IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
Did you know? 🤔
Logged in users can get email notification of topic replies Log in or register (free).
Amazon Link Buy your stuff using this and it helps MVS!

What this ETM forum is about...

Do you have a failing Electronic Throttle Module? What steps to take if you do, plus the latest ETM news. Volvo 1999-2002 models only please.
djgonzo007
Year and Model: 1999 V70 R
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
djgonzo007

Re: What this ETM forum is about...

Post by djgonzo007 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:27 am

The check engine light on my '99 V70 R recently came on so I took it to my local independent volvo mechanic to diagnose. The mechanic checked the fault codes and said they refer to a faulty ETM. He suggested I take it to the dealer to have them diagnose the problem further and noted replacing the module would cost $700-$1200.

Aside from the check engine light coming on I notice no difference in the performance of the car. Idle is smooth, acceleration is smooth, and the engine runs strong for a car with 170K+ miles.

I have yet to take the car to the dealer (Volvo of San Diego). I have owned the car for under 6 months and am new to Volvos in general. I'm aware my car is outside of the recall/warranty. Before I take the car to the dealer I want to have an idea of my alternatives. I don't really feel like taking the car to the dealer, having them charge me to diagnose the problem and find out they want $700-$1200 to fix the problem. I guess I'm looking for ideas and info from those of you that are (or have been) in this situation.

A few questions...
1. How much time do I have before the ETM fails completely?
2. What options do I have aside from the dealer replacing/upgrading the ETM. I am aware of the XeMODeX aftermarket fix and have read mixed reviews as to its effectiveness in fixing the problem.
3. I spoke with the prior owner and he said he didn't receive the recall notice although he was aware of it. I'm not sure about the owner before him but according to the receipts I have (the car was serviced at a Volvo dealer) the ETM wasn't replaced within the last 2 years. Is there a case I could make with the dealer as to why the recal was not performed on this vehicle when it was serviced by a Volvo dealer?

TIA!

ManchesterAndy
Year and Model: S80 2.435 SE 2000
ManchesterAndy

Post by ManchesterAndy » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:06 pm

Dear all,

Firstly, I'd like to say thanks for your tips. I'm a new member today after reading this and fixing my ETM (cleaning)
The instructions were second to none and I was delighted after trying all sorts to solve the revs drop. I basically removed the hose, sprayed a bit of WD40 in there and cleaned the black / brownish film of the cylinder. Felt quite proud of myself after wards as well. great results!

I bought this 2000 S80 2.4 SE here in England (they sell between 1 - 3 1/2 thousand pounds) I have had the car now 1 year and haven't had any problems until this. The car is immaculate, came from a family that had lost their elderly father (bit of a bonus for me) The only problems I have had up to now is the ETM & I solved a problem today with a faulty cylinder (1)

I'm 37 years old and I have had my fair share of cars (mainly German) I must say, this car is one of my favorites to date. It's such a smooth car with options that are still amazing compared with new models today, i'm still baffled how I managed to purchase such a great motor for such little money...I have already had a year out of it and apart from the above fixed problems, the car is almost flawless. We have a young family, so it was time for a sensible car. What a streak of luck...i'd never considered a Volvo in the past as it always came with the 'farmer / boring, even boring farmer stigma attached.

I'm so glad it's not the version you sell over there though, i have read SO many complaints about it on here....seems like an absolute nightmare, i was shocked! Volvo's were always known for reliability.

This forum is fantastic and has saved me a small fortune. I'm over the moon with the car and I'm so happy it's running so smooth again.

Now i'm a member, I can now search for the guy who gave me the best tip ever on the cylinder issue and thank him.
Cylinder 1 misfiring.

I had tried new a new plug, cleaned the wires, cleaned the coil, replaced the coil, WD40, & several hours labor.
I still had this misfiring and flashing engine management warning light along with a "Drive slowly - Service urgently needed"
I had plugged the car in and knew it was cylinder 1 so it was so frustrating when i couldn't solve the problem.
I was advised by someone on here to rev the (expletive) out of it for a couple of minutes in L on the motorway.

Bingo! The car is like new again! Would you believe it?
When my wife asked how i'd fixed the car I must admit, i left the revving in a low gear out of my detailed operation.

I'm so grateful to the site and to you (Don ETM guy)for your help.

All the best,

Andrew - Manchester, England.

Alston
Year and Model: 2007
Alston

Post by Alston » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:50 pm

Hello,
This is a limited success, as a Recall has not been initiated (and the problem will reoccur), but at least Volvo and the World knows that can not cover up such a debacle and silence concerned customers as said by the other person above as well....