America's policy, i.e. "no code: no new ETM". They told me it has to fail or codes appear before a replacement was allowed. I told them BS: that I wanted my ETM replaced because I believed that the ETM failing coupled with the car running so poorly could have produced some of the residue they claimed was the issue. I wasn't about to give them 560 bucks to have the ETM fail a mile from the shop. They said they'd call Volvo HQ and also try to get the VADIS codes to repeat during a test drive.

I immediately took it upon myself to fill out the NHTSA complaint and attach that to a very long and demanding letter to VOLVO of North America Customer Service copying my local service department. Yesterday they REPLACED MY ETM, cleaned the PCV, loaded the new software, and washed my car. Without any codes ever showing up or a totally failed ETM. End of story I hope.

My hat is off to Dyer & Dyer Chamblee, with a slight nod to VOLVO of North America--but it shouldn't be so difficult to get a failing part replaced. ISSUE A RECALL!

MadeInJapan
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: '98 S70 T5 '07S40T5
United States of America

Re: ETM replaced--minor sucess story

Post by MadeInJapan » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:42 pm

cleerssen wrote: ISSUE A RECALL!
...AND a REBUILD!

Glad you took action and got some action!

'98 S70 T5 Emrld Grn Met/Beige Tons of Upgrades Mobil-1
'04 V70 2.5T Red/Taupe Some Upgrades Mobil-1
'07 S40 T5 AWD 6 speed manual! Silver/Black Stage1 Heico & Elevate
'07 S60 2.5T Blue/Taupe- my kid's Volvo

Sounds familiar... 10+ years later

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:26 pm

Gee, this sounds so familiar... just in a very different decade! Had a hunt and peck idle/stall issue with an 89 244 for five years after a cold start. Took the car to the dealer countless time, response was "could not duplicate", or "cleaned dirty throttle body". Each time after service, the problem never went away!

I finally hit the ALLDATA website (this is NOT and advertisement), and found that there was a seven year old software upgrade/TSB to resolve the problem. Went to the dealer, ordered the EPROM upgrade, installed it, and never had the problem again.

Once I resolved the issue, I hit the dealer up with the correction and three bills worth of worthless work. They could not/would not explain why no one had looked at the 89 TSBs! I have done all service work by myself ever since.

jorrell
Extreme, but true

CALVIN
Year and Model:
ETM UPDATE SINCE DEC. 2005???

Post by CALVIN » Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:31 pm

I have a 2000 S-80 which received a new ETM and something else back in March 2005 from a Certified Volvo Dealer in Bellevue, WA. I was interested if anybody had an update on getting Volvo to reimburse us on these ETM's that the Certified Dealer told me was bad.

Bud
Year and Model:

Re: ETM UPDATE SINCE DEC. 2005???

Post by Bud » Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:30 am

CALVIN wrote: I was interested if anybody had an update on getting Volvo to reimburse us on these ETM's that the Certified Dealer told me was bad.
Just a suggestion .... try reading the posts from the 4 most recent threads, especially DonW's.

JBRollo
Year and Model: 2000 Volvo S70 SE
United States of America

Redesign is Required

Post by JBRollo » Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:24 pm

An extended warranty is fine but continued use of mechanical feelers to sense throttle position is design-stupid if a non mechanical device is available. This is a true safety issue and Volvo owners should hold out for a redesign. Hopefully all current failures have failed as an open circuit and not as a short circuit (ie. throttle runaway!). (I do think an open circuit would be most likely in the case of mechanical feelers)

Now, who is going to take them on for warranty coverage for the infamous transmission flare problem on the 5 speed automatic? My 2002 S70 has it with only 50,000 miles. Thats is an obvious latent defect of design too if the transmission has to be rebuilt/replaced.

BEWARE OF SOFTWARE WORKAROUNDS FOR FLAWED MECHANICAL DESIGNS!

bubble
Year and Model:
Re: ETM UPDATE SINCE DEC. 2005???

Post by bubble » Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:21 pm

CALVIN wrote:I have a 2000 S-80 which received a new ETM and something else back in March 2005 from a Certified Volvo Dealer in Bellevue, WA. I was interested if anybody had an update on getting Volvo to reimburse us on these ETM's that the Certified Dealer told me was bad.
My 2000 S70 had this problem and was fixed in Sept 2003. two weeks ago, I received the rebate check in an amount of $1097.91, which $13.52 short from the original service receipt. I called the Vovlo Customer hotline and learned that one of the service items, named ETM (Software) Upgrade, is not covered in this warranty. They refused to make a refund on this portion. Then, I spoked with the service manager on the phone and finally he agreed that this should be covered in the warranty, based on two of my arguments:

1. Can you fix the ETM problem without upgarding the software? IF yes, why did you have to upgarde it? If no, why is it not covered?
2. If it was not upgraded in 2003, it would be covered by the new Campaign 155 Volvo just offered. Why should I have to pay for this?

I called Volvo customer center again and faxed all the documents to them. They got back to me saying: "Warranty depat reviewed your documents and decided to refund you $12.75 for a GOOD WILL but not the tax part."

This answer really pissed me off. Be honset, it is only $13.52. I don't really care if I can get it back but just want to see how they were going to respond on this. It will be okay to me if they told me "This upgrade should be covered, but due to some xxx issue we cannot refund your money."

Volvo has lost its reputation with the whole ETM issue:
1. This ETM issue has safety concern but Volvo refused to make a total recall. I almost got hit by a trunk behind me when my ETM went dead and could not accelerate. Looks like Volvo wants to wait until someone gets killed.
2. Volvo refused to admit the mistake they made in this rebate with sofwtare upgarde. This item should be either covered by ETM Warranty or by Campaign 155.

Tonight, I am telling my wife that for our new SUV at the end of this year XC90 is out. (Even She always want XC90 for her next car.) I am going for either X-series or RX-330 now.

- Pissed Bubble