IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

What this ETM forum is about...

Do you have a failing Electronic Throttle Module? What steps to take if you do, plus the latest ETM news. Volvo 1999-2002 models only please.
Bud
Year and Model:
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Bud

Post by Bud » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:15 am

Hmmm? When I submitted my invoice and calculations for the rebate, I included the S/W upload ($30) and the tax on the ETM portion of my repair bill (I had an unrelated other minor repair done at the same time).

I was reimbursed for parts, labor, S/W and tax, EVERYTHING related to the ETM.

They just keep getting more and more deceiptful.

Volvo's "Legendary Safety" has become "Legendary Lip Service"

mrjaws
Year and Model:
mrjaws

Very Important - Class Settlement Action

Post by mrjaws » Sat May 19, 2007 9:51 am

There is a settlement that has been preliminarily approved by the court.

If you do not respond, you will lose all rights to exclude yourself and object to the settlement, which, among other things, releases Volvo from most claims of personal injury under the ETM. Most owners already benefit from the warranty extension to 10 years or 200,000 miles, so there's almost no incremental benefit in the settlement.

You can find the details under www.ETMsettlementdocuments.com

You must write to the 4 parties listed by June 27, 2007 to exclude yourself.

I'm filing an objection, in order to protect the rights of everyone (in essence, my civic duty), but have no idea what the kangaroo court will decide.

matthew1
Site Admin
Year and Model: 850 T5, 1997
United States of America
matthew1

Post by matthew1 » Sat May 19, 2007 2:12 pm

Thanks for the update, mrjaws.

This topic has never been anything but interesting to me.

Help keep MVS on the web -> click sponsors' links here on MVS when you buy from them.
Also -> Amazon link
. Click that when you go to buy something on Amazon and MVS gets a kickback.

1997 850 T5, MSD ignition coil, Hallman manual boost controller, injectors, R bumper, OMP strut brace [gone]
2004 V70 R [gone]

abullard
Year and Model:
abullard

ETM problem, 2000 S-70

Post by abullard » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:21 pm

I just found your sight and realize that I've experienced this same problem to the tune of over $1100 here in Chattanooga, TN. As per advice in this forum, I have filed a complaint with feds, filled out a request to Volvo of NA for a $1,146.68 refund for replacement of a control unit. It will be interesting to see what happens next.
As I read the material, they will only reimburse for the recall software adjustment, but I was not charged for that. I want the $1,146.68 that I spent to fix their mistake. Thanks for the advice and being here.

DonWillson
Year and Model: 2000 V70XC
DonWillson

Re: ETM problem, 2000 S-70

Post by DonWillson » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:13 pm

abullard wrote:I just found your sight and realize that I've experienced this same problem to the tune of over $1100 here in Chattanooga, TN. As per advice in this forum, I have filed a complaint with feds, filled out a request to Volvo of NA for a $1,146.68 refund for replacement of a control unit. It will be interesting to see what happens next.
As I read the material, they will only reimburse for the recall software adjustment, but I was not charged for that. I want the $1,146.68 that I spent to fix their mistake. Thanks for the advice and being here.
The warranty on the ETM is 10-years or 200,000-miles, which ever comes first, and is not limited to the original or any subsequent owner. So if you are under 200,000 miles and can show that the ETM was replaced based on On Board Diagnostic Codes indicating an ETM failure you should be covered. If it was at a Volvo dealer, they should have done the work under warranty. What does the service ticket show?

What is the current mileage and what were the codes?

Announcing my affiliation with XeMODeX, Inc. as Internet correspondent and consultant to Volvophiles needing help with failing ETMs. See http://FixYourETM.com. For the full history of this problem see http://VEXEDvolvo.org

mbdano
Year and Model: S80 1999
mbdano

Re: What this ETM forum is about...

Post by mbdano » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:30 am

I've been reading this forum with interest as my wife's S80 T6 recently began surging when idling and stalling when she's driving. I have cleaned the MAF sensor but it didn't help so now I'm thinking ETM. My concern with the extended warranty is the 10 year part... her car is a '99 and it's now '09. Is the date based on the date of manufacture, or just the model year?

I've contacted the Volvo dealer but haven't had it in yet, I just wanted to know what I'm likely to run into as I try to get this resolved. How is the settlement worded?

outlaw6bob
outlaw6bob

Post by outlaw6bob » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:41 am

Has to be date of manufacture. I took mine in a few months ago and they told me I was a 3 weeks late. I have a '99 S70. And this was after they told me over the phone I'd be fine. Like they thought that "since I was in" I'd be willing to drop $x,xxx for them to replace it with a new one.

Needless to say I took the module off myself and sent it away to xmodex or whatever the company is. I also got an abs module from them. Both are working great.

This car is definitely smooth for having 170,000 miles. God knows if it was a ford or chevy it would have fallen apart long ago. I've done all the repairs myself and saved big time. I dread having to inevitably rebuild the motor someday and am sure the dealership would want to charge more than the car is worth. I'm probably the most negative volvo owner on this forum but it has been one issue after another for me and I'm not even really into the car to begin with. First chance I get I'm sliding into an new Outback or a Tacoma Quad-cab.

DonWillson
Year and Model: 2000 V70XC
DonWillson

Post by DonWillson » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:20 am

mbdano wrote:I've been reading this forum with interest as my wife's S80 T6 recently began surging when idling and stalling when she's driving. I have cleaned the MAF sensor but it didn't help so now I'm thinking ETM. My concern with the extended warranty is the 10 year part... her car is a '99 and it's now '09. Is the date based on the date of manufacture, or just the model year?

I've contacted the Volvo dealer but haven't had it in yet, I just wanted to know what I'm likely to run into as I try to get this resolved. How is the settlement worded?
Volvo Cars North America is adamant that 10-years is 10-years. The date is based on "beyond the terms of the new car warranty" which begins on the date of the delivery to the first owner. If it is an '09, these were first delivered in late '08 and the '00s probably started delivery in September of '09 so you are probably out of luck unless you s80 stayed at the dealer well into November. So check out http://FixYourETM.com. This will give you a permanent fix for $599 Canadian plus your shipping to XeMODeX. Volvo's charge will be more than this.

Announcing my affiliation with XeMODeX, Inc. as Internet correspondent and consultant to Volvophiles needing help with failing ETMs. See http://FixYourETM.com. For the full history of this problem see http://VEXEDvolvo.org

ljjones
Year and Model: 1999 S70 AWD
United States of America
ljjones

Does XeMODeX replace recall software?

Post by ljjones » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:14 pm

Don, does the Volvo ETM recall software fix affect the XeMODeX contactless rebuild at all? I'm still running the original ETM in my '99 S70 AWD. The car displayed the ETM light a few times several years ago, so I had the software upgrade (Volvo recall) installed. I haven't had any trouble with it since then, but I guess one of these days I'll need the XeMODeX rebuild. Does it make any difference to XeMODeX if the recall software is installed?

2019 S60 T6AWD Inscription, Pine Gray / Maroon Brown / Linear Lime

ljjones
Year and Model: 1999 S70 AWD
United States of America
ljjones

Post by ljjones » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:07 pm

And what, exactly, did the software upgrade do to keep the ETM light off? :?

2019 S60 T6AWD Inscription, Pine Gray / Maroon Brown / Linear Lime