IPD sale XeMODeX - Experts in Volvo Electronics
MVS-Amazon link helps MVS!

Get email notification of topic replies. Log in or register (free). Amazon Link Buy anything with this and it helps MVS!

The ETM letter to owners

Do you have a failing Electronic Throttle Module? What steps to take if you do, plus the latest ETM news. Volvo 1999-2002 models only please.
DonWillson
Year and Model: 2000 V70XC

The ETM letter to owners

Post by DonWillson »

Here is the letter that is going out to affected owners. The first one gives the details and the second is the form to file for yor refund. On the refund claim form you should of course include your full name, address and phone number.

Don Willson for VEXED
http://VEXEDvolvo.org

Mr. John Sample
123 Main Street
Anywhere, USA 12345

Your Vehicle Identification Number is: YV12345678912345567

Volvo Cars of North America, LLC, has voluntarily decided to extend the warranty period for the Electronic Throttle System function on your vehicle to 10 years or 200,000 miles from the original in service date and zero miles, whichever comes first. In addition, Volvo Cars of North America, LLC, is providing you with a free Electronic Throttle System software upgrade, which will be available after March 1, 2006.
If you are not currently experiencing any of the symptoms described below, we encourage you to wait until March 2006. At that time Volvo will have the software upgrade available through your servicing authorized Volvo retail facility. At your next regularly scheduled service appointment or retailer visit after March 1, 2006, Volvo will install the upgraded software on your vehicle
Why is Volvo extending the warranty on the Electronic Throttle System?
The California Air Resources Board believes that your vehicle may posses an inability to meet certain California emission-control requirements for its useful life due to the Electronic Throttle System. Volvo Car Corporation and Volvo Cars of North America, LLC have agreed to extend the warranty to address this concern.
What conditions might be evident if this system needs repair?
Your vehicle may experience situations related to the affected Electronic Throttle System function in which the Check Engine Light or ETS light illuminate.
Additional symptoms that may be associated with this condition include, uneven engine idle, and/or the onset of "limp home mode", a condition that affects drivability potentially restricting maximum vehicle speed to between approximately 10 and 30 miles per hour.
Is this warranty extension a recall?
This is not a recall campaign. As the limited warranty on the ETS has been extended, there is no corrective action required. Unless you experience the above mentioned symptoms you do not need to contact your retailer. At your next regularly scheduled service appointment or retailer visit after March 1, 2006 Volvo will install the upgraded software on your vehicle.
How will Volvo and your retailer assist in this matter?
If, within 10 years or 200,000 miles, whichever comes first, from the date your vehicle was originally placed into service and zero miles, your vehicle exhibits any of the conditions mentioned above regarding the Electronic Throttle System function, contact your nearest authorized Volvo retailer to schedule an appointment for a diagnosis. Repairs or replacements required based on the diagnosis and which are a result of an Electronic Throttle System failure will be covered by this extended warranty and performed at no charge.
Are there other conditions not related to the Electronic Throttle System that may exhibit similar symptoms?
There are other conditions and systems that may cause the above symptoms that are not a result of an Electronic Throttle System failure. Repairs of such conditions would not be covered by this extended warranty. Only repairs or replacements required based on the diagnosis and which are a result of an Electronic Throttle System failure will be covered by this extended warranty and performed at no charge.

Have you previously paid for this repair?
If you have already paid to have the Electronic Throttle System repaired or replaced within 10 years and less than 200,000 miles, you may be eligible for a refund.
How do you apply for a refund?
Announcing my affiliation with XeMODeX, Inc. as Internet correspondent and consultant to Volvophiles needing help with failing ETMs. See http://FixYourETM.com. For the full history of this problem see http://VEXEDvolvo.org
quadsport
Year and Model:
2000 volvo s-80 ETM replaced

Post by quadsport »

I just want to let you know my situaution. I received the letter for the software upgrade for the ETM. I took it to the dealer about six months ago and they upgraded it. About a month ago my car starting bogging and running funny. My local mechanic changed my fuel filter(which by the way was the original and my car has 84,000mile) and hoped that would fix it. It didn't. I thankfully found this forum searching the web and a wonderful individual replied to me about the bogging. They told me it sounded like the ETM and suggested getting it diagnosed by a dealer due to the extednded warrant(10 years or 200,000mile). Needless to say the ETM was replaced and it didn't cost me a penny. I thank "YOU" who educated me on this particular extended warranty! If not for you I would have had my mechanic trouble shooting for who knows how long. I didn't realize that this could be a dangerous malfunction. My car basically bogged at 1to 20000 rpm's. I'm considering trading it in? Any advise or suggestions??
jasonaileo
Year and Model:
Re: The ETM letter to owners

Post by jasonaileo »

Is there some amount of minimum service that a Volvo dealer will provide with no charge in conjunction with the ETM issue? I'm asking this because I own a '99 V70 (126k) that exhibits the ETM failure symptoms of rough idle, and rough downshifting/idle drop to around 700-ish when I slow down and stop at a light or stop sign. I do not have any 'idiot lights' coming on the dash and no codes.
I spoke with a dealer about what I was experiencing and he made it sound like they would start by reading the codes (for $80) and if no ETM codes came up, then I would have to pay that stupid eighty bucks. If ETM codes were present then they would progress with further diagnosing the problem. He mentioned the software upgrade and cleaning the throttle body but made no or little mention of them replacing the ETM.
Is there some level of free diagnosis they will do as part of this ETM issue for someone who is experiencing the symptoms but hasn't had them trigger any codes/lights?
MadeInJapan
MVS Moderator
Year and Model: '98 S70 T5 '07S40T5

Post by MadeInJapan »

Welcome to MVS.
It really depends on the dealer to what degree of "pre-replacement" service they will do. However, there is an ETM software (that you mentioned and it DOES make a difference) that is free for all affected cars and they should, at the very least do this for you (and possibly clean your TB). If they won't do at least the software upgrade for free, then post back and we'll try to help you. Frankly, if they won't do this, I would go to another dealer and complain at the same time to Volvo of North America- it is a know "free service". Since your '99 is approaching the 10 year mark, you really need a paper trail that shows you were having issues with your ETM, now. You might want to check with the dealer to see when your "in-service" date was...it could be that your 10 years are already up. To me, if your 10 year mark hasn't gotten here yet, the risk of $80 would be worth it, for them to scan your codes with the Volvo tool...your regular OBD-II tool won't pick them up. If your ETM issues seem definite, then those (ETS, actually) codes are most likely going to come up on their scanner.
Regards,
MIJ
'98 S70 T5 Emrld Grn Met/Beige Tons of Upgrades Mobil-1
'04 V70 2.5T Red/Taupe Some Upgrades Mobil-1
'07 S40 T5 AWD 6 speed manual! Silver/Black Stage1 Heico & Elevate
'07 S60 2.5T Blue/Taupe- my kid's Volvo
brtff20
Year and Model: V70XC 1999

Post by brtff20 »

I have a question, I just found your site and learned of this issue when my mechanic told me the code for the ETM was showing on my car, but i'm not experiencing any of the issues YET. I bought the car used because it was a volvo and i love the car, but the extended warranty expired in december before i knew of this issue. I've called Volvo of North America and was told they have fufilled their obligation and now its my problem. This is disappointing to me as i thought they were a safe car company and this seems to have the potential of being dangerous. I'm waiting on a call back from a higher up but it was stressed to me they are going to refuse to fix it, i am the third owner and the recall letter went to the first owner. Any suggestions on how to approach this and is there any hope of having them extend the warranty so i can have it replaced?
jasonaileo
Year and Model:

Post by jasonaileo »

You are very likely out of luck on this one. They stick to their guns on the lengthy procedure they require to validate an ETM replacement that they will pay for. I lucked out, had my 99 V70 crap the bed (ETM failed) and Volvo replaced it today at their expense, but my 10-year mark isn't up until May 09. You have a very valid option to spend around $500-600 for an aftermarket XeModeX non-contacting ETM to replace your faulty one. Let me clarify, you send your ETM to them, they refurbish it with their part and return it to you to re-install. It eliminates the bad design feature of the OEM ETM that is destined to fail. Look around on this site for more information on this. I've read about half a dozen folks now have done it with success.
brtff20
Year and Model: V70XC 1999

Post by brtff20 »

I appreciate your reply, I get the impression i'm in for a monumental jerk job, and i'm going to end up fixing their mistake using my money. My ETM isn't acting up yet therefore i'd assume it would be even harder for me to get them to fix it. Its sad that this is the approach they are taking to poor engineering, i'd expect more from volvo.
jasonaileo
Year and Model:

Post by jasonaileo »

Drop me an e-mail at jason.aileo@yahoo.com and I'll give you some information I'd rather not post in forum. You may still be within the 10-year window for the extended ETM warranty. Anyway, drop me that e-mail. Take care.
Jason

99 V70
Brucebo
Year and Model: 850 '96, S70 '99

Post by Brucebo »

MadeInJapan wrote:It really depends on the dealer to what degree of "pre-replacement" service they will do. However, there is an ETM software (that you mentioned and it DOES make a difference) that is free for all affected cars and they should, at the very least do this for you (and possibly clean your TB).MIJ
The following is my observations and interpretations of what I experienced. It is not based on any thorough diagnostic analysis. I think the software update is a mixed bag. It may make the ETM last a little longer my moving the idle position and it may keep you out of trouble a little longer, by avoiding limp home mode, by making the internal diagnostics less sensitive. But the latter is a two edged sword. By making the diagnostics less sensitive you lose an earlier warning, and it throws codes LATER, thereby often freeing Volvo of the warranty coverage by running out the clock!!!! Since I just went the Xemodex route, I'm now quite annoyed that I got this software "upgrade." I was experiencing all the classic early performance issues with a failing ETM, and my ETS light was coming on intermittently (this was my second ETM). If I was using the cruise control when the ETS light came on, the ECU killed the cruise control. My car ('99 S70) was three months out of warranty for this issue. Volvo did the software update recall for free. I told them not to touch the ETM at this time. Afterward I was still experiencing all the early warning performance issues, but now the ETS light NEVER comes on. But the cruise control still *now mysteriously* dies intermittently! So basically the ECU is still monitoring performance and killing the cruise, but NOT informing the driver by lighting the ETS light, not going into limp home mode, and NOT throwing codes!!!!! So this software update seems to me more self serving rather than customer serving.

-Bruce
hansfont
Year and Model: s60 t5 2001

Post by hansfont »

My s60 t5 2001 is at the dealer in Ponce, Puerto Rico (Trebol Motors) with an ETM problem diagnostic. They are trying to charge me more than $2,000.00 for the repair, and at this moment, I simply don't have that money. I've read about the extended warranty but I have not been able to find a valid document to show them that they should not charge me for the repair.

I will deeply appreciate if someone can help me. My e-mail is hansfont@yahoo.com and my 24/7 phone number is (787)464-1088.

Please help me!!

Hans Font